V-moda with mic control released!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by linshiwen, Oct 2, 2007.

1. linshiwen macrumors member

99 bucks, just like the original. From Engadget:

"Anyone who's been repeatedly reaching for a iPod remote control clipped to their wardrobe while using their iPhone -- only to discover that it doesn't exist -- will be delighted to hear that V-MODA has revamped its Vibe Duo headset to add integrated music control. The control button, which seems to be positioned and operated the same way as the one on the iPhone's bundled headset, can be used to fiddle with calls as well as tunes. It's not quite the four or five button set we'd like to be able to track forward, back, play, pause, and change volume, but considering that the iPhone lacks a control socket beside its jack, we'll take what we can get. Get the updated 'phones now for the same $99 as the original."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/02/v-moda-re-ups-vibe-duo-headset-for-iphone-with-music-control/

2. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Yep, I saw that. This is from a Mac Minute:
    MODA intros VIBE Duo headset for iPhone
    October 2 - 09:03 EDT V-MODA today announced the latest version of its VIBE Duo, a noise-isolating dual-use headphone/headset designed to accessorize the Apple iPhone. The new VIBE Duo with control-playback functionality features a discreet microphone with a call button, allowing users to take calls and control the music functions of the iPhone with hands-free convenience. Hi-definition sound and superior comfort round out the mix of premium features. The VIBE Duo headphone/headset is available now for US$99.99.

Now, if only someone would buy this and post a review

3. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Well im going to an Apple today, ill tell you guys what i find

4. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

As far as I know, they don't have them yet (so they said when I called).

Besides seeing the black controller, the other way you can tell the difference is by the part number.

Original: vduo-nero (according to Apple website)
    NEW: VDB-NERO (according to V-Moda website)

I would think they'd update the packaging too, but we'll have to wait and see.

5. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Ya im really not expecting them to have them but maybe they will know when it will come in, who knows?

6. constant L macrumors member

how long until they are are on the apple online store do you think?

7. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

No idea, but if you order them directly at the V-MODA store online, shipping and tax are free for a "limited time". I see they take most credit cards and Paypal too.

edit: although they charge $1-2 more

8. constant L macrumors member

im buying these with my credit from apple

9. calvy macrumors 65816

I was hoping to do the same but can't find them in either of my local stores. Although both stores have told me they've had them on the shelves for a while now. I think they are just idiots and don't know what I'm talking about.

10. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Hopefully these hit the shelves within a week or so since they were just announced. I'm sitting on a Sharper Image gift card and they do carry the original version. They don't know if they'll have the new one. Since these replace the original I'm guessing they will have them, when is the bigger question. I might have to just buy them and use the GC for something else.

11. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Just ordered direct from V-moda. If I get them and no one's done it yet I'll put up a review. The 30 day guarantee is nice, and from what I've read they're top notch in the customer service department.

Have to admit though, the order process did give me a "WTF, over" moment: I wanted to opt for overnight shipping, cause I HATE the stock buds and I'm just not feeling the MPA. Well, UPS 2nd day was only $15 bucks.....but UPS Next Day was MORE THAN THE BUDS THEMSELVES. $110 bucks. I expected maybe $40 or $50.....yeesh!

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Amazon says 4-6 weeks. :mad:

I have a shiteload of Amazon gift certificates to use and I don't need anything except these.

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Does anyone have a pair of the first version V-moda headphones?

I'd like to know how they stack up sound quality wise compared to Sony Fontopias.

14. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I've kinda been waiting for these, to see how they stack up and the cost, to use my Apple card on. Its either these or the Shure thing with a case and charger for the car.

Anyways, no that they are out, only have to wait a little longer to hear reviews, and the price is better then i thought. I still think its too much to spend on headphones, but then my ears are not the greatest. The most I have spent in the past was 40 on the apple in ear buds that I still use, but they are starting to fall apart.

Decisions decisions. Of course I will be waiting for my iPhone to return before making any decisions. :(

15. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I was tempted to try doing this with a decent set of earbuds...
    http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=200584
    but by the time you buy an extra OEM iPhone headset and better headphones plus your time, its not worth it when the Duos were coming. Besides, you have to love the black and chrome of the Duos over white for the iPhone. I've read tons of great reviews for the original Duos. I think I'll drop by Sharper Image which has the originals on display and test them out since I don't think Apple or anyone else has display samples out.

16. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I suppose it depends on what you consider a decent pair of headphones. I am usually good with a $15-$20 pair, but have never even tried a pair more expensive then $40. Not sure if I want to and find I am missing something. I know I bought an iPhone, but I used all my money on it, and if I had waited a week or two, I wouldn't have because of some other things that popped up afterwards. Not complaining, it just the way it is, but I do love my iPhone and want to get some good accessories for it.

I want to get a few things and trying to figure out how to maximize the limited funds that I currently have. I need a new car charger, would like to get a nice hip case, so I can move the iPhone from my chest pocket, and would like to be able to connect my iPhone to my tape deck while in the car. THe shure thing would allow me to use any headphone I desire and also connect it to the tape deck, instead of that adapter.

Haven't decided, every-time I think I have made a decision, I change it.
    Would like to hear your take on how the headset sounds, and maybe compare it to a couple of others, including the apple ones, which may be the only ones I have access to.

Thanks,

17. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I'm was happy with my original Vibe-Duo's until the left one blew out, now I'm just sitting on a one-ear earpiece.

Thank God there's a 1-year warranty, do you think if I send them in, they're replace them with one of the new headphones?

Here's hoping...

18. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Sounds like the Shure adapter might be a better solution for you. I like that it gives you more options. I'll post my thoughts on them and some others.

If it blew out I would think they would replace them, if you ask nicely you might even get the new ones! They seem to have great customer service. Let us know how it turns out.

19. linshiwen thread starter macrumors member

I ordered mine like 15 min after they were announced, and they have already shipped. With any luck they will get here in a couple days (though I got standard free shipping, so who knows). I will surely post my review.

Oh, also, I read that they require a few hours to burn in, and you shouldnt expect its final sound profile until 10 hours of burn time.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm going to pick them up once readily available. I might also wait, for prices to come down at places like Amazon.

$100 isn't bad for decent headphones, with the mic and click functions. I think these will be a big success.

21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

You may be right, but I am patient so will mull it over for a while. One of the things that might decide it for me is wether or not I want the case that I saw on Apple site or not. I have seen a couple I like better that are also cheaper elsewhere. So don't know which way I am going with this. I want to hear a few reviews of the V-Moda, and check up on the Shure.

22. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Just got them, I've spent a few minutes messing around, but I plan to burn them in overnight, so I'll hold off on going indepth on them, but as for the initial impressions:

1. I really like their switch housing design. I always had a problem with the apple one's as the "squarness" of the edges always caught on my shirt collars, and I've got big hands, but no such problems with the v-moda's. The actual switch is a button very much like the Shure MPA, but for me seems easier to find. The included clip is nice,

2. Can't remember the name of the term (is it microphonics?) about sound being carried by contact with the cabling.....it's there. It's not terrible compared to your average headphones, but should be expected considering that the cabling isn't very thick, unlike the Shures. I'd say about on par with the stock iPhone buds, but a tad sharper due to the cable having a mesh-like covering. I'll have to give it more time to see how much this might bother me...so far not too much, and I was using the stock buds regularly and they didn't bother me too much, but YMMV.

3. Sound.....hard for me to judge, especially considering I haven't had a lot of time with them and I'm coming off a pair of Shure E4Cs. My initial impression is very positive though, as I'm trying to keep in mind these aren't supposed to be in the same level as the E4Cs. The bass is heavy, but not in any way uncomfortably so. I can tell it suffers a bit in the high range, and the midrange seems a touch....the word I want to use is muted, but that's a bit harsh. They are by no means whatsoever unlistenable, to the contrary I do enjoy them very much. I'm gonna play around with the ear fittings (apparently they have a pretty big effect on the sound) and set them to burn in for a bit and give them a re-listen.

The 15 minute impression is that I like them very much, and definitely plan on replacing my current setup (E4C/MPA) for iPhone use. Believe me, if Shure came out with something like the E4's, but with an integraded mic/control like the stock buds and the v-moda's I'd be all over it. But since that ain't happening, I think I'll be sticking with these guys.

23. linshiwen thread starter macrumors member

I certainly appreciate your initial review, and you sound like you know what you are talking about (more than me, anyway) but remember that just about every review of the old Vibe reviews all said that the sound characteristics improved noticably after a long (8-10 hour) burn in. So please update us after that time..

(mine are scheduled to arrive on the 10th)

24. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Nice review, I am looking forward to mine arriving (also on the 10th). Please give us an update after getting some break-in time.

25. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Ok....24 hours of burn-in down, so here is the update:

First, I was in the area so I stopped by the apple store and picked up the splitter cable for the iPhone. I figure I'm gonna be flying soon and I'd prefer the fuller isolation of the E4C's on the plane, plus the bennie of being able to do a direct sound-sound comparison between different headsets. So, here we go.

1. Burn-in: Oh yeah, it is definitely not hype. Popped the v-moda's into the iphone, queued up a playlist, and it was a rather different sound profile. The bass somewhat settled down, and wasn't as boomy as it was in the beginning. The midrange and high range opened up...the muted-ness was much lessened, and I liked the profile more. You could still notice a bit of loss in the high range, but nothing beyond what was to be expected from this level of headphones.

2. Microhonics. Well, after being out and about with them for some time today, I have to say I was surprised that it just wasn't all that noticeable. I honestly expected it to be worse than it was. Now, I have to say I think the v-moda design would benefit from a thicker, more isolating cable, but as it is it is very acceptable. The only caveat I'd say is if you absolutely cannot stand microphonics in any way, shape, or form, then I'd say take it into consideration.

3. Match-up: Well, I ran these puppies against both my Shure E4C's and my E3C's...I didn't bother to do a comp between the stock iPhone buds because a) they don't fit my damn ears so it wouldn't be fair, and b) even if they fit they would come in dead last. My process (as scientifically asinine as it is) was simple: plug each set into the splitter, spend about a minute going back and forth with one on mute and one on sound, then spend the next minute with both playing to see the difference. Did this on a variety of different sound types (rock, rap, techno, pop, orchaestral, etc).

So, first comp I did was against the E4Cs. Honestly, not much of a contest. E4's are more open, with noticeably better mids and highs. The bass (not something the E4's are known for) was surprisingly close but not as good as the v-moda's. When played together, you could notice that the sound detail was more clear and the soundstage felt more open on the E4's. Now, this is not to say the v-moda's sounded bad....to my mind, considering the design, the target audience, and the price, the v-moda's did an admirable job. To try and number it....if the E4Cs rated an 8 of 10, the v-moda's to my mind would be in the 6.5-7 range.

Next, the E3C. This was a fun test, mostly because it was pretty damn tough. The only thing to me that really differentiated the two was that the bass response on the v-moda's were fuller. Aside from that, when playing the two of them together, it was really tough to tell them apart. Considering the only reason I ditched the E3's for the E4 was that the right earpiece came off the wire (ie - I was extremely pleased with them), this again speaks very, very highly of the v-moda's. Bass was much better on the v-moda's, and I'd have to say the clarity in the mid/high range was similar to the point that when I was focusing on it with both playing, it felt/sounded to me like I just had one headset on. In truth, if push came to shove, and I had to chose between the v-moda's and a "version" of the E3C with it's own built in mic/control unit, I'd pick the v-moda's over the E3Cs.

Phone use - Sound clarity was very good, and I didn't get any complaints from people I talked to regarding how I sounded, including a call or two made outdoors. The switch works exactly as it should, and I especially like the solid tacticle feel of it.

Comfort - I actually find them to be a bit more comfortable than the Shure's. Granted I'd put that more up to me using the triple-flange insert for the Shure's, but after a few hours with them in I'd end up with sore ears, whereas the v-moda's only left a very mild discomfort.

Bottom line.....anybody wanna buy a Shure MPA adapter? Also, if anyone has any questions or wants to me to try listening to them with a particular piece of music, just post it up and I'll oblige ya.