Using Setup Assistant

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tombrown1949, Dec 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tombrown1949 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new 27" iMac. My current iMac has the latest OS X 10.11.2 installed. Will I have a problem if my new iMac only has OS X 10.11 and not the equal of my old iMac of OS X 10.11.2. I was hoping to migrate my old computer to my new iMac by using Set-up Assistant - so I will not know which OS is installed on it until the new iMac goes through the entire setup procedure. If I let my new iMac go through the entire set-up I could check which OS version I have but then I would have to use Migration Assistant with sharing my old iMac with my new iMac.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Just let it restore everything from the old to the new as that is what you seem to want done, going to take a while over a network connection though. Best bet it to have current time machine backup of old connect that drive to new then restore from it. If you are going to use both machines make sure to go into the system preferences -> network on one of them and change the machine name so you do not end up with two identical machines on the network with one having that stupid (1) after its name.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I don't see where this will cause problems.

Just connect the old Mac (or a backup drive created from that Mac).

At the appropriate point in the setup process, select the old Mac/drive as your source.

I will -guess- that the new Mac will migrate everything over without problems, however...

... at the end of the migration, you'll need to go to the App Store and fetch the software update to 10.11.2 ...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... you won't have a problem at all. What you don't want to do is the second process you mentioned where you make an account then migrate afterwards. That can cause problems with a USERID mismatch.

5. tombrown1949 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

My understanding is that you "can" use setup assistant to transfer backwards from a newer minor version of OS X (i.e. 10.11.2) to an older minor version of OS X (i.e. 10.11). However you can't transfer backwards from a new "major" version of OS X to an older "major" version of OS X (i.e. From El Capitan to Yosemite).

I'm testing that theory now. Setup assistant is in the process of setting up my new late 2015 27 iMac via Time Machine BU. The source iMac (i.e. The one the Time Machine BU was taken from) was running the latest version of OS X. I have no idea what version of El Capitan the new iMac is running. I'll just check the updates as soon as I get it up and running and install the latest version of OS X if needed.