VAT Rate Change Question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dannyboxer, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hello everyone! I've just bought an iMac!

Anyway, I've got a question about the VAT rate change happening in the UK on Monday. On the iMac page it says under the "Learn more about the VAT rate change" link that
    Well, I didn't order my iMac on the one-day shopping event, I ordered it today, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

But, seeing as I have already paid for the iMac, how will I get the money back from the VAT savings? Will they send me a check with my iMac?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It is very cleverly worded - it does not actually say that the price will be lower - or just stay the same. Apple prices on their website (and invoices) are shown both ex-VAT and including VAT.

We are not going to find out till Monday but I hope that Apple's prices will come down as a result of the 15% VAT rate.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

You'll pay the current rate at time of purchase i.e. 17.5%. So even if they do drop the price, which I doubt, there'll be no refund.

4. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Have you even read this?

5. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

You'll receive the benefit of the lower VAT rate--how depends on how you paid. If by credit card or bank transfer, they'll likely just issue a credit to your account. If by check, you'll probably get a refund check. When in doubt, just call customer service and ask.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

No, I missed that.

I will wait and see if there are any actual reductions.

7. RosieKins macrumors newbie

Apple don't charge your card until the order ships, so they'll deduct the changed rate accordingly, rather than a separate crediting.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The rate at which you will be charged VAT depends on the tax-point. In the UK this is always the earliest of :

1 Payment (when your credit card is billed)
    2 Supply of the goods - when you receive the goods
    3 The invoice date

Apple do not charge your credit card until the date of despatch...

So if you order today (30 November - 17.5% VAT) and not shipped (and credit card charged) until tomorrow (1 December - 15% VAT) then you will be charged 15% VAT.....

Simple really.........if you are an accountant !!!

9. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the prices on the Apple website are lower now :)

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

and I am very surprised that they have even rounded the prices down to the nearest pound.....

13. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Just got an email saying I won't get the VAT money back. I ordered through a debit card which is charged strait away. :(

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you ordered before Monday, the advertised price was including 17.5% VAT. The price you would be charged would be including 15% VAT, so you would be charged less than advertised.

If you ordered on Monday, then the advertised price includes 15% VAT, so you will be charged exactly what it says on the Website. I checked the cheapest MacBook; its price has gone down from £719 to £704.