Using my iPad Pro and Pencil for marking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Works4Me, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Works4Me macrumors regular

Thought I'd post this just in case someone is interested in a similar use case. I'm not an artist at all, but just before Christmas I bought a 9.7 iPad Pro 128 GB and pencil from an OpenBox store here in Vancouver. I decided I was going to give it a try for marking student papers. I teach undergrad and graduate students in online environments and have to make many papers each term.

If students haven't given me papers in pdf format, I turn them into pdfs, add them to iCloud drive, and use PDF Expert to mark them up. So far the experiment has been an unqualified success for me. I love being able to underline, cross out, add notes with the apple pencil. Ironically, it took this kind of technology to do (more or less) what I used to do twenty years ago to assignments that were handed in on paper. :) But there's more flexibility in that I can also type comments if I want, no papers to carry around, and it's easy uploading marked up papers for students to see.

The iPad still drives me nuts with some of its limitations, but for this use case, for me at least, it's great!

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't have an iPad Pro, so I can't speak to the capabilities of the Pen, but I am a high school teacher, so I'd like to know more about the practicality of grading with it. Thanks for sharing.

3. Works4Me thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually been pleasant surprised by how handy it is to grade this way. But I should underscore that what clinches it for me is being to use Apple's pencil. Were it not for that, I'd rather mark on a computer rather than the iPad, or at least, use an external keyboard for the iPad. The pencil is really the marking game-changer for me.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Does it have to be a PDF for you to write on? Have you tried it with Google Doc files?

5. Works4Me thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried it now for you, but no pencil support for making up in Google Docs, it seems.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Okay. Thanks for trying and getting back to me. I really appreciate it.