Vaja Grip for iPhone 6 -- Pictures / Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Munitalp, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Munitalp, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Munitalp macrumors 65816

Just received my Vaja Grip case for the iPhone 6

Pictures can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/3TDiT

***Overall the case is very well made, as Vaja products always are. The case feels great in your hand, and maintains the overall form and slim feeling of the iPhone. The leather is soft and great quality as always. The case is very light so it doesn't add much weight at all.

***One difference is the case really doesn't wrap around the iPhone as much as previous versions, so it comes off much more easily. On the 5S version it was actually hard to put the case on and take it off, but with this it goes on and comes off extremely easily.

***The main NEGATIVE thing that I quickly noticed is the "face down" raised edges on the case (which keep the phones screen from hitting the table or ground) are not high enough to protect the iPhones screen. The edges are almost perfectly even with most of the screen (as seen in my pictures) -- the edges on the bottom of the case are slightly higher than the top, but both are almost even with the iPhone. I had the Vaja Grip for the iPhone 5S and the edges were raised well beyond the screen -- so that you didn't have to worry when placing the phone face down, or dropping it. In this case, the phone screen will be hitting whatever you set it on (not good).

I am pretty sure this issue is a design issue / defect, because if you look at the pictures on the Vaja website, you can clearly see the edges are raised higher in their pictures. As others have noted, the Grip iPhone 6 case appears more like the Grip LP "Low Profile" iPhone 6 case [noting the lower profile and lack of raised edges in the LP].

[​IMG]
    [iPhone 6 Grip Case -- as seen on the Vaja website]

[​IMG]
    [iPhone 6 LP "Low Profile" Grip Case -- as seen on the Vaja website]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've owned raja cases in the past and always found them to be extremely we'll made, albeit expensive.

While you don't own the IP6+ do you notice any perceptible increase in stiffness? That is do you think if I opt for a vaja IP6+ case it will help counter act the bending issue?

3. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

The Grip for the iPhone 6 is much more bendable than it was for the 5S, so I doubt it would provide much protection for bending. The case feels a lot thinner, which makes it not as rigid.

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

5. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

A few more pictures

[see Imgur in original post for all of the pics]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

Here is a picture of the old 5S version for reference:

[​IMG]

6. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

That was their response... Looks like I'm going to have to dispute their charges with AMEX :confused:

7. Knliebe macrumors member

Glad I didn't order one now. Sad to hear that about such a promising case.

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Did you ask for a return that was denied or something?

9. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Functionally it would protect the screen...

I guess I'll mark this one off the list. Doesn't look like it'd protect any better than the Apple one.

10. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

They said that I can ship this one back at my own cost because it was an "In Stock" model but the other one that I ordered they will not cancel.

----------

Their last response...

11. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

I'm confused, what are you fighting them about, OP?

12. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

The case is flush with the iPhone screen and doesn't raise above it to protect the screen -- and the pictures on their website show it raising above. Then I wanted to return it and they want me to pay for return shipping :confused:

13. dipan macrumors member

dipan

Thanks for the pics. The lip is not a game changer for me. I would rather place it down face-up anyway and the lip is just something that might get snagged in pocket anyway.

It does look pretty thick with the phone however. If you can, please let us know how many millimeters of thickness the case adds.

14. AppleKing786 macrumors member

AppleKing786

I suppose the Agenda case may be better for protection.

But i wonder if it drops when the face is open, would the case close automatically due to the magnets before it lands?

Also, wonder how much more depth does the extra cover add to the phone.

15. techspin macrumors 6502a

The edges look slightly more raised than the leather Apple case, which barely keeps the screen from touching when face down. Personally, I'm not a fan of the design nor the name. Appreciate the photos though!

16. JCL macrumors member

Show a picture of the 6 in the case. Did you get the LP (low profile) version or the normal grip?

17. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

I posted plenty of pics of it in the case in my original (first) post...

They can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/3TDiT

Thats the normal grip, not the LP. Although it basically looks like the LP... maybe they used the LP frame instead of the normal one or something, I dunno. I tried to work it out with Vaja but the Customer Service lady just keeps reiterating that the edges don't matter and wouldn't help anyway... not helpful at all.

18. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

Great review and pics! I am anxiously waiting for this case. :)

19. JCL macrumors member

Not gonna lie that case looks perfect for my needs.

I do think they used the LP frame because all the past vaja cases I have used have been huge.

20. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Very nice. I like the detail and care they took for the camera cutout. Very elegant. Still anxiously waiting for my Calypsocase. Might just get a Vaja to do a comparison. Though the apparent 25 days to ship even though item is in stock puts me off.

21. Knliebe macrumors member

Agreed. But i am worried about the feel and quality of the Calypsocase after hearing how nice the Vaja is.

22. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

It's different leather from different countries. The style and texture is completely different from the Vaja leather. I have a Hermes card case. The Calypo seems to be made with the same leather (which is why I wanted to get it in the first place). This is a picture of the case.

[​IMG]

Got it about 8 months ago. Holding on nicely. Of course, Calypo probably uses a different supplier but then again, you can't go wrong with Italian leather.

23. Knliebe macrumors member

Out of curiosity, what is the feel of that leather like compared to that of Vaja?
    I hear that Vaja is a very soft, nice leather. While I know they are two completely different leathers, how do you think the Calypsocase leather will feel, given that it seems similar to the Hermes wallet leather?

24. ics55 macrumors regular

I was quoted 25 days and I got a shipping notice today, which is about 5 days after I ordered. They are shipping direct from Argentina, and they shipped it FedEx priority, so I should see it early next week.

25. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

The last time I touched a Vaja was in the 4/4S days so this is purely based on memory. The Vaja leather is thicker, sturdier, rough to the touch compared to the Hermes which is thin, soft and smooth. Do note this is the Hermes leather and not the actual CalyposoCase though I think both will be identical or very similar. Vaja will probably be heavier than the Calypso too. We will only know for sure once I have the case in hand. Which I hope is within the week, though more realistically, 2 weeks.