Vaja Grip VS Calypsocase Cabrio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Knliebe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Knliebe macrumors member

Was curious if anyone is familiar with both cases/companies, which case you suggest I go with.
    I am debating between the Vaja Grip for the iPhone 6, and the Calypsocase Cabrio.
    I am wanting something that is nice, but also is well made and reliable.

Vaja Case:
    http://www.vajacases.com/iphone-6-leather-cases/grip-stock

Calypsocase Cabrio:
    https://www.calypsocrystal.com/calypsocase/cabrio-iphone-6-case/

2. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm familiar with Vaja as I have used their cases before on previous iPhones but not that particular case. In general they make quality products and I was happy with the ones I had before. I've not heard of the other brand until someone posted a link here in another thread but they do look good. I have been eyeing the Calypso cases and may just get one of those.

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I've had many Vaja cases over the years, they are great quality and very well made. Have two of the Vaja Grips on ordered for our iPhone 6's. Only heard about the other company the other day in the case thread. Both look nice and high quality... the major difference I would say is the kind of leather used, Vaja is more natural soft feeling leather -- and the others seems like some other kind of shiny patent looking leather, although its actually natural Italian leather -- I guess they treated it with something to make it shiny.

5. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

If anyone here has ordered the Calypsocase Cabrio and plans on doing a review please let me know!

6. srowndedbyh2o, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

Sorry, I haven't used either case, but the Vaja Grip LP is one of the nicest looking cases I've seen. My only concern is that I use an Square credit card reader, and looking at the photo on the Vaja website, I'm not sure if there is enough clearance for the card reader to plug in.[​IMG]

7. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Have you seen/used the new grip for the iphone 6?

I am hoping to see some hands on videos of both cases soon so I can decide

8. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Nope not yet, I ordered two right when they went on sale -- the in stock one ships within 9 business days and I'll post pics then :) It's basically the same as the Grip for the 5S though, just resized to fit the new iPhones.

The old Vaja Grip for the 5S can be seen here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1648531

9. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Went ahead and ordered the Calypsocase Cabrio.

For $162 shipped, I am hoping the quality and craftsmanship is phenomenal and it holds up for the next 2 years!

10. alinefx macrumors member

Same here. Just ordered. $162 - better blow me away when it gets here. Only thing that's hard to tell is if the case allows swipe gesturing or not. Hope it does. Looks amazing on the site, but who's to tell whether all the stuff they say on the website is true or if if it's just super snazzy marketing. If it's any good, I will order another one for my 6+ (when that gets here eventually - no thanks to AT&T PremierFAIL). I only hope there are some left by the time I get the one for the 6 and feel it's good enough to get for the 6+ as well.

11. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

I ordered my Cabrio on the September 10th, as soon as the 6s' were announced. I will be doing a review once I get it, which is hopefully soon.

I have used Vaja before. Phenomenal quality. Curious about Calypsocase. Argentinian leather vs Italian leather. We shall see.

12. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Looking forward to it! Keep me updated, hopefully we are all happy with it! otherwise it's going back for a Vaja!

13. AlexDB9, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

AlexDB9 macrumors regular

I also pulled the trigger on the calypso. I have high hopes. The tan with Gold sounds like a great combo to me

Attached Files:

14. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

I'm just hoping they are made well enough to last the 2 years i'll have the case/phone for.

15. AlexDB9 macrumors regular

Haha lets hope man. It is the best looking case I have seen yet...hopefully it holds up as good as it looks

16. jackwins macrumors regular

I bought 2 difference Vaja cases for my 6 Plus.

Ive have a Vaja case since the 3GS and their quality is top notch. I dont know anything about Calypso Case, however I cant wait to see when someone posts a review.

17. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully I don't regret not going with Vaja!
    Please post a review and pictures when you get your case

18. Btov macrumors newbie

They do look great, but how the lighter color hold up with stain?

The Brown/ivory color they have there is great looking, but the only leather case I had was from SGP (really cheap leather, I know it won't be the same quality) but the white color of the leather was collecting the color of my jeans. After a month or so, the case was half blue.

Is vaja leather less prone to stain?

19. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Yeah the really light colors will still stain, I don't think theres any natural leather that won't -- besides patent leather which is leather thats coated and has a lacquer type finish [like the Calypso].

These were our two Vaja cases from the 5S -- used for 11 months in jeans / pants everyday. They held up amazingly well... but they aren't light colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure that the Calypso case is patent leather?
    I hope not, because if it is, then it's going back.

21. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I don't know for sure but I would bet that it is, "normal" leather just isn't that shiny... so they take Italian leather and then coat it with some stuff that gives it the shiny lacquer finish. Not that its bad, the cases look great still and I want one. Its just a different style.

This is a Saint Laurent patent leather wallet... looks almost identical to the material on the Calypso Cases.

[​IMG]

22. newtoiphone555 macrumors newbie

The VAJA is seems to be higher quality , however they both doesn't look so good ..

There are some really good ones on Amazon , just search for the best sellers on leather back cases

23. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

can't wait to see someone review vaja case, possibly will get one.

24. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

I emailed Calypsocrystal about the type of leather used but they don't say if its patent leather or not.
    But by their response I may cancel my order and go with the Vaja.

This was their response:

"thanks for your question.

We use embossing dyed leather with high gloss, shiny finish to get the perfect look on CalypsoCases.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best regards,
    Manca"

25. Knliebe thread starter macrumors member

Anyone receive their Vaja case yet? Or expecting it this week? Looking forward to pictures.
    I waited too long to order and now they are saying 15 business days just for a stock case.