Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
too much of a pain to do. I'm using the 4k LG today for work to see how it goes. If I forget about the dock issue, it's very nice.

This is where a 2nd USB-C port on a MB would really come in handy. One to go to a dock, the other to a USB-C monitor.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
UPDATE: With the new LG, the 12" also continues to suffer the black out issue as noted with other external monitors. A reboot, like always, fixes it. Sure looks like it's a FW or OS thing in Sierra for the 12". Once rebooted, it works as a display very well.

neil218

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
This is where a 2nd USB-C port on a MB would really come in handy. One to go to a dock, the other to a USB-C monitor.
And plug in the charging cable on either side!

My dream is to have a rMB with TB3 or a GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.3. Intel's fault, always.

maximlos

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Hi, i have MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

I can link the lg ultrafine 4k with my macbook with

USC C / Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Thunderbolt cable

example setup: http://imgur.com/a/5Tntz

will it work?

Thanks

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi, i have MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

I can link the lg ultrafine 4k with my macbook with

USC C / Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Thunderbolt cable

example setup: http://imgur.com/a/5Tntz

will it work?

Thanks

Good question. Until yesterday, I had the LG UD2788 (has USB-C) in house, and could have tested a similar set-up. But can't anymore as I took the display back.

Apple doesn't say it will work. The real question is can TB2 support DisplayPort Alt-mode? I dunno. We know it would do MST to a 4K display. But I don't know how DP Alt-mode and MST are related.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I'm surprised these are still on a 5-6 week backorder... I want one, but having to wait till January is a bit ****** :(

j.quintana

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
UPDATE: With the new LG, the 12" also continues to suffer the black out issue as noted with other external monitors. A reboot, like always, fixes it. Sure looks like it's a FW or OS thing in Sierra for the 12". Once rebooted, it works as a display very well.

How often does this happen? This sounds very annoying. I ordered my 2016 MacBook yesterday because I thought with the 4k Ultrafine monitor there won't be any hassles running 4k@60hz but the issues I'm reading are worrying me.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
How often does this happen? This sounds very annoying. I ordered my 2016 MacBook yesterday because I thought with the 4k Ultrafine monitor there won't be any hassles running 4k@60hz but the issues I'm reading are worrying me.

It does run 60Hz. However, the blackout issue seems to be something with all MBr's. It happens when you dock (most of the time) without a restart of the Mac. A restart always corrects the issue for me.

Reactions: j.quintana

j.quintana

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
@kwandrews: Thanks for the clarification. It still sounds annoying but not like a potential dealbreaker. It would be much worse if it happened randomly and not just when you are docking.

Reactions: kwandrews

swrobel

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2014
If someone has to try, post it ;)

Tried with my Late 2015 27" iMac using the Apple dongle you mentioned to connect the 24" Ultrafine. It doesn't work. The display is fine and working with my Touchbar rMBP.

Unfortunately, no.
I think Dell has one.

Link? I'm desperate to find a cable that will make this thing work with my iMac but can't find any such thing. I even emailed DisplayPort to ask because they mention a "standard USB Type-C to mini DisplayPort adapter cable" but I can't find any such thing.

neil218

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Tried with my Late 2015 27" iMac using the Apple dongle you mentioned to connect the 24" Ultrafine. It doesn't work. The display is fine and working with my Touchbar rMBP.

Link? I'm desperate to find a cable that will make this thing work with my iMac but can't find any such thing. I even emailed DisplayPort to ask because they mention a "standard USB Type-C to mini DisplayPort adapter cable" but I can't find any such thing.
Sorry, I was mistaken. Dell has a DP to USB-C adapter, it will not work with Ultrafine.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011

Ya, that's for DisplayPort over USB-C, which is different than converting DisplayPort to USB-C.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Impressive they made this work with 2015 rMB even though 48hz. Even so at 4K that feels like an accomplishment to me

(From what I'm reading don't own an lg monitor)

Wish I could see a video of base 2015 running on a monitor,

Last edited:

kyliu99

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2003
It does run 60Hz. However, the blackout issue seems to be something with all MBr's. It happens when you dock (most of the time) without a restart of the Mac. A restart always corrects the issue for me.

Ever since upgrading to 10.12.2, this problem appears to have been fixed. (That is, I can dock and undock from the Ultrafine 4K without rebooting and without experiencing the blackout problem). I'm wondering if this is also your experience?

twyles

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
UK
The patch actually worked on my 2015 Macbook. No stuttering that I've noticed. The only hiccup is if you unplug your Macbook from the monitor a lot it sometimes you have to reboot to be able to select the scaled monitor resolutions. Keep in mind I have a 27" monitor but yes 1080P hi dpi looks good but doesn't really take advantage of the larger monitor real estate. I love that you can do 2560x1440 with Sierra as that gives you more real estate to work with (albeit with smaller text.) Honestly Apple has some catching up to do with scaling the UI to 4K. Windows 10 handles it better.

I'm using the LG27UD88 monitor with a 2016 rMB m7 over USB-C and I am quite disappointed with how it looks at all resolutions. The fonts just don't look smooth even at 60 Hz unless it's 1920x1080 (screen shots at 72 dpi below). I don't know if it's my expectations that are wrong but I essentially want to have a bigger version of my rMB screen! The one positive is that I haven't noticed any lag at all, but then I haven't yet had a chance to put it through its paces much.

1920x1080.png 3840x2160.png

Also attached is a dual boot Lenovo M700 Tiny, via DisplayPort - I am sad to say that both Linux (even running Gnome) and Windows 10 look more polished than Mac OS does at 3840x2160 or 2560x1440.

As an aside having the real estate 4K offers is great but it's quite daunting to open up an Excel spreadsheet and find you can see rows 1:109 and columns A:BG all at once!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm using the LG27UD88 monitor with a 2016 rMB m7 over USB-C and I am quite disappointed with how it looks at all resolutions. The fonts just don't look smooth even at 60 Hz unless it's 1920x1080 (screen shots at 72 dpi below). I don't know if it's my expectations that are wrong but I essentially want to have a bigger version of my rMB screen! The one positive is that I haven't noticed any lag at all, but then I haven't yet had a chance to put it through its paces much.

View attachment 679531 View attachment 679532

Also attached is a dual boot Lenovo M700 Tiny, via DisplayPort - I am sad to say that both Linux (even running Gnome) and Windows 10 look more polished than Mac OS does at 3840x2160 or 2560x1440.

As an aside having the real estate 4K offers is great but it's quite daunting to open up an Excel spreadsheet and find you can see rows 1:109 and columns A:BG all at once!
are you able to charge your new 15" with either the included cable or the white apple one once you turn the off the monitor? I plugged my laptop in thinking it would charge overnight... nope! dead battery

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014

View attachment 679531 View attachment 679532

Its supposed to be run at 4k, but you can scale the resolution. Dont try and run it at 1080p.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
are you able to charge your new 15" with either the included cable or the white apple one once you turn the off the monitor? I plugged my laptop in thinking it would charge overnight... nope! dead battery

Try switching the USB-C cable around and using it the other way (monitor side to MacBook > MacBook side to monitor). This sounds stupid, but has apparently worked for many others online. LG are shipping a sketchy USB-C cable with it.

It's only 60W output, and MBPs require 85W. Not sure what that means, though - it should charge, just more slowly. Like using an iPhone charger for your iPad...

I'm no electrical engineer though, so I may be way off!

Edit: FWIW I use a 27UD88-W with my rMB and absolutely love it. I use it at "looks like 2560x1440" in HiDPI mode (ie. scaled 4K) and it's absolutely fantastic. I use the DisplayPort connection for my gaming PC rig. Brilliant monitor, genuinely impressed.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Try switching the USB-C cable around and using it the other way (monitor side to MacBook > MacBook side to monitor). This sounds stupid, but has apparently worked for many others online. LG are shipping a sketchy USB-C cable with it.

It's only 60W output, and MBPs require 85W. Not sure what that means, though - it should charge, just more slowly. Like using an iPhone charger for your iPad...

I'm no electrical engineer though, so I may be way off!

Edit: FWIW I use a 27UD88-W with my rMB and absolutely love it. I use it at "looks like 2560x1440" in HiDPI mode (ie. scaled 4K) and it's absolutely fantastic. I use the DisplayPort connection for my gaming PC rig. Brilliant monitor, genuinely impressed.

i tried that and also tried using the apple one and no dice. I've also had issues with it connect to the monitor. It would charge when I turn it on but there is no signal to the monitor on both cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.