Vacation to Texas

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Me and 4 friends are planning a holiday to Austin, Texas during September 20th-30th. Would anyone from there recommend any activities or bars out there that are worth checking out?

Although this will be a chiefly alcohol-centric holiday, there may be room for sight-seeing or other activities during the day :cool:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Going to Texas, huh?

What happened, lose a bet?? :confused:

;) :rolleyes: :D
We wanted to go somewhere that wasn't a typical destination for other Brits, like New York, San Francisco, California, Vegas etc. And being a huge Country Music fan I steered them towards Texas ;)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
We wanted to go somewhere where not many other British tourists seem to go, avoiding the typical destinations like New York, San Francisco, California, Vegas etc. And being a huge Country Music fan I steered them towards Texas ;)
Nashville :confused: Tons of music and whisky.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
We wanted to go somewhere that wasn't a typical destination for other Brits, like New York, San Francisco, California, Vegas etc. And being a huge Country Music fan I steered them towards Texas ;)
Just yanking your chain, Mate.

I'm sure you'll have a great time...:D

Will2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Me and 4 friends are planning a holiday to Austin
Check out Hamilton Pool. It's not a real pool, more like a quarry lake. It's out in the country a little, but it's an amazing experience. An giant circular rock formation with a spring fed pool. There's also a path that takes you down to the river for a swim too. Best if you can go during the week to avoid crowds.

teejer

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Vacation and Texas should never be uttered in the same sentence. Or actually the same novel.

That said, at least if you have to be tortured, its better to be tortured in Austin.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
6th street for night life and drinking, if that's your thing - but it won't be country music. You should have looked into Nashville for that.

Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood is worth the trip. Visit the bat colony in the early evening if you get a chance, that's a pretty fun thing to watch.

Vacation and Texas should never be uttered in the same sentence. Or actually the same novel.

That said, at least if you have to be tortured, its better to be tortured in Austin.
Austin isn't a bad place, if you're able to overlook all the bohemians and longhorns. I like Dallas much better, but I try to visit Austin pretty regularly.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
6th street for night life and drinking, if that's your thing - but it won't be country music. You should have looked into Nashville for that
Its OK, my friends wouldn't have liked that, it'll be on the radio right? That'll be enough for me :)

Mostly I just wanted to actually go to Texas and after some research Austin seemed to have a very good night life.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Its OK, my friends wouldn't have liked that, it'll be on the radio right? That'll be enough for me :)

Mostly I just wanted to actually go to Texas and after some research Austin seemed to have a very good night life.
I've been to many parts of the U.S. and almost everywhere you go there's country music on the radio, so you should be set there. :cool:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I grew up near Corpus Christi...
Wow. There's your problem right there.

Dr McKay, I'm not exactly local to Austin, but I'm there every now and then, and there is a ton of stuff to do. Downtown is quite vibrant (meaning a party place), even during the week.

I guess for lack of more specific advice, I'd point you here. A quick look at the places they're recommending tells me it is fairly legit. Last time I was there it was seafood at Eddie V's and some drinks at Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, which gets funnier the later it gets.