Vegan wants to buff up.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I recently got a job at Hollister, but I'd really like to gain some weight so i can fill out their clothing better. Currently waist wise I'm pretty thin, but I'm also super tall so I can never get a good fitting pair of jeans.

Anyone know the best way to bulk up without the consumption of any animal products?

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

3. alFR macrumors 68020

<matrix>
    "So, what do you need?"
    "Soy. Lots of soy."
    </matrix>

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

For buffing I general like to use a fluffy attachment for my power drill. You put on the polish, wipe it off then buff the crap out of it till it shines like the sun.

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

made me rofl. get some of those protein shakes that you can put water in or something

6. Lau Guest

Whey protein isn't vegan, because it is made from teh cows.

7. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Yea I went to a vitamin store yesterday and everything had milk in it. Everything. Soy protein is great, but I haven't seen any soy protein shakes.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

eat a lot of nuts (non roasted), peanut butter, flaxseed oil and fruit and go to the gym and do free weights at least twice a week.

9. bbbensen macrumors 6502

If your "slim", you could probably fit in Hollister clothes... They run quite small compared to other companies.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

11. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was slim before going vegetarian. Then I lost 10 pounds of healthy weight going vegetarian. Now I'm just really really really really really skinny from going vegan. But what makes finding a good fit even worse is how tall I am. I'm 6'4" and it's extremely hard to find a 29 W 34-36 L.

That looks really awesome. I'm really going to buy some of that if I can find it. If now I will import from Canada. Thanks!

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The key to any weight gain, whether you're vegan like us or not, is to take in more calories than you can burn. No supplement, powder or vitamin will allow you to put on weight unless you are exceeding your body's caloric needs.

The easiest way to gain weight is to start a food log. You can do this online at nutridiary.com or a similar site. Record what you eat for a week, and then add 500 calories per day to that, and you'll gain weight at the rate of roughly one pound per week.

Unless you're training hard, protein powders and creatine (FYI, creatine monohydrate is the only vegan form of creatine) aren't going to do much. Protein helps repair muscle damage, and creatine improves muscle endurance. Neither of these are a magic-pill, and they both require you to eat the right amount of food.

Someone already linked Vega, which is essentially a protein/nutrient powder for making shakes. Vega was designed by Brendan Brazier, a vegan professional athlete. I've met Brendan in person, and while he's not a very big guy at all, he's a very powerful man. He's also written a book. I'd suggest Vega more for people who are already pleased with their size and are looking to get into better shape.

Charlie is a raw vegan bodybuilder in Hawaii. He has a book available on his website in PDF form for $10. The book is a great investment. He also has information on his website including what and how much he eats; he eats nearly 3600 calories a day, but only around 80 grams of protein.

There's also Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness, which is an online community for vegan bodybuilding, including dietary info.

The biggest thing to take away from all this is: you are what you eat. If you want to get big, you have to eat big.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh crap. That won't be do-able. Usually, you can get a 30" waist, 32" length, no?

You don't need to buy their jeans. Nobody can tell. However, you'll have to fit their shirts.

That's your diet from now on: Peanut butter by the spoonful, and lots of nuts.

14. Azmordean macrumors 6502

No, no, no! Can I say no again? Soy protein is fine in small amounts, but in large amounts it is known to cause problems, especially in men. Namely, it increases estrogen levels, which is not a good thing for any man, and is especially not good for building muscles. Do some research on soy - its okay for some of it to be in your diet, but it should NOT be your major source of protein.

To the OP - getting buff as a vegan is frankly very difficult to do. Heck, its hard enough for us animal-eaters! You need to get lots of protein (OTHER than soy) - whether that come from nuts or other sources is your choice. Mainly, I'd try to achieve a calorie surplus, and lift at least twice a week. And if you do cardio, you need to stop doing it, OR increase your calories even more to compensate for it.

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I work out a few times a week, and it's taken me literally years to find the workout that works the best. There are several different types of work outs (slow reps, reps to failure, blah blah).

The think the most important thing is consistency. Find a workout and stick with it! Keep a journal, that will help you in goal setting or measuring progress.

- Don't ever over do your workout.
    - Give your body a break in between workouts; 48 hours is optimal.
    - Stay well-hydrated.
    - Try out Creatine and Protein stuff, and watch your diet very carefully.
    - Keep it up. It takes lots of hard work to get going, and in about two months, you lose interest a bit so keep at it no matter what. Think of it as a way of life, to a degree.
    - Don't get all narcissistic about it.

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I challenge anyone to name a single vegan bodybuilder. OP, my friend, you are in for quite a challenge... I wish you luck.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Especially for someone of your build. You're going to need something animal-based most likely, even if it's just whey protein. That might be your best compromise.

Though this is good advice- probably the best you're going to find for vegans.

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

5'8", here... 35W, 29L... but then again I am a second-hand vegetarian - I only eat animals that eat vegetables. ;)

19. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I don't know why anyone has said this... Beer and Fries! You have very little fat in your diet I am sure. So increase your intake of all carbs. Sugar, bread, beer. Put non-animal fat on everything. Olive Oil, Vegtable oil etc. Deep Fry everything. If you did nothing but drink Guinness and ate french fries for a few weeks, I suspect you would put it on quick. Its the standard college diet.

20. thecritix macrumors 6502

because we're trying to help him gain weight.. not a coronary.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sure you're joking. :) In any case, OP- don't do this. ;)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

23. idyll macrumors 6502

If you are a guy, I wouldn't consume substantial quantities of soy, as it does have estrogen. Every now and then it is fine, but you might experience some unwanted effects if you have it very frequently.

My significant other has been trying to convince me to go vegan, but since I enjoy working out so much I am afraid my food choices won't be as easy. Being able to consume chicken, steak, eggs, etc. for protein is almost too easy.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True- I notice if I have too much soy/tofu, I get lethargic. I do like the stuff though. But it's not good for guys to have too much of it.