Using an SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cali shot doc, Sep 7, 2012.

1. cali shot doc macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting an iMac since it looks like the next generation is going to be announced soon. I want to have a SSD for start up and my core programs. It seems pretty expensive to have apple install it so I was wondering if it could be used externally? My goal is to have 2-3tb HD with a 40-80gb SSD (only looking to put OS on it along with my office for mac programs, aperture & iTunes)

2. mabaty macrumors member

You can install both an SSD + mechanical drive in new iMac's, why not do that? it is not very hard to open it up if you have some good suction cups. But i suspect the refresh will support USB3, so either that or Thunderbolt external could work OK.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is a great suggestion.

I opened up a friends to install a larger drive for him. It was very fast & easy.

4. cali shot doc thread starter macrumors member

my only thing is that i have read that it will void your warranty and that its easy for dust to get under the screen when you put it back on.

5. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For an iMac that was originally made with an HDD? Yes. Placing an SSD in an iMac is beyond tedious and you can break something.