Vanity Plates?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by taylorwilsdon, Oct 26, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Wondering if anyone has put "personalized" (vanity) plates on their car.

My birthday is July 7th (7/7) and I thought it would be cool to get 7SEVEN as my license plate. If its really only $50, I think that would be an okay deal.

How long does the process take? I've got a new car (registration isn't even finished) so I'm guessing I'd have to wait until the reg is in my name before I order new plates.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

i had custom plates a number of years ago. i got regular plates and then it took about 8 weeks for the customs to come in.

and, unrelated, we have the same birthday.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I don't really see the point of vanity plates, but if I were to get some I would follow the state format but make a few tweaks, i.e. 101-WTF. I think that they're a bit too pompous, but that could just be me.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've always wanted the plate: 3M-TA3

But my state will not allow it. :(

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I posted this a while back in another thread:

Some states might not, like Massachusetts, allow a vanity plate to start with a number, or intermix letters and numbers. In Mass, you can do something like "AA 1234" but not "A 1234." Be sure to inquire about this... Your state's DMV / RMV website should have that information.

D'oh: Look here, they even used my "A 1234" example. Heh.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Every vehicle my family owns has vanity plates on it. They start with our initials and then some sequence of numbers that means something to us.

I much prefer the vanity plates, there is something about having them, but to each there own.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I want to get OMGWTF but I don't think that will get past the DMV

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

my parents have had BRN2SKI for as long as I can remember...

you never know, give it a try....

either its already taken in Maine or not allowed:

"Sorry, Plate Number: OMGWTF with class code Passenger (Passenger) is unavailable. Please try another selection."

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wanted O0OO0C0

so that it's difficult for others to read my plate after I get into my getaway car and flee the scene of a crime......for example.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is that $50 per year, or do you pay $50 to get the plates and a smaller extra amount each year to renew personalized plates?

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Old friend of mine worked with a guy who has a plate that says "D-SHIZT". They changed their mind a short time later and told him he could keep it but couldn't run it on his car.

Or illinois. was there yesterday and about every other car was a personalized plate.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never much cared for them, but to each his own.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I never liked vanity plates. The way I drive, it's too easy for people/cops to identify my car. :D

16. Queso macrumors G4

I once saw H1OAG on a big jet black Kawasaki ZZR-1100. I was seriously jealous :)

Would I get a personalised plate? Probably not, but some of them can be quite cool.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I might give it a shot. There are a couple others I have in mind too. Missouri is limited with 6 letters though, I wish they allowed 7 or 8 like some other states

I'm pretty sure, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Illinois gives out free personalized plates which explains why they're so common

18. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

[​IMG]

As I drive a Golden Eagle Jeep Wrangler, I prefer the eagle Wildlife plate.

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

All this depends on the state.

In Illinois for example, there's a difference between Issues, Personalized and Vanity plates. There's a slew of specialty plates too, but let's not talk about them.

In Illinois, a personalized and Issued plates are have to be letters first, than numbers, no mixing. Further defined that Issued are, well, issued by the state, whereas personalized are chosen by you.

I had a personalized plate years ago, it was PATMAN9 (Ironically, I was able to later get the same plate in CA when I lived there). At the time it was an $85 one-time fee added to original registration, standard annual renewal rates from then on.

The moment you ask for a plate that breaks this number-letter rule, you enter vanity plate land. You still cant mix them together, so we're talking all letter or all number. I got my Vanity plate and it was cheaper than the Personalized I got years ago I think it was $65, then regular annual renewal.

So it's possible that personalized are veeery cheap - or even free.

I'm thinking this is possible because of the really huge number of specialty plates like Peace, State Bird, Veteran, etc which are very very expensive.

So now I have LIC PLT

I can't believe nobody else in the entire state of how many millions of folks didn't think of it first.

20. lwood1 macrumors 6502

21. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I have vanity plates (for NYS) and the initial cost to print it, cost $50.. But every year I pay between 50-100 for special plate renewal. And it took, between 4-8 weeks to get my plates.

22. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't know about the price, but we do have the same birthday. Personally, I think vanity plates are tacky.

Don

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not personalized, but...

(and this is a motorcycle plate, btw)

Attached Files:

24. iowamensan macrumors 6502

You never know... I took this picture this summer:

Attached Files: