Vaja grip iphone 4 review and pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thetonyclifton, Sep 8, 2010.

1. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

This is my latest vaja purchase - an iphone 4 vajacases grip case in orange with a 'rabbit' coloured interior.

[​IMG]

I ordered this the day after they were added to the website and received it yesterday - so it took all of the 45 quoted production/delivery time.

For those who are unfamiliar with vajacases they are basically high end (quality and in price) leather cases. I will leave the arguments about cost etc to others - I know how much they cost and that it is at the top end - but I really enjoy their cases. If I didnt have such a nice case I would buy lots of poorer quality cases and ironically enough spend more. This is why I ordered straight away as this has happened to me before when I held off on ordering a vaja.

This is probably my 5th vaja case going all the way back to the early ipod cases - so I know what to expect - for everyone else or for those waiting on their cases I am writing this review - feel free to just look at the photos but I will keep it brief.

This is the first time I have ordered a grip case - all my previous cases have been ivolution SP Tops and going back further plain ivolutions (full case but without the top) I like the SP top cases (which have a rigid top part which folds over and clips covering the screen) but if I am honest it annoyed me after a while, having to remove the flap to just look at the time/messages etc and it hanging awkwardly during calls. It was a great case but this time I wanted less protection and less bulk so went with the grip.

[​IMG]

The build quality is as always fantastic - not a stitch in sight which is great, but glued together well enough that you do not see it ever coming apart. The case feels extremely solid even without the phone inside-it is rigid enough that even squeezing the empty case only moves it a little. With the phone inside it fells solid and expensive (if that makes sense).

[​IMG]

Some people complain about vaja cases being difficult to get the phone in and out of (I have had this experience with previous cases) not so the grip - the phone slides in an out easily while remaining snug with no movement side to side) and I have a front back and side protectors on my phone.

This is the first vaja I have had with the new branding - they used to have a small metal logo added to the front which I was indifferent about at best - the new branding is a thin metal along the bottom of the rear of the case - it is clean and I think an improvement - it is certainly more symmetrical than before.

[​IMG]

Moving on to symmetry, this is my only gripe with the case and that is the lack of symmetry on the back of the case - now given the design (with the camera corner exposed) it was never going to be symmetrical - but if you look at the pics below you will see that the case rises to the right at the top - this teamed with the reinforced black leather around the bottom of the camera cut out made the case seem 'lumpy' to me to begin with - this I got used to after a matter if minutes and am now extremely happy with the case. I have taken a photo which intentionally accentuates this.

[​IMG]

To sum up:-

I would recommend it to all vaja fans and those who want a stylish minimal case.

This is not a cheap case.

This is not an all protecting case

This case is well made, stands out from the crowd and offers protection from bumps, bruises/general pocket.

Its leather - it will wear and become marked over time - but mine have all outlasted my phone.

[​IMG]

2. walds11 macrumors 6502a

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's a nice shade of orange. Thanks for pics.

4. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

No probs - yes it is bright without being glow in the dark neon - so is really nice.

5. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

No offense but I think this case is absolutely hideous.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

The top front half/sides of the phone isn't protected in anyway. Looks akward.

7. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I remember when I got my first Vaja case for my iPod 5G :) I loved it lol, But I gotta say... this thing looks horrendous. The top of the back doesnt even look put together correctly. Like the little black piece by the flash cutout, and like the top is uneven wdf is up with that? I expected a lot more from Vaja

8. charliehustle macrumors 6502

I was really feeling these cases, but not sure how I feel on the little part where the camera is. And also the hump where the sleep button is.

Still gonna buy one though.

9. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

I dont mind at all but your comment is fairly strong while offering nothing.

Yes my first instinct was the same as some of the comments about the back top - which is why I included it in the review and took the picture to show it off as much as possible. The picture does exaggerate it a bit.

But overall the case looks and feels great, I am very happy with it.

10. maniacphoner macrumors regular

The color, orange, is quite nice. Too bad the corner of the camera is exposed. That I am not too fond of.

11. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I understand that - but vaja cases are all like that, even those that have a screen cover. It is def not a full protection case as I said, this is called a 'grip' it is their least protective case and is really intended as a grip. Really just to protect against pocket/table damage and scuffs.

Although having said that I have dropped probably all my devices in vaja cases and never landed on that corner and the cases protected my stuff just fine - but I guess thats luck - but definitely better chance with some protection than none.

Everyone's priorites for a case are different.

Mine for iphone 4 are.....
    small small small - no bulk
    So scuff and small bump protection only really
    No cheap materials
    Looks different-especially considering it seems everyone owns an iphone now - its not 2007 anymore :)

12. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

The orange color isn't doing it for me, but that's just a personal preference.

I do like the design quite a bit. It's unique, and that's the attraction to Vaja for many. They offer something up that no one else does.

This case is on the list absolutely.

Thanks for sharing the photos and of course enjoy the case!

13. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - the colour is definitely down to personal preference - fortunately vaja allow a ridiculous amount of colour combinations and even now 2 leather types.

Personally all of my previous vajas have been blue/navy/grey/black - so I really wanted something totally different this time.

14. thetoness macrumors member

Did they send you a tracking number when they shipped? I ordered on July 20th and still get the same BS answer "product is in the final stages of production and we will send you a tracking number when it ships" Quite frustrated with them. Thanks

15. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

No I emailed them once the 45 days were up and asked where it was - they told me it had already been dispatched the week before and gave me a tracking number - it arrived the day after but they would not have bothered to tell me had I not asked.

Not up their usual standards dispatch/tracking wise.

16. I Am Canadian macrumors newbie

A nice fall pumpkin color.

17. mokeiko macrumors 6502

Nice case, I like how it fits perfectly with the iPhone4.

mokeiko

18. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, dont see a lot of pumpkins in the UK - it is slightly brighter than my recollection of a pumpkin.

19. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

It is a very good fit - vajas in the past have been extremely tight (good once they are on but not very usable to take on and off)

This one is snug but easy to take on an off.

20. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

All I am saying is that this case completely destroys the clean polished looks of the phone. But hey, different strokes for different folks, right? If it "does" it for you then great! Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing you at all, just shared my opinion :D

21. thetonyclifton thread starter macrumors regular

I do disagree - the case is not perfect but looks great compared to most of the plastic/rubber cases out there.

You gave an opinion in only the most basic and unconstructive way, adding no substance or reasoning to the discussion until your last post and even then...

22. chanerz macrumors 6502a

23. ics55 macrumors regular

I just got one of these. I was using an Element Vapor 4. This case feels very comfortable in my hand compared to the hard edges of the vapor. They both have their strengths and I expect I will go back and forth.

24. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I love it. Gonna order one for the wife's phone.

My only gripe is the 90 days it took for my iPad case. I don't know if I can stand another wait.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

These are a splurge. You wouldn't think there's a poor economy going on.