Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hey guys I have a question to ask about using my australian macbook (late 2009) over in america and canada. I know I have to buy a power adapter to fit the wall sockets, but do I also need to buy a power converter? In australia we have 240volts and america/canada have a lower level of volts. So will my macbooks power adapter just beef up the amount of power it gets from the wall socket automatically or will I need to invest in a converter?

Also the same question for the iphone charger. I'll be taking my iphone over with me and will sometimes be using that charger that comes with the iphone..

Thanks!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think it should work, I know my US power cords will take anywhere from 100v-240v, so I'd assume they sell the same cords in Australia.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure the power brick manages the voltages so won't need to worry about your MacBook. I'm not sure about the iPhone though.

I'm not sure, but your MacBook might charge slower than usual.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The power adaptors are universal. All you need is the correct socket adaptor and you're in business.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Took a G4 Powerbook to Turkey from Canada and all we used was the adapter to fit the socket. No power converter needed.

Simn

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure the power brick manages the voltages so won't need to worry about your MacBook. I'm not sure about the iPhone though.

I'm not sure, but your MacBook might charge slower than usual.

Yep, the power brick acts as a transformer, it changes the voltage to suit your laptop, so in theory it should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.