V-MODA vibe headphones incompatible with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by illyanadmc, Jun 25, 2010.

1. illyanadmc macrumors newbie

I have the V-MODA vibe headphones that have the iPhone mic/control button built-in, and they seem to be somewhat incompatible with the iPhone 4. The headphone speakers work just fine for listening to music, but the button doesn't seem to control the iPod functions very well (or at all). I had to press it multiple times for the music to turn off, then press it multiple times again to get the music to turn back on. After I had gotten the music to turn back on, pressing the button seemed to change the volume, instead of pausing or advancing the track. I haven't had a chance to try the built-in mic yet, but when I did attempt to make a call while wearing the headphones, there was a constant clicking noise present (which was not there when the music was playing, thankfully) - I could hear the ring and voice mail message pick up, but the clicking was almost as loud.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with these or other third-party headphones? I was under the impression that nothing had changed with the headphone jack or the control button functionality. To be clear, I do not have a Bumper case on my phone (just read about that headphone jack issue).

2. coreynyc macrumors member

I'm having the same issue with my Vibes. It seems to be a random number of button pushes to get the music to stop/start

3. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you been able to use the mic during a phone call?

4. coreynyc macrumors member

Haven't tried that yet

5. jessejonesphoto macrumors newbie

Same problem

I've had the V-Moda Vibes for about a year now, they've been great with my old 3GS, but my new iPhone 4 can't use them for phone calls. There is a regular "blipping" in my ear when i call, and the person on the far end can't hear me at all.

I've tried the same headphones in an iPhone 3GS today, and they work. I've also tried the headphones that come with the iPhone 4 in the new iPhone, and they work just fine.

If anyone comes up with an explanation or suggestion, that would be wonderful. I like these headphones!

To be clear (as there are many models), these are the headphones I have:

http://www.amazon.com/V-Moda-Earbud-Headset-Gunmetal-Compatible/dp/B001132DNW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

6. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are the same ones I have - can't believe they are so cheap now! I think I paid $99 two years ago.

That blipping is exactly what I heard, and I suspect that, when I do try again to make a call using the headphone mic, I will have the same result as you. Too bad, I really do like these headphones. I hope that V-MODA will release new, iPhone 4 compatible ones soon!

7. jessejonesphoto macrumors newbie

Possible "noise cancellation" issue?

I posted this issue over at the TiPB forums, and another user responded with a very good point:

http://forum.tipb.com/showthread.php?p=1590482&posted=1#post1590482

He thinks it might be an issue with the built-in noise-cancellation mic on the iPhone 4. He has a call into an Apple Expert, and I'm hoping to hear the results soon. I'll post in here again if it's updated.

-jj

8. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

very good point! thanks for the link, and please keep us posted. i really hope it's an easy SW fix, as i love these headphones.

9. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

boo - now i've noticed that the volume on my music is going up-and-down, randomly, while using these headphones - and i'm not even pressing the button on the cord. i guess i'll have to switch to the old sony headphones that i used before i had an iphone for the time being.

10. Stn201 macrumors newbie

Noise cancellation not working when making calls

I also believe there's a problem with the noise cancellation feature when usin 3rd party headphones when making phone calls. The mic on the iPhone doesn't turn off and I hear background noise from all around me. Has anyone else experienced this? Ive not read any other blogs on it besides this one. Please help!!

11. apothescary macrumors newbie

You could try pulling the plug out a tiny bit to make sure the metal on the end of the plug is not grounding out against the metal on the outside of the case. If it is you can add a small rubber gasket or spacer to prevent the problem. I had to do this on an ipod touch before that had the same symptoms.

12. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion. after you did that, you were able to use the headphone button to control your ipod touch?

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a Shure 210 pair and I experienced the same condition when doing phone calls, I hear all what I think the external mic is catching. However it is ok for all other features: listening to the iPhone's output sound while not making a call, and using the button to pause, play, advance. I do have a bumper and it fits fine.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

15. apothescary macrumors newbie

Yeah, they work fine with the microphone and button as long as the plug is not grounding out against the metal case on the ipod touch. I just used really thin little rubber washers to prevent contact. Before I did that the microphone would not work and the button would either not work or do the wrong thing, like fast forward music instead of playing.

That would be nice if the iPhone 4 issue is similar because it is an easy fix.

16. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

17. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

My v-moda vibes work perfectly with no issues with the button or the mic.

18. bobright macrumors 601

I am interested in picking up some of these headphones as theyre not bad, price wise and seem ok quality.

Although I've read some bad reviews are they really so cheap they only last like 5 months or so not even a year?

19. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

When I bought mine they were not cheap about $99. Have been great for over a year now.

20. coreynyc macrumors member

I wrote to V-MODA and they responded:
    The form I've attached is what you need to send in with your earphones to upgrade.

Attached Files:

21. OC513 macrumors 6502

Nice find.....I just got off the phone with them and I can upgrade as well. My VModas have served me well since original launch in '07....nice to be able to pick up their latest and greatest for only $30 and have full button function for the new iPhone. The Remix are more highly rated by all the websites as well. Kevlar cables for longer life. I am psyched.

22. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

fantastic news! thanks for the update and the chart!

23. AML225 macrumors regular

Anybody having issues with their Vibe II's and the iPhone 4?

24. illyanadmc thread starter macrumors newbie

i forgot to ask, do the headphones you're sending in need to be under a warranty period? i ask because it looks like the chart is for warranty replacement. just wondering if they're waiving the warranty period for people who are having problems because of the iphone 4, as i have had my vibes for two years now (so they are probably not under warranty anymore).

25. coreynyc macrumors member