iPad Pro USING IPP 12.9 AS MAIN DISPLAY FOR PS4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ibookg409, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Hello all,

Is there a way to use my IPP as the sole display for my PS4? I travel often and take my PS4 with me on the road. The TVs in a lot of hotels do not allow you to hook up external devices to the extra ports on the TV. Can I use my IPP as a display for the PS4? IF so, how do you do it?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'm really not sure I'm afraid. The best app for doing stuff like this is Duet Display, though they just say Mac & PC. It might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they have any suggestions/workarounds, or if it's supported? :)

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

No way to do this with an iPad Pro that I've found, but the PS Vita natively supports working as PS4 display/controller combination over wifi. Might not be a 100% solution for you if you don't like how the PS4 controls map to the Vita, but worth giving a spin if you can borrow someone's Vita to test. They're less than $200 new as well, although you'll probably have to order from Amazon to get one, unless you're in Japan.

Edit to add: Sony has official "second screen" support for computers and iOS/android, but that doesn't transmit game video, it only displays secondary information if the app/game supports it specifically.

4. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

This bums me out.

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Use the controls on the tv to change the input, not the remote.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Don't shoot the messenger but if you have a MacBook laptop you can use remote play on that.

7. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

So how does remote play work. Do I leave my PS4 at home when I travel across country our do I take it with me?

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeap. Basically PS4 stays home plugged into network (hopefully hard wired).

Then when you leave you take USB cable and dual shock 4. Then as long as you have good internet connection it works great.

9. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I also take my Mac mini and I can use the IPP as a display for my Mac mini. So it could work that way, yes?

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

11. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Try the playcast. It just came out from its beta 2 days ago.

You can get it from the App Store but you will need a separate mfi controller for the best experience.

12. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I beta tested the Playcast app, the app is basically unofficial remote play for PS4 on iOS devices. I used the Steel Series Nimbus MFI Controller paired to the iPad. It was very good indeed. Although now it is £7.99 on the UK store I might jump in to buy it.

13. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

It won't work very well though. You're going through two layers of latency. First you're getting a video feed from your PS4 over an internet connection, and then you're processing that through the Duet Display app, which is a great app but not perfect.

It won't work out very well. I don't k ow why you'd want to do this anyway?

14. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I just want to be able to play my PS4 easily. Half of the hotel room don't have TVs that allow you to plug in an external device. So unless I want to buy a new tv every time I travel I need a better solution.

15. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

The PS4 is really a home device.

16. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Even if possible the Lag or Input response time would be so bad it would be unplayable. You press trigger to shoot and there's a delay in that action.

17. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I know. But I'm home so infrequently. I'm on the road now. Luckily the hotel in San Diego had a functioning tv.

18. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

just noticed this in another post - "PlayStation 4 remote play has arrived for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch"

I don't have PS4 so am not sure how useful it might be or how well it works.

19. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Here's an example of what remote play look and feels like:

Using the playcast apps uses pretty much the same infrastructure so the performance about the same as that on the MacBook.

20. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

The issue here is that he wants to use Duet to go from Mac to iPad. That's an additional layer of lag.

21. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I wish Apple & Microsoft would update the Xbox app on IOS to allow similar functionality, but right now they are reserving that for Windows tablets/PC only. Too bad they can't get together and work something out that would allow iOS/macOS to recognize the new Bluetooth Xbox One controller as a MFI controller, and display the streaming gameplay.

There is no way to simply input a standard HDMI signal into an iOS device that I have ever found.

There are a few devices for PC/MAC that allow Video display and capture, but I have heard that usually the lag created by the capture device simply makes games unplayable. I did recently see that elgato is advertising a USB3 capture device with minimum lag, but it has to be a very recent spec Mac with a powerful GPU. None of this applies to IOS devices however.

I even tried Parallels access, steaming the Windows 10 xbox app on El Capitan, and it was too laggy to play Halo: MCC with all the hoops the video went through. I hit the xbox home button and the picture would freeze as well, but not the audio in the menus.

One final option is a small HDMI portable screen, like this one:
    http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=18

I think Gaems also has some luggable console options as well.

22. lchlch macrumors 6502a

The op does not state that he wants to go through duet. That's what's recommended by another poster in the 2nd post.

There's no point going through Duet anyways if you remote play directly to the iPad.