Using Norton Virus protection.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Choctaw, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I have my IP as Comcast. When I put my new iMac on the network the tech people told me I should download the Norton Virus software from them for Apple computers. They offer it free of change with my IP membership. I do use the Norton for my PC's. Just wondering what advise I would get here. So far I am not using anything on my Apple. Yes I know folks here think there is NO threat from the web for Apple. Maybe using the Norton might slow things down or maybe interfere someway.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Unless you do a lot of file sharing with Windows computers I seriously wouldn't bother with AV. AV may stop Windows from getting infected, but will do nothing else on your Mac.

3. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Thank for you kind response....I don't always get kindness here.
    Choctaw

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

[​IMG]

There was no need to be unkind.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As the above poster stated, you don't need it. Also I've dealt with Norton and Symantec for over 10 years while working in IT and I can easily tell you those products are the worst of the bunch for finding anything and will seriously slow down any machine they touch. (Especially 360!).

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with others- no need for it. It is not great software, can slow down your machine, and is unnecessary. I have run 20+ years of Macs never using antivirus, except when it came free with the computer and then it did slow things down always scanning, etc. The only reason I could see using it is like Stridemat said, to protect your windows machines, but if you keep those current with AV then no worries.

7. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

flyfish29 thanks and Happy Easter to you.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I'm a comcast subscriber as well and made the switch to Mac about one year ago. I used to use the free AV software from Comcast - never got a virus but always had a slow computer. Anyway, one of the perks of switching to Mac was the lack of need for AV or Spyware, or defraging... So far so good so I suggest not using AV...

Also, one good thing about Comcast is that they provide a free router - for only $9.95 shipping. Not a bad deal and if there are problems they fix it.

9. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I had to buy my router or rent one from Comcast that was a few years ago. They wanted to charge me a monthly fee for it. It might be different depending on where a person is located. I use a wired router so it would not help me. Comcast is out for the money for sure. Now they have this posted on their site.

To qualify for a free wireless router from Comcast, you must currently be leasing a High-Speed Internet modem or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. Customers who qualify can get one wireless router at no charge.

10. petercl macrumors newbie

petercl

I used it for a few weeks but I thought it slowed down my iMac and Macbook Pro, so I uninstalled it.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm curious why you would ask this, after you already got answers on this topic in a virus thread you started about a month ago.
    If you're referring to responses you got in your other virus thread, it's not being "unkind" when people challenge false statements you made.

The facts are the same as they were a month ago: There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Yes. I have the comcast triple play package so I do not have to rent their wireless modem (which also works wired) since I am already required to rent the digital voice modem for the phone. The free wireless router cost $9.95 for shipping. The first one they sent me was defective and they did take a while to replace it and they did not have them in stock at the local office. Not good but if I did have a problem and it turned out to be my own modem them comcast makes me pay for the service call. Anyway, I've had their for about a year and I never had a signal problem in any room in my home.

13. rpenzinger macrumors member

14. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Nonsense. It is impossible for macs to have viruses. Everyone knows that.

15. simsaladimbamba

It is not impossible, it just hasn't happened yet.

16. nim81 macrumors member

Norton is worse than a virus... don't bother with it

17. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Keep the Norton protection on your PC's. However it's not needed on your mac.

18. nim81 macrumors member

Agree about it's not needed on the Mac, but I'd say get rid of it off the PCs and install Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

Removing Norton is like getting a memory upgrade.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

This article might add something to the discussion about cost and benefits of Anti-virus software for Macs:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2034348/-secure-apologises-trashing-clean-mac-files

It seems that so far anti-virus software for Macs has done significantly more harm than good.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Although be warned, you can't just install Norton, since its pretty much a virus. You have to use this:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

The fact that you need a Norton removal tool should speak volumes.

21. wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

Sophos

I have to agree with most of the posters on this thread in that you should not run any Norton AV solution. I do disagree that you should not run any AV software. I have tried Intego, Norton, Clam AV, and Sophos just to have some small level of protection against future threats. Out of these Sophos for the Mac is hands down the best solution in my opinion.

I have installed Sophos on a few machines and have not noticed any slowdown and it does not give any alerts or action prompts. The software auto updates and I have disabled the icon from the menu bar so I do not realize it is even running most of the time. Granted it has picked up nothing from any of my machines, but did pick-up something from my aging parents macbook.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

Give it a try before installing Norton for your own sake. Nortons affect on your system is very similar to that of a virus itself. Best of luck.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No antivirus will protect your Mac from future threats, since the nature of those threats has not been established. No AV can protect you from a virus that doesn't yet exist, because they don't know what to look for. Having AV installed is no protection against future threats.
    Sophos is NOT recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. Read the Virus/Malware link I posted for details. No antivirus is needed to protect your Mac from malware.

23. cuestakid macrumors 68000

With the Mac's market share growing, someone will eventually write a virus for Mac-the only reason someone hasn't, is because not enough people use Macs, therefore the amount of potential victims is low.

I personally think the next target will be iPhones-it hasn't really happened yet but the more popular they become, the bigger target they become. And when it happens, Apple will just shrug it off while preventing AV-like products from appearing on the app store-and people will wonder why Apple isn't doing anything.

24. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Oh yes it will, it will hog system resources, and is almost damn near impossible to totally remove,NEVER install Norton, or Symsntic:eek:

25. GGJstudios, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "market share myth" is exactly that: a myth. 10+ years ago, when there were far fewer Macs in the world, there were viruses. Now, 10 years later, Macs have a much larger market share and much larger installed base, and the number of Mac OS X viruses in the wild is zero. Apple sells over a million Macs per month and the Mac OS X installed base is around 50 million. Your statement that "not enough people use Macs" is completely false as a reason for the lack of Mac viruses.