uTorrent Mac Beta Download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I've seen reports of a Mac beta floating around, does anyone know where I can snag a download?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Oh alright, thanks.

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I use uTorrent on Windows and then drag the files from the desktop to my Mac via our network. If this uTorrent app for Mac works out and it works like the PC version, kiss Azureus goodbye.

Thanks for the info about this...I'll keep an eye out for the actual release.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Can someone please tell me the advantages of uTorrent over the Transmission beta (which has prioritising and selective downloading)? Are the downloads really faster?

6. dantidote macrumors member

encryption, awesome rss support, webui. its a really great client. They're both very lightweight clients and i'd think speeds would be similar.

7. numlock macrumors 68000

having never used a torrent on a pc i must ask the same question. transmission is becoming quite a nicely featured app and isnt too greedy when it comes too memory (although ive had to restart it a couple of time over a few weeks).

one question though. Ive finisehd downloading a torrent and am seeding it. Can i change the names of the individual files or would that mess everything up?

8. paulbaker macrumors regular

I tried to use this method the other day for a game file, and I could not get it to work. Is torrent like using a download manager?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No, you are downloading from other people (leeching), and you have the choice to send the data you get out to others (seeding), and sometimes there are no seeders, so your download does not work...

10. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

Anyone have any updates as to when the initial release is scheduled for?

11. Ariez macrumors regular

I heard about the beta about 2 months ago and still nothing. I just assume it was some sort of jokes.

And having used (and still using) utorrent on PC, i can say that its tons better than transmission. The layout itself and UI alone is a feature worth looking into.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

uTorrent is possibly the single greatest thing on earth, especially with the fantastic WebUI. About time it comes to Mac.

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I too use uTorrent because none of the Mac clients are up to snuff in terms of advanced options. Except for Azureus, but I hate that Java crap.

In fact, the sole reason I run a Windows XP Parallels VM is to run uTorrent.

The uTorrent for Mac beta is (was) real...however, it's been months since there was any update or word of it, and some people are now saying the project is dead. Every time someone in the uTorrent forums posts about it, asking for an update, a really polite moderator (/sarcasm) posts a response to the effect of "It will be ready when it's ready. Shut up." There hasn't been a shred of info about it for months. It's sad, because that software would make me completely drop Windows for everything except updating the software on my BlackBerry.

14. numlock macrumors 68000

what is so essential that transmission is missing?

15. sebf macrumors member

Transmission doesn't have DHT and BitRocket doesn't have encryption.

The main features I normally look for are:
    • DHT
    • In/out encryption
    • In/out bandwidth limits
    • RSS torrent support (optional)
    • UPnP (optional)
    Only apps that I have could that have all these are uTorrent (Windows only) and Azureus (Mac), once a lightweight mac app has all these feature I wouldn't mind switching to it.

16. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

A number of things. Fine control over each file in a torrent for one thing. Also, the fact that Transmission is banned from some trackers I frequent doesn't help; it doesn't properly report data to the tracker or something. It looks like Transmission has made substantial advances recently; I'd love to try it out again once it gets unbanned. 0.90 looks promising and is actually allowed on some of the trackers I use but it also is causing a lot of routers to go berserk.

17. Stu L Tissimus macrumors newbie

uTorrent's user interface is simple, yet full featured. Transmission's interface is super simple, and.... doesn't let you do very much. I've been waiting for a Mac version for a while now. But as somebody earlier said, the uTorrent Forums moderator is a bit of a ***** when people ask about it.

There is hope, though. Bram Cohen's company actually bought up uTorrent and is going to turn it into the official BitTorrent client. I'd be surprised if thee didn't make Linux and Mac versions available. Hell, I'd be surprised if it didn't go open source.

18. uTorrentMac macrumors newbie

I can tell you unless uTorrent has stopped seeding beta versions to testers, all development of a uTorrent Mac version has ceased. I'm hoping the development will pick up again, but right now it looks grim.

The last version seeded several months ago only added UI for folders. The folders don't even work and none of the good uTorrent stuff has been added yet. So basically uTorrent for Mac is currently a client which only supports downloading, no RSS, no selective files, no encryption, etc.

I'm sorry I can't tell you how I know this, but you just have to trust me. I've given enough information that anyone in the know with uTorrent seeds can verify my claims.

19. makehen macrumors newbie

But on the uTorrent forums Firon said that they have a new Mac developer:

Mac OS X Version Progress

But maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

20. heatmiser macrumors 68020

For those of you on OS X who haven't tried µTorrent on XP, it's really like someone who has only seen the moon asking 'what's so special about the sun?'

Yeah. It's literally like night and day. The way torrents were *meant* to be managed. If there's one application Windows has that *nothing* on OS X comes close to, it's µTorrent. This is why, as a recent switcher, it's really frustrating to use all these second-rate clients (Transmission, etc) while wondering why an equivalent to µTorrent hasn't been developed yet. It's so weird...

21. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Transmission and Xtorrent are probably the closest alternatives to uTorrent on OS X.

22. ricardo1064 macrumors member

I've searched for a replacement program for utorrent for almost 2 years now.... nothing even comes close... good to know there's one coming for os x now

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Transmission is banned by certain sites because of earlier versions.

I just recommended uTorrent to my dad, he seems pretty impressed by it.

Be nice to have uTorrent on mac, prefer it over Transmission and Azureus anyday.

24. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

uTorrent/BitTorrent is also in bed with the RIAA and I will never trust another version of it again.

Regardless of your stance on copyright, etc, the off-chance they are watching people's downloads is more than I will accept.

Edit: That said, if it were still open source and known to be clean, there's nothing I would rather use.

25. Weezy F Baby macrumors member

Yep thats why I won't upgrade from 1.6.1 on my XP machine. I don't care what new features it has. Not worth the risk! But I do wish they would just make one for Mac just to show that they care about OS X.