VAT off iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GDC15, Feb 20, 2011.

1. GDC15 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I want to buy an iMac for my work so I believe Im entitled to get the VAT off it. Obviously I want to order it from apple, how do I get the VAT off when ordering? and what do I need to click on when doing the ordering process on their website?
    Thanks

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

You are only entitled to get the VAT off if you are VAT registered. If you are buying from a UK company you are unlikely to get it at source (very unlikely from Apple looking at the sales policies below), but if from another EU company you often can, although you have to include the figure on your VAT return.

http://store.apple.com/uk-business

http://storeimages.apple.com/1501/store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_smb.html

3. Phayz macrumors member

Dixons Duty Free? I know they sell MacBooks, not sure about iMacs

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If you are buy it within the UK you must pay VAT. No-one is entitled to get the VAT "off" - in fact Apple would be breaking the law if they sold it to you without VAT. If you (personally) or your company (if you are a director) are VAT registered then you can claim back the amount when you complete your return at the end of your tax year. If you are merely an employee you are out of luck unless your employer buys the computer for you.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You always pay the VAT. Then when you fill in your tax forms saying how much VAT people paid to you, you will then be able to deduct any VAT that you paid out. If nobody pays VAT to you, then you cannot deduct VAT.

6. GDC15 thread starter macrumors newbie