Using the iPhone 6 without a case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob24, Sep 29, 2014.

1. bob24, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

bob24 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6 on order and didn't include a case as I like using my phones naked (I am getting AppleCare+ and I am fairly careful with my phones - have been using iPhones since the original and never broke one).

However I have seen a few people on online boards and website raising concerns that they used to be the same buy really feel insecure doing it with the 6 as due to a combination of slippery material, larger size, and rounded edges they are not able to get as good a grip as they used to with previous phones (I think their main concern is that the cannot easily roll their fingers all around the phone and hold it tight, and have to just let it rest on their hand which is not as secure). This review pretty much covers it: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...inch-iphone-5s-vs-the-larger-47-inch-iphone-6

I am wondering what people who are used to naked phones and have purchased an iPhone 6 are thinking? Is the grip that bad without a case?

Thanks for your comments!

2. abta1 macrumors 6502

I would much prefer to use my iPhone 6 without a case but it's just too thin and difficult to grip for me even though I can get my fingers around it.

That's why I bought the Apple leather case the day after I got my phone because even if you are careful, many things out of your control can cause it to drop or scrape etc.

3. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

i'm 5'10 average size male hands and i can comfortable "death grip" my iPhone6 and move my thumb around the screen.

4. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Running without a case is all fine and dandy until you drop the phone...

That being said, I decided the $35 investment for a solid but still slim case wouldn't break the bank for my $950 device.

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

you got applecare +

thats your case. If a case gets dinged up you replace the case right.

6. bob24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guy for the feedback ... so mixed-up opinions it seems.

Also might questions is not about the benefits of a case in general ... but specifically about the need for one to have a secure grip on the iPhone 6. I know without a case the phone has more chances if getting scratched or to break if I drop it, but I've lived with that with previous phones and am OK with it.

I might wait until I have the phone and can try it myself I guess.

Unfortunately I can't really try it at the shop as here in Ireland I couldn't find a place where they don't either attach the phone to a table tor have a huge security device glued at the back which prevents from holding it properly (and only the online Apple Store sells SIM free iPhones and Apple's cases which is what I would likely go for if I get a case).

7. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Yeah, abuse AppleCare+ so that Apple starts charging us even MORE as a service fee for phone replacement.

That's the way to go. :confused:

8. abta1 macrumors 6502

I do feel this phone is slipperier than others due to the construction material.

9. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Just put a svelt Spigen Slim Armor S on the phone and enjoy your peace of mind.

It's a very thin case, with great shock-absorbing material.

I still am very careful in handling my phone, but I know that it will be fine on the unpreventable moment that it hits a sidewalk!

My 5S has hit a couple sidewalks in the past, and laughs in the face of death, because it has a Slim Armor S cover on it. And I even like the look of the case on it.

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

That's not what I said.

If the op is more concerned about looks than functionality they should wrap it up. If the case was to protect against loss of function due to damage then applecare+ is same as a case

11. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I am extremely careful when handling my stuff, yet 3 times the phone almost slipped out of my hand. First time was when I first got it. I went to the Apple store and bought the leather case and put AC+ on right after. Twice more after as I tried on a different case after taking the case off.

This phone is a slippery piece of gadget. The rounded edges feel nice but it's like holding a wet bar of soap.

12. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I went with a Ballistic slim... Good grip... 6 sided drop protection and my phone isn't in an Otterbox like block of rubber.

13. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

All my other iPhones i went case less. But with my 6 I've got the Apple leather case. Simply because it is larger and much slippier. Plus the protruding camera would annoy me.

The Apple case is nice though got used to it.

14. mojito macrumors member

Always run naked on my phones and can see myself doing the same with the 6 when I get it. I'll be buying the plus in a few months and having played with it in-store a bit, I can tell that it'll work just fine. Hopefully I don't fall victim of an unlucky drop, but it happens. Just prefer it naked so I'll be extra careful.

15. Mike Reed macrumors regular

I got a 6+ so the size might be a factor but I wouldn't go without a case on it. I've occasionally gone caseless with past iPhones but the sides are too slippery on this one for a safety margin I'm comfortable with. The leather Apple ones provide nice added traction.

16. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I've always wanted to go caseless, but I never have. I should have with the 5. I had apple care and it was pretty easy to manage. The unibody aluminum and bigger form factor make the 6 plus a little to droppable for me. It's too smooth and every once in a while I have to shift it in my hand just a bit to get to that top left corner. I'd definitely drop it at some point.

17. darkonex macrumors member

I'm not one to drop my phone ever but I've always had a good case on mine just in case, along with a dry screen protector both of which goes on immediately after opening. If I ever got as so much a scratch on my screen I'd have to trade it in/sell it and buy a new one so it's a must to have those on plus it's nice for resell value too.

18. thefeebster macrumors newbie

Using the 6 caseless for the past 10 days and I must say everything you've read is accurate. It is a dangerous device to hold naked. It's like a continuous balancing act. Slippery, enough to be fearful in dropping it when maneuvering your hand to reach the top portion of the screen. It's too thin, making it feel frail.

I have already had the phone slip out of my hand, on to my tiled floor. Chipped a piece of metal off already.

Learn from my mistake. Get a case.

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I must have abnormally sticky hands, because I don't find the phone slippery at all. I do have the Apple leather case though because I don't want the back all scratched up.

20. darkonex macrumors member

Dang dude, I'd definitely be selling it and getting a new one if that happened to me. I couldn't live with knowing that's there or looking at it for the next year or 2. I'm truley sorry for your lots.

21. BlueJ85 macrumors newbie

I normally don't use cases but it is so thin and slippery I think a case is justified.

22. dmccombs, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

dmccombs macrumors member

Bob,

I played around with this very question this weekend. The size of the iphone 6 is fine. The phone is slippery so I decided that I would need something on the phone just to enhance my grip on it. When I handle the phone by itself, it would be easy for it to slip from my hands.

They have those clear flexible skins (not a case, but a skin). This may be a good solution as they add good grip without adding bulk.

23. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

I have every iphone and have a case for all of them, I have dropped three of them and they survived because of the case, I always use a case with the screen covered I have seen too many smashed screens over the years to come to the conclusion the that a case is a must

Gadget insurance is always a good call

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I wouldn't suggest a case for protection for the 6, but rather for having a better grip on it. It is too thin for comfort, for me. Adding a slight bulk makes it easier to handle.

25. darkonex macrumors member

These devices cost upwards of $1000, getting a case regardless wether you think you may have an accident or not seems like a no brainer to me. With these phones being so thin now the excuse of "Well it adds bulk" doesn't apply anymore. Yes it'll make it bigger than it is but still smaller than the phones we were used to having before. My iPhone 6 with my Otterbox Symmetry case is still thinner than my iPHone 5. Also people say they don't want to cover up the pretty back or whatever, who gives a crap you don't look at the back it's the screen that matters. Put a case + screen protector on them people! :cool: