Using Current att Sim in New iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoleRx, Sep 19, 2007.

1. NoleRx macrumors newbie

Has anyone activated their iphone with iNdependence and their old att sim to avoid the 2 year contract? Also what data plan did you add to your phone....MediaMax + 200 tm for $19.99? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if att will care that you are on an iphone as long as you are still paying the bill. The two advantages to this are no new 2 year contract and you get to keep your discounts on your plan if you have any. Disadvantages...no VVM.

Thoughts?????

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, that's what this whole "unlocking" and "fake activation" discussions are all about.

When you buy the iPhone, activation is only through AT&T (new and existing customers) with a data plan and 2 year contract...

3. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I'm not getting it, if you already have AT&T , why even go through all that how much cheaper could your plan be if you plan on adding the 20.00 iphone data plan anyway.

4. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

You have the choice of picking your phone on their website under your account, you can make it to anything you want...

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Looks like he's got some sort of $19.99 voice plan which is the minimum. His other concern was the 2 year contract...

6. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I am curious if the 19.99 unlimited data plan works with the iphone because it specificially states its for "some samsung phone and some blackberries"

7. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

My point is twofold:

1. I don't want another two year contract with them
    2. They don't allow me to use my current discount (24%) with an iphone plan

I would add the 2 years if I could keep my discount but att doesn't allow this. So by adding a "real" iphone plan with data it would be a $40 swing every month (lose my discount + add $20 data plan).

I've read that you can add the unlimited MediaNet (EDGE) plan for $19.99 to your current phone plan and then switch the sim to the iphone and activate it with iNdependence and that's it. It doesn't need to be unlocked if you are using an att sim.

Hopefully this clarifies my original post. Thanks for all your responses!

Has anyone done this?

Has anybody tried this?

8. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm the exact same boat as you are...I'm on a business plan I pay less than $20 a month for. With a MediaMax data plan I'll still only be at $30-$40 a month. I'll be trying the unlock methods later next week when I get my iPhone and I'll let you know how it goes after I try it. Of course it would be nice if some people could reply to my thread about hacktheiphone.com to tell me if the site's unlock methods are good. Also....If I'm going to be using an At&t SIM do I need to actually "unlock" the phone or just bypass activation using INdependence? Thanks.

9. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read, you just need to activate it with your current att sim in the iphone with iNdependence. You need to "unlock" it if you are going to use a different carrier.

I'm surprised there aren't more people in this boat. I've also read that you can add the unlimited MediaMax plan to your existing line and it will work with the iphone without incurring additional charges. I'm just looking for confirmation from someone who has done it.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Using iNdependence is still an unauthorized hack, though. It will work but only until the next iPhone and later, iTunes updates.

Activating the phone by any other means than using iTunes is hacking...

11. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand this and am not debating whether or not this is a hack. It is however much easier to activate using iNdependence than to go through the whole unlock process!

Regardless, the purpose of this thread is get confirmation on whether or not it will work.

As for how long/or if it will continue to work after the firmware/itunes update...well that remains to be seen!

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

From experience then, follow the links on the forum on how to use iNdenpendence to activate your iPhone. Then, since you are on AT&T, you do not need to unlock. Just put your AT&T SIM card in...

To be on the safe side, do not update your iPhone with updates until you are sure the new iNdependence will reactivate your iPhone after the updates...

13. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Using Current att Sim in New iphone

Hi,

This is my experience.

I had an existing AT&T account.

I got my iPhone on 6/29, had the activation problem. So I pulled my AT&T sim card out of my razor, and popped it into my iPhone.

It worked! I could make phone calls. I soon discovered that's all I could do. The iPhone features would not work with a "generic" sim card.

You may have a different experience.

Joe G, Samoyeds, Canon, Apple, and a loving wife. Who could ask for anything more.

14. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

By the iPhone features, I assume you are referring to Visual Voicemail. Are there anything else that didn't work? I would imagine internet, mail etc worked.

15. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

So it sounds like it would work with no problems. I do think you need to add a data plan to your existing phone otherwise you might get hammered with a huge data bill. I don't think the network knows the difference between phones. All MediaNet is is EDGE, regardless of what att calls it, ie iphone data plan, medianet, mediamax etc.

Does this sound right?

16. chounder macrumors newbie

Old Cingular SIM & iPhone

So I originally had my Cingular (now AT&T) SIM in a RAZR, took it out and placed it in a Crackberry. My iPhone just arrived about 20 minutes ago and I installed my Cingular SIM in it and ran "iNdependence_v1.2.1a"

My new iPhone 8GB now says "cingular" in the top left. I can make and receive calls! It also appears I have access to EDGE.

Same old Cingular/AT&T account, not activated through iTunes.

Form the earlier posts the question was "Will AT&T know you are using an iPhone and EDGE and will they adjust your bill accordingly?"

Can anyone field this question?

17. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read they in theory will know you are on an iphone as it identifies itself to the network via the imei number or whatever. The question really is do they care or even though the computers know you are on an iphone will it send out some sort of signal so that a human can do something about it. You just need to make sure you have some sort of data plan or you WILL be charged for the EDGE data you use and it would be quite expensive.

I've seen on another message board where someone said they were doing this without incurring additional charges and that they had been doing this for a couple of months.

18. chounder macrumors newbie

Edge Off

Is it possible to turn EDGE off under the current Firmware?

19. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you need to ssh in and do it that way. There are threads around on how to do it but it's not as simple as just disabling it in your settings menu....like it should be!

20. chounder macrumors newbie

Do you recall the thread? Many Thanx!

21. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you add a data plan yet? Have you had any problems so far?

22. NoleRx thread starter macrumors newbie

23. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

Nole,

Yes, this work. I did the same thing (used old SIM card to maintain my discount). I already had the Unlimited Media Max plan (I switched to it after activation of my Treo) and wanted to keep it. My voice and data work just fine - I used Independance to jailbreak and activate the phone with the old SIM and I've also used AppTap to install some extra apps. Enjoy.

24. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Anybody tried using a ATT SIM from a buisness account? i would like to use my buissness number to use my Iphone. I know for a fact that if you Unlock the iphone you can use other ATT sims.