Vampire drain from MyWi 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jp700p, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

Ever since buying MyWi 4.0, I sense my iPhone 4's battery life is slightly worse even when i'm not using MyWi. I made sure MyWi is not in the background, and before I end the program, I make sure its off in the settings.

Hows your experience been?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

My Battery is beter than stock mostly due to the fact that I now keep wifi off since i can enable quick using SBS.

SBS also show me what process are running so from time to time I go in here and kill Mail or safari if they are running.

I got about 15% improvement on my battery life

3. GunBlazerX macrumors member

I haven't really quite used mywi at all since I got my iPhone 4 however, I can say from much experience in the past when I use it on my iphone 3g (used mywi 4.0 as well) that mywi will drain the battery quickly even when you make sure you disabled everything and turn off your phone's wifi. I always had to do a hard phone reboot to get my battery drain normal after a wifi tethering session.

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Also seeing a good jump in battery life. I unplugged @100% last night, woke up this morning with WiFi still on and Twitter/Facebook backgrounding and had 98% left (8 hours standby time).

5. jdean23 macrumors member

My battery is extremely worse...WOnder should i just uninstall ?

6. GunBlazerX macrumors member

You shouldn't uninstall, its a very useful app. Just go sbsettings->power->reboot after usage and you will be fine until the next time you use it.

7. Advil macrumors 6502a

I wonder if it's because of Rock. I hate that stupid app and there's no MyWi 4 with no Rock :(

8. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

There is a way, google it cause I probably can't say more.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

don't waste your time, stay away from cracked apps. Developer already announced they are working on a non-rock dependent update.

10. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

lol.... wifi uses less power than 3G... and when you're not using wifi, it's not draining battery. wifi signal only has to travel to your router, small power output. 3G needs to transmit 5W to a cell tower.

Mail and safari are native iphone apps.. they'll keep coming back.

also, programs can run as system processes and not appear in the sbsettings programs list.

i think all of your precautions are having a placebo effect on the battery and thinking it's better.

battery usage is still good for me, but it's not better, lol

11. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

How could you blame Rock? Rock is an app store that is only running when you have it open............................ ???

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am familiar with what you said, but believe me or not (even when you find it funny) it is not placebo, before jailbreaking i was keeping a spreadsheet because my battery life was horrible after 4.0.1 I was trying to track the issue. With normal usage I would get home and charge my phone every night and the battery was at around 25% to 30% ... last 3 days my battery have been around %40 to %50.

My usage haven;t change, same amount of emails and such, if any I've been using it more playing around with the JBs.

but anyway that is what I am experiencing i never said it like it was a fact.

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I dno if its mywi or not but since I jailbroke my battery has decreased a little. I have all the same options/setting, actually even better since I now toggle wifi/3g on and off when Im not using them to save battery now that I have SBsettings. I used to go to bed and wake up with about 4-5% gone overnight. Last night I went to bed with 80% and woke up with 70%. No apps were running in the background, wifi was on and 3g was off.

Any ideas?

14. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

list the cydia/rock apps that you've downloaded since jailbreak

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Wow:eek:.. This is an iPhone4 not a bag phone from the 80's (which usually went to a max of 3W, only a few hit 5W, the car phones would usually hit 5W though). You will get 500mW at best out of any of the cell in this day and age.

16. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Just SBsettings, MyWi, and BiteSMS.

17. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

MyWi wasn't running? Did you reboot since installation those apps?

18. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

It was definitely was not running and ive rebooted a few times since installing it

19. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

its just weird cuz now im leaving 3g off overnight I should be having better battery results and im having worse.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I restored my 3GS after battery drain. I'm about to do the same with my iPhone 4. The 4 has been sitting here doing nothing and it drained 5% after one hour. I'm not sure if I can blame MyWi or Rock though we all seem to have that in common here.

21. lnferno macrumors 6502

Same here. I have MyWi, Rock, and My3G installed and have had quite a hit in battery life. I don't have MyWi running most of the time, so I'm not sure what it is that's draining my batter faster than usual. Maybe it's just something that goes with the territory so-to-speak with jailbreaking?

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So on my iPhone 4 that is jailbroken, after 7 hours, it's at 78%, a bit low for what it would normally be at this time of the night for my usage. I removed all Cydia apps and mods and just left the phone with the Jailbreak only.

I also took the 3GS that I restored above and made a few phone calls on it. It's battery is at 94%.

I'm Going to restore my other 3GS now that is also jailbroken and do a fresh install and jailbreak it with nothing else in Cydia installed and see how that goes over night. If it seems normal, I'll add MyWi and Rock back first and see how the battery goes on that and so on.

I'm thinking it's the jailbreak itself draining the battery a bit faster than normal.

23. lnferno macrumors 6502

Update:

I restored my phone back to how it was before I jailbroke it. I jailbroke it again and this time only added MyWi (and RockApp) and nothing else and now my battery life is back to normal.

The other things I had on there before were "nice-to-haves" that I can live without -- MyWi was the only app I really wanted, so I think I'm just going to leave my phone alone now in terms of JB apps.

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Based on your earlier list, My3G was the culprit?

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've done exactly the same thing. Restored as a new phone, jailbroke, installed Rock and MyWi and now I have normal battery life once again.

I can't say that My3G was a problem because I never had it installed. I do have 3G unrestrictor. That was never a problem for me.