Using the iPhone 6 Plus One-Handed (Video!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big Dookie, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Big Dookie, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

Big Dookie macrumors member

So I've seen a few commenters here challenging the idea that using the iPhone 6 Plus with only one hand is practical. One or two have even gone so far as to challenge someone to make a video showing themselves using it that way.

So I did!

Keep in mind that I am a 5'10" male with what I would consider average sized hands for a guy my height. I only did a couple of things because I was short on time, but I tried to focus on some of the more difficult tasks like reaching the far top corner of the device. Using the reachability gesture, there is very little I'm unable to do with one hand.

If there's some other task you want me to show one handed just let me know and I'll try to do a follow up video. Hope this puts some of the questions to bed.

2. golfdude macrumors regular

Bravo....Shut me up! #

But, come on, that pinkie of yours was dying????

3. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

It may be doable or whatever but not quick and efficient!

4. fjd726 macrumors regular

Seems like too much of a hassle to get to the top portions of the phone. Having to double tap each time can get old quick.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I can do it. Little awkward but definitely doable.

6. bgro macrumors 6502a

One handed use is definitely possible. I have smaller hands but i can still use the phone one-handed. However, i still find one handed used kind of burdensome. The Plus is a much better device when used 2 handed imho. I'm starting to miss the utility of having a smaller footprint. Also finding that when i'm home I prefer my iPad Air and when I'm out and about I miss my 5S (or wish I had the 6 as that is a great form factor imo). But for some reason, I'm having trouble justifying exchanging the Plus for a 6. Just not ready to make a decision yet.

7. Big Dookie thread starter macrumors member

Hah, nah, that's actually how I held my iPhone 5 with one hand too. It does look kind of awkward now that you mention it, but I guess I've just gotten used to it and don't even notice anymore.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't advocate using it this way all the time. It's obviously meant to be used with two hands. BUT, in a pinch, you could still operate it with one handed. I will admit though, the buttons in the top right corner were just s hair of a stretch, so if anyone with even relatively small hands was trying to do the same thing, they'd probably have a bit of trouble. But hopefully this gives an idea to those on the fence what they might be able to do.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm not sure why anyone with a 6 cares how people use the + or needs proof of anything. Use your phone the way you want, I'll use my phone the way I want. I'm sure there are people with smallish hands that have to use the 6 with two hands at times.

It's clear that both sides have envy of one another. The 6 users wish they had the specs of the +, the + users I'm sure wish apple would have pulled off the 5.5inch form factor a little better.

9. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

Yeah, I initially preordered the 6+ but after playing with it in the Verizon store this past weekend I cancelled it and ordered a SG 128gb 6. I am 5'8" and have smaller hands...

----------

This!

10. Big Dookie thread starter macrumors member

While this is true, keep in mind that I was purposefully trying to do things that forced me to use it. In regular use, I actually don't find myself having to use it as much. But I'm glad that Apple included it, because otherwise one-handed use truly would be impossible.

11. macduke Suspended

macduke

I think the point here is that most people have two hands, and for those people they can do lots of stuff on here quickly. BUT when you're in a situation where you only have one hand available, it is possible to do some things, just not as quickly as you normally would. For me, I would estimate that I only need to use my phone one handed 5% of the time. Maybe I just don't carry around a lot of extra crap. I've got a backpack for that!

12. dseg42, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

dseg42 macrumors member

But you have to use reachability to touch the top which is a time waster for me. I previously used my phone one handed all the time, two hands is not ideal.
    Although it is possible to use the phone one handed, it does not compare to the speed and easability to using the smaller iPhone. Also need to compare the comfort-ability and the control you have with the Plus in one hand. I always feel like I am going to drop it in one hand.

FYI - I have the 6 Plus, wife has the iPhone 6.
    Debating an exchange.

I would say a lot of people preordered the Plus thinking it was a superior phone. But it is not a phone, its a "phablet," there are so many people that preordered and accepted the phone size, while also accepting the phablet market.

People don't realize they made two phones for two different markets.

I believe it would be a completely different story if all buyers held both iPhones before preordering.
    At work, we did cut out of both iPhones based on the dimensions. Everyone laughed once we saw the size of the Plus but I still got it...
    Yesterday, we also saw someone walking around with a belt clip with the iPhone Plus, which btw looks extremely obnoxious... I have to admit it looked funny.

13. Big Dookie thread starter macrumors member

Agreed! But people like to make an informed decision also, so any videos or pictures that can help them make that decision are useful. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another with this video. Just trying to give some indication of what is and isn't possible so people can make their own decision. Both new models are great phones. My wife has the regular 6 model, and it is an almost perfect balance of portability and larger screen. I like it a lot. But I like my 6+ too, for very different reasons. :)

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I know your not, but I know you did it in response to another poster challenging anyone to post a video because in his/her mind it is "impossible".

15. isbilly macrumors newbie

isbilly

The point of using it one handed is to have the other hand free to do something else.....The concentration it takes to use it one handed is incredible. I doubt you could do this and pretty much anything else at the same time. That's the conclusion I came to anyway, and the reason I exchanged mine last night at the Verizon store for a standard 6.

But if you like it, roll with it bud. I just decided for me it wasn't worth it.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Why must it be used one handed? I'm typing this laying on my back with two hands. Feels good.

17. golfdude macrumors regular

Agree, when I am traveling for business, I am dragging a suitcase or have a drink in my hand, someone texts me or I need to send a quick email when hustling through the airport the 6+ wouldn't work. Also, wouldn't work for going to the gym, IMO, which I do 6 days a week. But when I am at home, chilling on the couch responding to email, just general browsing or watching video's I would prefer the 6+. Today I grab my iPad 2 which is dragging, but I am starting to use the 6 for this more but would appreciate more screen space. The 6+ screen is nice but out and about, unless your carry a purse is going to be a pain, IMO. I still am itching to add a 6+ to my family plan though.

18. Big Dookie thread starter macrumors member

Well, technically I was holding another phone and concentrating on framing the shot with my other hand. So my attention was definitely not solely on the iPhone.

But I definitely agree with the sentiment of using what works best for you.

19. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Not nearly as comfortable or efficient to handle one handed as an iPhone 5.

20. dseg42 macrumors member

Completely agree with the gym comment.
    Not going to lie, I laugh inside when I see someone at the gym with a Plus. I leave it at home when I go to the gym, just does not look right in my gym shorts...
    Going for a run? Forget about it...

21. Iamgort macrumors regular

How will I use my phone while standing at the urinal??!? Am I just supposed to pee all over my pants?!?!

22. dseg42 macrumors member

One handed is more ideal for people that live active life styles.

23. rhomsy macrumors regular

Keep in mind that Apple added additional gestures into iOS 7 that reduced the need to have to tap the upper left portion of the screen. Prior to iOS 7, you couldn't just swipe from left to right (anywhere) to go "back" on emails, safari, music, etc. That gesture is supported by many apps now too.

24. Big Dookie thread starter macrumors member

Still two-handed of course. Hands off the equipment at the urinal. You let that bad boy fly wherever it wants to.

25. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley