Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I'm thinking of getting an iMac since it looks like the next generation is going to be announced soon. I want to have a SSD for start up and my core programs. It seems pretty expensive to have apple install it so I was wondering if it could be used externally? My goal is to have 2-3tb HD with a 40-80gb SSD (only looking to put OS on it along with my office for mac programs, aperture & iTunes)

mabaty

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Boise, ID
You can install both an SSD + mechanical drive in new iMac's, why not do that? it is not very hard to open it up if you have some good suction cups. But i suspect the refresh will support USB3, so either that or Thunderbolt external could work OK.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You can install both an SSD + mechanical drive in new iMac's, why not do that? it is not very hard to open it up if you have some good suction cups. But i suspect the refresh will support USB3, so either that or Thunderbolt external could work OK.

This is a great suggestion.

I opened up a friends to install a larger drive for him. It was very fast & easy.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011

my only thing is that i have read that it will void your warranty and that its easy for dust to get under the screen when you put it back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.