Valve Removes Game Purchasing Option From Steam Link in Hopes of App Store Approval

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A few weeks after Apple rejected Valve's planned Steam Link app due to App Store review guideline violations related to in-app purchases, among other things, the company has made a key change to the app in hopes of getting it approved.

[​IMG]

Namely, in the latest beta version of Steam Link on TestFlight, Valve has removed the option to purchase games within the app. Instead, the app now informs users that games are available to purchase on a PC, or Mac, according to Eli Hodapp, editor-in-chief of MacRumors sister website TouchArcade.
    Shortly after Steam Link was rejected, Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller explained that it had "discussed these issues with Valve" and would "continue to work with them to help bring the Steam experience to iOS and Apple TV in a way that complies with the store's guidelines," in an email shared by MacStories.

[​IMG]
    Steam Link app now says games are available to purchase on PC

Steam Link, unveiled early last month, will allow users to stream Steam games to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV from a Mac or PC via a 5GHz Wi-Fi network or a wired Ethernet connection. The app, originally set to launch May 21, will include support for both the Steam Controller and Made for iPhone controllers.

In his hands-on last month, Hodapp said the app works so well that "it feels like there's some kind of actual wizardry powering it all."
    Valve hasn't specified when it will resubmit Steam Link to Apple for reconsideration, and it remains to be seen if the change will satisfy Apple's guidelines, but it sounds like the app is one step closer to being released on the App Store.

Article Link: Valve Removes Game Purchasing Option From Steam Link in Hopes of App Store Approval

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

3. picciano macrumors member

Like it or not, Apple has been pretty clear about linking to non-apple-store purchases from inside an app. It's likely Valve knew better, but wanted to see if they could sneak it in.

4. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Steam users may .... just may still be able to figure out how to purchase software. But this is then a tool to view content not purchased on either App Store. I bet it gets denied.

5. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

I bet it does not, now it's in line with other options such as Amazon's apps.

6. Appleaker macrumors 68020

‘In hoped of’....
    No, that was the only issue and following cooperation with Apple, they worked to remove it.

And that ridiculously disconnected quote about people buying from Steam alone is absurd, it’s hard to understand why you would quote such unrealistic nonsense (not to say it wouldn’t happen, but it would be a very niche scenario in the grand scheme of things.

7. tha_man macrumors member

tha_man

So is every other remote desktop app. Or a browser, when surfing paysites. In a way even Bootcamp. It's understandable Apple didn't allow third party appstore inside an app, but that would be IMO very stupid reason to deny it.

8. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

This whole thing is a little surreal. I remember the federal case made out of Microsoft pre-installing Internet Explorer and not offering their competitors free internet browsers on their OS. The idea of the biggest computer company in the world selling billions of computers inviting everyone to write apps for them, but then specifically not allowing their competitors sell their games on it... how is this not a giant antitrust goldmine? But then maybe at this stage we're just past all notions of that. Amazon can sell Kindles where the only way to buy books is through them, your ISP can buy movie studios and decide the only way you can watch movies is if you watch their content and advertising. Everyones local news can be owned by a single political extremist filling it with his ideological propaganda. And on and on it goes. If the people allow it, they will have it.

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

But Netflix/Amazon/Google Play/Vudu are all apps that play content that you don't purchase from Apple. I'm pretty sure Apple will have to approve this, unless they object to something like the controller support (I think they support non-MFI controllers somehow.)

10. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

11. originalmagneto macrumors member

originalmagneto

me to!!!

12. ArtOfWarfare, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

But is there any logical reason for this?

You can have text telling users to go to your webstore.
    You can have a link that goes anywhere except to your webstore.
    You can have a button that initiates an In-App Purchase.

Why not just allow a link that goes to your webstore?

I'd try pushing further it further to see how absurd Apple will get with their rules, or if Apple will finally acknowledge how arbitrary and ridiculous the rules are. Have a button that copies a URL to your clipboard then opens up Safari to a page that tells you to tap on the address bar and hit the "paste and go" button.

You're not linking to your webstore. You're just seeking the most seamless purchasing experience for your user possible, without forcing them to use Apple's payment system, and without breaking Apple's dumb rules.

13. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

They can, in the App Store.

14. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

If you want to buy steam games you can just use.. the other steam iOS app. I buy a lot in that already. I’m.. Not sure how this is going to work out. I hope apple let it through anyway.

15. mrothroc macrumors newbie

The difference is pretty substantial. At the time, MS owned over 80% of the market for operating systems (they still do, in fact). They started giving away IE for free, pre-installed. PC manufacturers were required to bundle a Windows license into every purchase, whether the buyer wanted it or not. This looks a lot like a monopoly.

iPhones, by contrast, have about 15% of the global market. It's hard to argue that a company who has the #2 position in market share is a monopoly. Competition in the mobile phone space is fierce, and consumers have plenty of options.

16. Dethklok macrumors member

I don't know who's the biggest anti-consumer company right now when it comes to games. Apple or Sony.

17. bsolar macrumors 6502a

This case is a little more borderline though IMHO since the purchase is actually for software which runs on a Mac or PC, not on the iOS device itself. The iOS device alone is not even able to run the purchased software, the app is basically a glorified remote desktop application.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I buy bus/train passes inside of an app, it doesn’t look like Apple is getting a cut of these. It uses stored credit cards rather than Apple Pay.

Uber and Lyft are also inside of an app.

I don’t see how this is any different.

19. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

The 30% fee applies only to content and features that are delivered as an in-app purchase

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would say Apple is more limited, but it when it comes to games, Sony tends to have a lot more exclusive titles, which may or may not be a benefit to the gamer. But I also like a lot of Sony’s exclusive titles that they offer.

21. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Hurrah. I put the Apple TV 4 on hold until this app was launched

22. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Hopefully it gets approved now. I highly doubt Valve would ever approve of an app on Steam that allows you to buy games from a competing store.

23. Khedron macrumors regular

Apple should instantly reject Steam after their recent press release where they actively refuse to deal with offensive content since it means they will inevitably be in violation of Apple's standards.

Would Apple allow racist/homophobic content on the App Store? If not why should they allow Steam to advertise that content via the App Store?

24. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Apple made it clear with Amazon despite their protest. Not sure of any online company would have more clout than them in that field.

25. bsolar macrumors 6502a

Sony prohibits multiplayer with other consoles. There is no technical reason to do that and some games actually had cross-console multiplayer enabled "by accident" before it got blocked: it's entirely an anti-competitive measure.