Using iPhone 3GS as a "dumbphone" on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Nov 20, 2011.

1. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I'd like to use a 3GS as a dumbphone, no data connection, on my family plan.

Can this be done? Any input?

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've got my son trying the same thing. Everyone says ATT will eventually detect the phone and sign you up for the $15 data plan. Could be days, weeks, or months..

Turn all data off in settings and rely on WiFi.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It can but once At&t detects the phone on your account they will force a data plan on you.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Cannot be done. Just read terms of service clearly stated on their site.

5. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

How could they force you to get a data plan if you don't use data?

Only in America I guess:rolleyes:

6. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Maybe it was in the 50 some page User Agreement no one really reads and just signs off to get their phone? Only in America... such simpleminded-ness is cute :)

Anyways, as many have said eyeseeyou, you can't use the phone without the high probability of ATT noticing and tacking you with a $15 a month data plan.

To my knowledge, the only two things you can do is either one, use it as a full fledged iPhone with data costs and the whole package, or two, essentially turn it into an iPod Touch by hacktivating and removing the sim card [which obviously means absolutely zero possibility to make calls].

7. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

The sales rep also said this can be done. Just wanted to see if anyone was successful.

The "dumbphone" plan is $9.99 and it's for my 9 year old. Just figured it it would be nice for her to have all the apps, specifically a gps app, but no data fees.

Thanks.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It really depends on the account. It can be done, but it rarely works.
    It's not going to work on a new account. Only old accounts that were upgraded to smartphones without a data plan (when AT&T didn't require them) and haven't been upgraded since.

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Even though it most likely won't work for a long time, feel free to try it. Worst case scenario is you'll be charged $0.66 for 1 days worth of data