VBulletin Version Updates & Busy Forums Like This One

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 2, 2009.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I noticed that we're still behind on VBulletin versions, but I'm assuming that's because of the sheer volume of posts this forum deals with on a daily basis. With that in mind... what's the best patching policy to use on a forum like this?

Try your best to keep up to date with every little point release?
    Patch only on X.Y updates?
    Patch only for major X updates?
    Something else I haven't thought of?

I ask because I could see myself running a forum as big as this one eventually - not on the topic of Mac Rumors though :p

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AFAIK we are on the most recent 3.6.x release; a lot of large forums are on this version.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The latest release version is 3.8.3 and we are on 3.6.10. I believe they have a 4.0 beta.

In general, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I'm guessing that security patches are applied but if 3.8.3 only adds extra functionality that we wouldn't be turning on then there is no sense in upgrading.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Basically, we patch when we get around to it. :)

Seriously, upgrading is a bit of a hassle on a forum as large and as active as ours. It means some downtime, checking to make sure our hacks continue to work, etc. So for those reasons, we don't update every time a new vBulletin minor point release comes out. We also prefer to wait a bit after a new release in order to let other sites be the ones to test things out.

It also depends on what else is going on...events like WWDC and iPhone launches are obviously not good times to take on such tasks, both in case something goes wrong and we have more downtime than we'd like and because we're usually quite busy with other stuff at those times.

That said, we know we haven't updated in a while, and it's on our list. :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Though, I'm surprised MR hasn't gotten rid of the vB copyright… I even do it. :p

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's good to give credit where credit is due.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well of course I meant after paying the "copyright removal" fee.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

But it is just small text at the bottom of the page. Is it really worth it? Even without seeing that I can tell right away if a forum is using vBulletin.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

upgrading vbulletin always introduces potential issues.

The main thing that kept me from updating was that we use a custom search engine. So, upgrading isn't as simple as just updating a few templates. We have to make sure that the search system can upgrade too. As well as making sure other hacks we have work.

Upgrading modifications and templates can take some time. And the search is even more daunting a task.

arn

10. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks arn! I knew we'd customized things here a bit... but I didn't realize it was that complex a job.

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Do you not have a development server to test out these issues? Though it may sound like a daft question i have seen many even rather tech savvy web masters roll out major updates without first testing them to a check list of some sort on a dedicated development server.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, we do have a test server. It doesn't, however, have things set up exactly the way things are here, so there can be surprises.

But it does give us a place to play around with things.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for the update arn
    Many have requested integration of E's MRoogle interface for search here instead of the vBulletin search
    Would that make the transition easier, or would it not apply at all?
    I know there hasn't really been an appetite to incorporate it, for whatever reasons (I am sure you have them)
    But just curious as to what role MRoogle may or may not play in this

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I didn't even know we had a custom search, I just assumed what was there was the default. Apparently not!

But, there are some forums that google/mroogle cannot see which need to be searched too. I don't know that there is opposition into having a better google or mroogle integrated. It would take all search load off MacRumors (or most all).

15. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I would have a few exact clones, update them and then see how you can break the it. No point having a test server if it cant match the live server as closely as possible.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am sure there are reasons why this is not practical in the case of MR

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we can have a test server... it still doesn't get around the fact that we have to sit down and make it work :)

arn

18. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

19. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

It's a long, tedious process.

1) Upgrade server A
    2) Upgrade server B