Valentines Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nlynn527, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

So i just booked a room for my boyfriend and I for Valentines Day. He is absolutely wonderful to me and I want to do something extra special for him for Valentines Day this week. I'm looking for creative ideas on how to spice up the room a little bit. It has a full kitchen so I plan on either making him dinner or getting take out from a nice restaurant nearby. Any ideas for some other things I could do? The room has a nice living room area and fireplace, but no whirlpool tub :(.

2. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

Candles, music, a red light bulb. You could always do rose pedals, even if it is kind of a cliche. Wearing something naughty couldn't hurt.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This thread might get lewd in a hurry. :D

You could do the obvious and bring along some of his favorite things/pastimes. Beer/beverage/snack, TV or movie on DVD, etc. Kinda depends on what you plan on, uh, doing that night.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

"Let's just call Valentine's Day what it is, a flowers for blow jobs exchange program." @billmaher :D

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

If you need flowers to get a blow job, you're doing it wrong.

- Me

:D

6. Vesperal, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Vesperal macrumors newbie

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'd say go with a "home"cooked meal .

How to spice the room up? No idea. I dont think guys tend to notice those sorts of things unless they are blatantly obvious though.

8. iBlue, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Here's a little bit about the origins Valentine's day:

On February 14 around the year 278 A.D., Valentine, a holy priest in Rome in the days of Emperor Claudius II, was executed.

Under the rule of Claudius the Cruel, Rome was involved in many unpopular and bloody campaigns. The emperor had to maintain a strong army, but was having a difficult time getting soldiers to join his military leagues. Claudius believed that Roman men were unwilling to join the army because of their strong attachment to their wives and families.

To get rid of the problem, Claudius banned all marriages and engagements in Rome. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret.

When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Valentine was arrested and dragged before the Prefect of Rome, who condemned him to be beaten to death with clubs and to have his head cut off. The sentence was carried out on February 14, on or about the year 270.

Legend also has it that while in jail, St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine."

For his great service, Valentine was named a saint after his death.

In truth, the exact origins and identity of St. Valentine are unclear. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "At least three different Saint Valentines, all of them martyrs, are mentioned in the early martyrologies under the date of 14 February." One was a priest in Rome, the second one was a bishop of Interamna (now Terni, Italy) and the third St. Valentine was a martyr in the Roman province of Africa.

Legends vary on how the martyr's name became connected with romance. The date of his death may have become mingled with the Feast of Lupercalia, a pagan festival of love. On these occasions, the names of young women were placed in a box, from which they were drawn by the men as chance directed. In 496 AD, Pope Gelasius decided to put an end to the Feast of Lupercalia, and he declared that February 14 be celebrated as St Valentine's Day.

Gradually, February 14 became a date for exchanging love messages, poems and simple gifts such as flowers.​

I like hearing about the plans people have for valentine's day, partially because it's not something we typically do. Our gestures of love come organically, (don't misread that) and spontaneously on our terms. I don't like indulging in chopped flowers and gifts just because some retailers want to profit from it. Sometimes we've partaken of this but only because it was what we wanted to do at the time.

I just want to spend the evening with my husband, at home, with the moody red christmas lights, many candles, music, drinks, food, and stuff. :)

</cheese>

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you really want to cook a meal, do it at home. Trying to do it in a hotel room will end in frustration. Better yet, take him to a restaurant.

As for the rest of your question, I'm sure you'll manage to make the night special. Just use your imagination. :cool:

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Many years ago, for my first date with my wife, I went to her home and cooked dinner for her, but I took everything needed. And I mean everything: pots, pans, cutting board, candles, glasses... Fast forward 12+ years, and I'm happy to say that "it worked." ;)

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's something to be said for being an all-inclusive. well-prepared, package deal when it comes to preparing a meal. But one does have to make sure all the required appliances are there! :p

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Personally, I prefer the Chicago version of 1929 when the mob mowed down their opposites. It became the St Valentine's day massacre.

KGB:D

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Refreshingly blunt.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Me too.

Legend says those men forgot to purchase flowers and candy for their ladies.

You know what they say about a woman scorned....;)

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Of all the great massacres, it's probably my favourite.

16. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

Truer words were never written.

17. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Good food, good wine, maybe a good massage? I know people go insane trying to think of creative things, but sometimes it's the simple things that are the most enjoyable.

Classy. Also gross.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Gross? It may actually be beneficial in preventing pre-eclampsia

"Several other studies have since investigated the strongly decreased incidence of pre-eclampsia in women who had received blood transfusions from their partner, those with long, preceding histories of sex without barrier contraceptives, and in women who had been regularly performing oral sex,[53][54] with one study concluding "induction of allogeneic tolerance to the paternal human leukocyte antigen (HLA) molecules of the fetus may be crucial. Data collected strongly suggest that exposure, and especially oral exposure to soluble HLA from semen can lead to transplantation tolerance."[54]"

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Interesting....

In the Queen's case, you're speaking to the wrong demographic.

I can proudly say that I didn't get pre-eclampsia - and none of the above applies to me.

I wonder if this is a study some guy did to try and convince his wife/girlfriend that it was actually beneficial. :rolleyes:

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

stupidest holiday ever.

the only things this day does is make money for hallmark and flower companies and make single people hate their lives.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Vodka costs less
    Than dinner for two. ;)

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Time for me to get extra flowers.

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Well that didn't take long! LOL...... You could always give up the very taboo to some the ever popular backdoor.... :D