Vacations - Am I the only one that does this?

max2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Worry about having internet during the vacation ? I know it is suppose to be a vacation.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
You will find internet enough in most places — unless you are in the middle of the Sahara or deep in the Amazon… and even then satellite links should be available.

Personally the best use I have for the internet while travelling is Google Maps. But even then offline maps help a lot.

And I always have some paper maps and directions with me.

Email and FaceBook and stuff can wait until they are convenient to access and needed.

The world really does not need another "instant" pic of me sipping a drink somewhere… If I am sitting under a shady palm on a coral white beach somewhere and I am scrolling through FaceBook, then I'd need a serious look at my life.

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
Funny, before internet I never worried about it. Had a great time anyway. That said it's a nice way to keep in touch.
this is like saying before buses and subways were invented, we never had to worry that they were down. internet is ubiquitous in our lives that i expect it to be available in most places i visit.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I print out my itinerary. I have the important points of where the hotel is, airport flight times and anything else pertinent. I don't use social media. Nor do I spend much time on the internet. It would just be an inconvenience not being able to check the weather, look for local restaurant reviews, get an Uber or find local attractions. That's about all I use the internet for when traveling. I'm there to experience the place not do the same thing I do at home.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
Not really. But what I often do is purchase several vacation plans, go on most of them, and then return them before completion to compare. Whichever vacation is best is the one I finish.

;):):p:D:eek::cool:

Reactions: arkitect and D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I gather you never visited West Texas :)
Or the western Catskills. :eek: All horizons average a quarter mile away in the "wrinkled" terrain of foothills to this mountain range, so cellular use is a challenge, (aka per optimistic carriers), "spotty coverage". Likewise broadband or even DSL in some of the rural stretches. When you come here for a vacation, you can really get one. :D

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The internet is enormously helpful for navigation, restaurant reviews, translation, communicating with friends and family back home, finding out when places are open or closed, etc.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Went to Yellowstone and Glacier national parks where is there VERY limited internet.

I don't recall minding it much at all. Of course it's nice to have Internet but sometimes it was nice to be just myself, vehicle, and gf, figuring things out.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
I will not choose an airline or location based on whether there's internet or not. If fact, I will not use WiFi on a plane.

But I will look for accommodation with internet if a place has it, preferably including Ethernet. I will try to avoid WiFi.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
You will find internet enough in most places — unless you are in the middle of the Sahara or deep in the Amazon… and even then satellite links should be available.
Not quite, and not only in the Catskills and West Texas, and the Welsh mountains.

I've been in parts of the world, indeed parts of Europe, (most recently this past week) where internet coverage was spotty, patchy and very, very uneven.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Worry about having internet during the vacation ? I know it is suppose to be a vacation.
Do not worry about it what so ever.
I can sit at home and stare at glass. I don’t have to pay money to go somewhere else and do that.
While on vacation connectivity is a convenience.

One time my wife said, what if someone was got into a horrible accident or died.

My being somewhere else and knowing at that very moment isn’t going to change what happened.

If something happened and I didn’t get called I surely wouldn’t fault the person that didn’t call me.

Vacation - disconnect and enjoy.
You’ll be back in the rat race soon enough.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The internet is enormously helpful for navigation, restaurant reviews, translation, communicating with friends and family back home, finding out when places are open or closed, etc.
Exactly. That said, I do try and greatly reduce my internet usage during vacations, and concentrate on spending the time with whoever I'm with.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
It's one of the reasons I don't want to take a cruise.
I haven't been on a cruise without internet in at least 10 years, maybe longer then that, though I seldom use it, or pay for it if they aren't giving it to me for free. Depending on the cruise location, with the exception of a cross atlantic or California to Hawaii, you are usually at port at least every other day, and my phone gets me internet and texting for free everywhere but Cuba, so I turn it on, verify the little dogs haven't hurt the big dogs, house is still standing and all the family is good, post some picture that makes everyone at work mad at me for a few hours and enjoy my vacation. To the OP (actually anyone) what do you use the internet for on your vacation? In Tanzania, we had a real slow internet 15 years ago, and every 3 days or so, I would send an email saying Lion tried to come in tent and eat me, but we are still having fun. And I would get updates on how everyone was doing, but if I didn't have it, I would have had just as much fun, and saved the $5 for 30 minutes I paid 4 or 5 times on the trip. The funny thing is 20 years ago I started taking vacations outside the country, because its the only way my company wouldn't call me on vacation and ask for help (though they are much better at it now), now they could actually get in touch with me, but they are properly trained and don't really try.
-Tig

Reactions: decafjava