utorrent for mac is coming!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BollywooD, Jun 26, 2007.

1. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

2. mgmktx macrumors member

uTorrent is pretty much the best torrent program out there (fastest and lightest) so this is great news. Transmission is decent but lacking in many features (not using the nightly builds so it may be different)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

nothing can beat uTorrent, if this one is going to be stable and can inherit all the good features of windows version, I will switch to it right away.

4. n00basaur macrumors regular

5. c.greene914 macrumors regular

c.greene914

This is good news. Although I use Tomato Torrent and it works very well. I don't have any complaints except multiple windows open. I just hide them anyway so I suppose it's a moot point.

6. Reaver macrumors 6502

I just read that on the utorrent forum FAQ that utorrent for Mac OSX and linux is being set aside, can anyone check this and see if this is true.

I am at work and the site is blocked. if this is indeed true this is going to make my torrent life that much more worse having been waiting for utorrent ever since I switched from my windows machine.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the FAQ is pretty old? this small project, they change plan very frequently.

I think uTorrent through wine is good enough under linux.

For OSX, my guess is that even if the uTorrent team were to give up a plan on OSX, there will be individual programmers to make it happen.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

9. Reaver macrumors 6502

well good that the posts were old and I can still hold out for something better than Azu since my sites dont allow for tomatoe, transmission or other apps.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You're kidding, right? Azureus is an overbloated piece of crap.

I too am really excited about uTorrent for Mac. I love uTorrent so much -- and despise the limited offering of Mac clients so much -- that I run uTorrent for Windows through Parallels right now.

11. JellyFish macrumors regular

I like it seems to work very well. Somebody else said it's bloated but I don't see that at all. I'd say download it and try it. If you don't like it you can always delete it.

12. JellyFish macrumors regular

Well I'm glad you're interested in utorrent, I hope you enjoy it a lot once it's available. :)

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I gave it a quick run. its still little bit slow, but I guess this is not even beta yet?

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I hope I do too. Don't get me wrong, I think Azureus' feature set is great...but it's an atrocious program, codewise and visually. I've used in on Windows, Linux, and OS X over the years and it never seems to get better. With uTorrent, you get 95% of Azureus' features with about 10% of the resources needed.

15. Merlinus macrumors newbie

No, Azureus has been out for even longer than uTorrent. However, even for a java client, it has always been rather sluggish and bloated, but it probably has the most comprehensive feature list of any torrent client out there.

Vuze (formerly Zudeo) is basically Azureus v3. - Azureus for some reason decided that it wasn't bloated enough and decided to add a completely unnecessary, unwanted and unused interface for media to make it even more bloated. All the content is legal, but there's nothing really worth downloading or watching on it. (most people, if they even bother to dl vuze instead of the original azureus, just click on the last tab to get the azureus interface anyway).

In any case, nothing compares to utorrent or comes remotely close :p

16. JellyFish macrumors regular

Well I will check out utorrent at some point then, thank you for the tip.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's what I thought. I'll stick with Azureus 2.5.0.4 until uTorrent for OSX comes along in a stable form.

18. moez macrumors regular

Also, most private trackers do not allow Vuze to be used so have to use the older Azureus 2.5 (which still sucks). Id switch the day uTorrent is released for Mac :D

19. DeathAxe macrumors newbie

DeathAxe

I can't wait for it!
    Finally I can trash Azureus.

20. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

If this comes to fruition then this is great. I have been using azureus as it has the features i want (selective file downloading, and recently the web UI).

I am glad to see that Transmission has gotten selective file download and priority downloading. Those two things will make me consider change clients on both my mac's.

I hope that uTorrent for Mac is as good as its windows counterpart. I was just over at the uTorrent site and they seem to have a WebUI which is very good news indeed.

Hopefully this news pushes on Transmission to get even better. And once uTorrent shows up i will be making a decision and moving my macs over (probably to uTorrent as it has the WebUI).

21. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Oooh, you naughty Leopard beta torrenters. :p
    JK

Is uTorrent going to be faster than other torrent clients? Transmission is slow as all hell.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

dunno, altho I do know uTorrent is faster than transmission under linux.

23. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Great news. Although Transmission works just fine for me.

24. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

xTorrent is my favorite at the moment. uTorrent would have to be pretty durn sweet for me to switch.