iPad Pro Using the iPad Pro for studying

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smuffyns, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Smuffyns macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I´m currently studying accounting at uni, and for the last year I´ve been using my 2013 MBA for school stuff, note taking etc. It broke down last month and I´m thinking about what to use as an alternative.

I kinda don´t want to buy another MBA as I never did enjoy reading my own notes written on a computer.

After doing some research on alternatives I´ve come to the conclusion that using an iPP & a Pencil might be the way to go. I wanted to keep the device compact so I want the 9.7" device rather than the 12.9" one.

I also have an Apple Smart Keyboard which I could use for when I need to write essays and longer texts.

So I guess my question really is if anyone has used this device, specifically the 9.7" device for note taking and general all-round school stuff?

Also; should I go for the 32gb version or upgrade it to the 128gb version? It will mostly contain hand written notes, pdf´s, photos & audio recordings from class.

I did read this thread first but he seems to have the 12.9" device;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-college-students-review-of-the-ipad-pro.1959342/

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

Accounting major here. Started with 12.9 and downsized to 9.7. Portability factor was noticeable in terms of holding on to it for extended period of time when studying notes and overall taking up less space on shared class tables. Bigger screen obviously gives you more space to write notes on, but ive been writing just fine with the downsize. If you haven't already done so purchase Notability. Amazing note taking app. I also have no problem typing up papers with the Smart Keyboard attached. Noticeably smaller keys and layout compared to the big brother but it took me only a couple hours to adjust.

3. gp101 macrumors member

gp101

Optometry major here
    I really do prefer having the 9.7" for the exact same reasons you described!
    Notability is the only app I take notes on as well
    I don't have the Smart Keyboard as I don't type up my notes, but using the Pencil it's been absolutely awesome! :)

Having 128GB would be awesome if you put seasons upon seasons of TV shows or movies you want to watch while on the train/bus/not studying etc
    32GB should be able to handle all of what you want to use it for, unless you plan to keep all of your notes for the next few years on it, in which case iCloud or Dropbox would be your best friends :D

4. Smuffyns, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

Smuffyns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

Notability I already have and that was the software I intented to use most of the time.

Ive decided to buy the iPP, only question now that remains is the storage part.

I use netflix for all my extra curricular TV watching and I will be streaming all music via Spotify, so most of the storage space would be used by the school stuff. Should 32gb be enough or add some money and future proof the device with 128gb?

Btw; I have the old Bluetooth Smart Keyboard which came with in iMac, but that should be great to use nonetheless.

5. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

More space when it comes to data is always better. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. 32GB isn't awful-especially when you consider some people are still surviving on 16GB iPhones/Pads. I suggest the 128 simply because apps are only getting bigger and better. Also I'm assuming you'll have this device for some while if you're using it for school. You'll inevitably add more things to it over time. Lastly, check for the 128GB at Apple Authorized Resellers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc). You can often find it cheaper and Apple will then kindly price match up to 10% off. I saved $100 when purchasing my 256.

-Previous Apple employee

P.S. If you have the extra chips to do so I recommend the cellular model. It's a godsend to be connected to the web anytime you need it if wifi is not prevalent.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Second the cellular option. It's one of the things I love about iPads, the fact that it's always connected to Internet. You can also tether it to your iPhone, but that eats up iPhone battery.

7. kodos macrumors 6502

Same here, spend the extra on the cellular! Well worth it IMO. That's (and battery life) was what was missing from my Surface devices that made me go towards an iPad Pro - a fully contained device that I can just take out with me without worrying about chargers and hotspots. Instant on, instant network, and long battery life. I can deal with the issues with iOS for all of that.

8. Smuffyns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

I will not chip in the extra cash needed for cellular as money is tight.

However I am torn at the moment, my mate lent me both a 12.9" device and the 9.7" one.

I was sold on the 9.7" before I spent an hour or so playing around with the larger one.

There are definately pros and cons, although the big one might not be handy when attending lecture halls with very small tables in front of you, but this screen size when table room is no issue is great!

9. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

10. roneylirio macrumors member

I use mine to study, ipad pro 9.7, and have the 32g also give for my use, carry pdfs on google driver and take notes on the iPad notes, much sail on safari and see videos on netflix

11. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

My opinion is Notes Plus is way better than Notability.

12. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Can't help on the 9.7 vs 12", but I would recommend the 128 gig one over 32. I used an 32 gig iPad for my primary computer in grad school and it worked fine for school but I was always tight on space and had to delete movies, etc to load more in there. I upgraded to a 128 gig iPad mini and have never had space issues since.

13. jasonisme macrumors newbie

I recently bought the 9.7" 32GB to use for the same purpose. Although I haven't started the semester yet, I've used it to take notes and typing/marking up documents for work. The Smart Keyboard case makes it really easy to use on the go. I would only suggest using iCloud to back up your documents and notes, as they can pile up over time.

P.S. PDF Expert 5 (link) is a great app for marking up PDFs. Well worth the $9.99 if you intend to write on documents.

14. bthathaway macrumors newbie

bthathaway

Here's a notecard app which will be coming out of beta very soon (just waiting for approval from Apple). It's called MemryStax www.memrystax.com and it is oriented towards duplicating handwritten notecards on the iPad Pro.

Research shows that handwriting aids in comprehension and retention of information.

Here's a couple of screen shots to give a sense of what's coming.

Attached Files: