UTF8String vs NSASCIIStringEncoding

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by poppy11, Oct 30, 2013.

1. poppy11 macrumors newbie

I have a string msMyString that was created by

NSMutableString *msMyString = [NSMutableString stringWithString:mad:"NoSpecialCharactersJustAnOrdinaryString"];

Both of the lines below work perfectly, and so I am not at all certain which is preferred, etc. I know about NSLog(@"%@",msMyString), but I am trying to sort through all of the various ways of converting back and forth between objects, and 'C' primitives. I believe that I put that correctly, but I assume that you know what I mean.

NSLog(@"%s",[msMyString cStringUsingEncoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding]);

NSLog(@"%s",[msMyString UTF8String]);

Thanks in advance.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If at all possible, stay away from anything other than UTF8.

NSASCIIStringEncoding will break (return NULL) whenever there is a non-ASCII character in the string. There is no reason to take the risk. Only use cStringUsingEncoding: if you actually for whatever strange reason need a string in that particular encoding. Since NSLog expects UTF8 strings, any encoding that isn't a subset of UTF8 will produce strange results.

3. devilofspades macrumors member

not exactly, you encapsulate primitives inside object containers if that makes any sense? for the most part an "NSNumber" is the object to store primitive c types. for your question, the encoding really comes into play if you are parsing say a text file or some sort in UTF8 formatted file to an NSString object. a real world example would be a .csv file. those are usually in UTF8 encoding and converting to a NSString requires you specify that so it can properly "decode" that data and format it correctly as a string object. for your code example, you could have just as easily done this

Code:
     NSMutableString *msMyString = @"NoSpecialCharactersJustAnOrdinaryString"; 
    and ended up with the same result. typically you would have no need to pipe out the various version of a NSString to a console as the regular "%@" option works fine for most cases. if you want to export that string out to a file or across the interwebs, that's when those encoding methods would come in handy.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That should be NSString* msMyString = @"xxx";

The right hand side is not a mutable string, so you can't assign it to an NSMutableString*.

5. poppy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I take it that the only reason that NSASCII... didn't fail is because it was purely ASCII text.

Thanks for the information!

6. firewood macrumors 604

Which is perfectly reasonable if non-ASCII characters are illegal in your particular usage (base64 decoding, hex input, airline record locator ID, etc.)