Using iPhone 3GS as a "dumbphone" on AT&T

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I'd like to use a 3GS as a dumbphone, no data connection, on my family plan.

Can this be done? Any input?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I've got my son trying the same thing. Everyone says ATT will eventually detect the phone and sign you up for the $15 data plan. Could be days, weeks, or months..

Turn all data off in settings and rely on WiFi.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
How could they force you to get a data plan if you don't use data?

Only in America I guess:rolleyes:

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
How could they force you to get a data plan if you don't use data?

Only in America I guess:rolleyes:
Maybe it was in the 50 some page User Agreement no one really reads and just signs off to get their phone? Only in America... such simpleminded-ness is cute :)

Anyways, as many have said eyeseeyou, you can't use the phone without the high probability of ATT noticing and tacking you with a $15 a month data plan.

To my knowledge, the only two things you can do is either one, use it as a full fledged iPhone with data costs and the whole package, or two, essentially turn it into an iPod Touch by hacktivating and removing the sim card [which obviously means absolutely zero possibility to make calls].

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
The sales rep also said this can be done. Just wanted to see if anyone was successful.

The "dumbphone" plan is $9.99 and it's for my 9 year old. Just figured it it would be nice for her to have all the apps, specifically a gps app, but no data fees.

Thanks.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It really depends on the account. It can be done, but it rarely works.
It's not going to work on a new account. Only old accounts that were upgraded to smartphones without a data plan (when AT&T didn't require them) and haven't been upgraded since.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Even though it most likely won't work for a long time, feel free to try it. Worst case scenario is you'll be charged $0.66 for 1 days worth of data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.