Using your iPhone bareback?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Mar 28, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

I've tried several different cases for my iPhone, but lately I've gone completely naked. It just feels better :p

I can't help but to think it's a guilty pleasure. Of course, the minute I drop it, back in the case it goes!

2. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

you could try Best Skins Ever, i use it on my iPhone and it works very well. it adds a little bit of a grip feel to it also making it easier to hold on to.
    they are easy to apply and look great. also they are pretty cheap for a total body skin cover.

www.bestskinsever.com

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Cases only serve to destroy the gorgeous form factor. Naked is better. ;)
    By all means, get a film screen protector, but surely there's no point of a case.
    I just put mine into the pouch I still have from my iPod video, when I put the iPhone into my bag with my keys, etc.

4. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

I'm all scuffed up and have small etching here and there. I know it will get replaced eventually so I got over the whole case thing. It just feel like it would get too warm and felt bulkier then it is.

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I've got mine in a case, but I think that I'll be taking it off soon. It doesn't add 'that' much bulk, but I do prefer it nekkid. :D

6. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

yeah, once you get over the 'new factor' of the iPhone i think taking the case off is the best thing, its just a phone, its going to get scratched up/dropped.

i used cases for a while and both of them ended up stratching my phone worse than if i would have no case. especially around the chrome bezel.
    i just ended up sanding down the bezel with a scotch brite pad and made it look like brushed metal, then ordered a BSE full body skin, and now it looks great.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I like the brushed chrome bezel idea. Do you have pic of that? :)

8. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

10. eagle6611 macrumors newbie

Caseless as well

I like to go "caseless" also - the iPhone just fits my pockets better than most cases. I just ordered a set of full body films to protect the screen and body. They are similar to the bestskinever that was mentioned above. The main difference is that the screen cover portion is held on via static. iLounge gave them an A rating (they also had a pretty good review of the leading films)

11. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

12. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The only problem with going bareback that I can see is how slippery the aluminum is. I have glass, marble and all sorts of other slick surfaces all around me. It's like a plastic puck on an air hockey table.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

No case for me either. It looks too good to cover it up.

I did get the Marware CEO Premiere belt clip side case for work and the gym, and it's great. It protects well and looks good.

I don't understand the need for a screen protector though- it seems impossible to scratch it. As long as you don't put your iPhone in your pocket with a handful of diamonds, you should be good.

14. eagle6611 macrumors newbie

15. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I would definitely recommend InvisibleShield. It makes the grip so much better and you can't even see it.

16. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I 2nd that motion...

been "naked" since MWSF '08 and haven't dropped my iPhone yet! And iPhone still looks like an iPhone! :p

18. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I ordered one of these as well (shipped yesterday). Now I am trying to decide if I should do the brushed bezel before I put it on.

19. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Invisible Shield is indeed cool, as I used it on the iPod Touch, but I found it took a little smoothness away from the screen when pinching, flicking, etc.
    Also when the edges of it begin to peel - as it inevitably does(I applied it perfectly, and was perfect for a while, with no edges hanging off), it just looks sh|t. :D

20. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

Dropped my 4 times!

The main reason I got a case was because I kept dropping mine! The surface is a little slick. I'm much better now and prefer the bareback appearance.

Case or caseless, I do use a cool little key chain case for my ear buds. So it on Macworld.com. It's called a BudCase. Google it.

I have noticed that I get more attention without a case than with, not that I'm counting :D

21. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I bought my iPhone on June 29th (iDay) and it has been naked since.

I personally think that it is just too beautiful to put a condom around it.

The sleek look and design style of aluminum, steel, and glass in a thin form factor just looks too good to put some chunky, overpriced piece of rubber around it.

I have even dropped it on concrete walking around downtown and it only got a minor dent. Even the worn and scratched look on the aluminum looks sexy to me. It gives it character.

But, then again, I've also never had overprotective parents, never put a bra on the hood of my car, and I don't carry an umbrella in the rain.

It reminds me of that movie where a guy lives in a bubble. Never saw it, but it looks stupid and reminds me of this.

22. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

id say go for it, the way it looks in the pictures, which is really awesome, doesnt do it justice, it looks much much better in person, i highly recommend it.

23. rammy macrumors member

Go naked... what's the point in covering it up, no offense to those that use but the covers make it look like a Fisher Price toy and the screen protectors look like they've got something stuck to the screen - which I suppose they do really :rolleyes:

I've had mine 6mnths, the bezel has a few scratches and I've got one tiny scratch on the screen, which to be fair isn't obvious. If I crack the screen I use my (phone) insurance!

I say if you have to use some kind iPhone protection go with an iSock or some kinda pouch - not a belt clip one though plllllllease :p

Enjoy - these things are truly the muts nuts!!!

24. houdinize macrumors regular

Almost Naked

I got the cozip snap on case in silver from Amazon for 13 bucks and I love it. It has some grip to it, is super thin, matches the color of the aluminum back really well and shows off the chrome bezel without scratching it. I used to have the anti-glare film on the screen but really love the smooth glass and don't mind wiping off smudges.

I might try the BSE but love the feel of the cozip without all the effort.

It even has a little circle cutout for the apple logo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104UI34/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b/103-3761066-2705405

25. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

To those who prefer to go bareback. Keep in mind that that case is aluminum and will dent easily if dropped. The screen is made of glass is by no means scratch proof and it would be wise to use a screen protector. Food for thought.