UXP is ported to PowerPC Linux

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wicknix, Apr 24, 2019.

1. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

2. juancarlosonetti macrumors member

juancarlosonetti

@wicknix, do you think it would be easy to compile Pale Moon, Arctic Fox or Spiderweb in OpenBSD? OpenBSD has better performance than Linux on my G3, but there are no good web browsers for it, so I might try it.

3. sparty411 macrumors regular

sparty411

I'm curious about this as well. OpenBSD has much better hardware support for G3's.

4. sawpits macrumors regular

5. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

@juancarlosonetti It's worth a shot trying Arctic Fox. Riccardo made the changes needed to get it to build on freebsd, netbsd and openbsd for i386/x86_64, so there's a good chance it'd build for PPC now. However it wont build with gcc7/8. You'll need 4 or 5 for best results. You'll also need 1gb ram minimum with a 1gb swap file or you'll run out of memory during linking. Swap isn't a good solution, but it does work in a pinch. 2gb of ram or more is best, but i did build AF on my mac mini g4 with 1gb ram w/1gb swap for the first few builds until i got my G5 running again.

Cheers

6. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

I've been able to modify a few old seamonkey themes for spiderweb. I now have my favorite PinBall theme installed. :)
    Grab them from the add-ons link on spiderwebs download page.

Cheers

spiderweb-themes.png

7. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Hah! An oldie but a goodie, going all the way back to Mozilla. I've got a pile of these old themes that work with Classilla, currated on a page that I forgot about- http://atari.vg-network.com/classilla

8. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

9. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Quick question, is anyone having any luck getting YouTube videos to play in SpiderWeb?

The whole player UI works, but the content won't play back. Just dark with the loading circle.

10. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

They play for me, but the red and blue colors are switched. I recommend the modified greasemonkey for SW with ViewTube script, and browser-plugin-vlc. Works like a charm. It may look like the GM script installer freezes. Just exit the browser and restart. The script will be installed. Navigate to youtube, select VLC from the player drop down menu and enjoy. :)

Cheers

11. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

12. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

13. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

With those installed you'll see this when you select a video. These are my settings. You can play around with them, just make sure the player is VLC.

viewtube.png

Cheers.

14. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

@wicknix @z970mp I haven't tried the powerpc UXP palemoon for long but I tried disabling MSE altogether and youtube video playback would start, only MP4 videos IIRC (you should probably also disable webM). Though there's likely an endianness issue with colorspace management there too (blue hue all over the video).

15. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

@XaPHER yeah there are a few lingering endianess issues I haven't had a whole lot of time to look in to yet. I'm just happy I was able to get UXP to build on ppc32. :)

Feel free to PR any fixes you might come across or figure out.

16. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

Actually this would be a good idea. I was wanting to backport tenfourfox security/features changesets to a mozilla45.9 fork but haven't yet.. I'm not building much as of late and I rarely boot into gentoo. Once I get more active I know where to submit PRs(relevant to UXP of course).

17. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

18. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

Hey, just asking, do you have a diff of the changes to the UXP tree for PPC? I notice there's no separate commit for the changes. Or if you can point somewhere the changes are discussed? Just curious.

Else I'll make the diff myself later; I can't right now.

Thanks!

19. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

I uploaded it after I got it building. Basically it wasn't too hard, just time consuming. I grepped my way through the tree and searched out the words "sse2" and "-m64". I removed all instances of sse2 and changed all instances of -m64 to -m32. The last issue was creating a big endian icu.dat file to replace the default little endian icu.dat. there's more info on that in a readme in my ported repo.

Aside from that, I wanted to stay at 28.4.1 or earlier because they have slowly been removing legacy code from uxp.

Cheers

20. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

I click Install in the Greasemonkey installation window, but it never installs. I can click on the button all day but it does nothing. When I click "Show script source", I get a File Not Found error with the path /tmp/gm-temp/viewtube.user.js. I even tried downloading and dragging the script into the browser. Same issues.

Any advice?

21. wicknix, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

SpiderWeb 2.1.0 is now available. All UXP changes from 28.4.1 to current 28.6.1 are applied to this build.

@swamprock I haven't been able to find a 100% working GM yet. The one i modified installs, and works, but the script installer hangs as you've found out. So you can either copy the viewtube script to "gm_scripts" in SW's profile or copy the whole "gm_scripts" folder from AF (assuming you use the same scripts with AF). Copying from AF is what i did and the script is working with youtube in SW for me. Hope that helps.

Cheers

sw-gm-yt.png

22. z970mp, Aug 13, 2019

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

23. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

Neat. They built it from my git repo. PM doesn't use that type of version string. That version display was changed by me as i was testing things out and i used a build date format instead, but i had to keep the 28. for add-on compatibility. See: https://github.com/wicknix/UXP4PPC32/blob/master/application/palemoon/config/version.txt . So this is 28.4.1 which my 32bit port was based off of. Hopefully it's stable as i replaced all the -m64 flags with -m32 in a ton of makefiles. At any rate, nice to see. :)

Cheers

24. swamprock, Aug 13, 2019

swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

EDIT: Copying over the gm_scripts folder from Arctic Fox worked. 2.1.0 is now on the Fienix repo as well, so I installed it from there. Thanks again!

25. wicknix thread starter macrumors 6502

wicknix

A little off topic, but...
    This is for you guys since i don't care for the "Intel" section of this forum. Most of us here have some older Intel Macs also, so i made a few changes and built SpiderWeb for 10.7+ as well. It's built with security and speed in mind, just like the PPC version. More info and download link found here: https://randommacstuff.blogspot.com/

Cheers