Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
What vehicle mounts are you guys using? I don't like the suction cup variety. Id prefer either a cup mount or cd slot mount for my truck. Any good ones you guys recommend?

Reactions: gren_patterson

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I know these are neither, but the only one I've used for the last few years is the Kenu Airframe+. Fantastic thing, no additional attachments required. It just sticks into one of your air vents and that's it.
I was about to post the same. ^ that ! :)

Ryxmd

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
I know these are neither, but the only one I've used for the last few years is the Kenu Airframe+. Fantastic thing, no additional attachments required. It just sticks into one of your air vents and that's it.

I just started using this also. Great vent mount.

Krabba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA

Yep, this. ^

Used a regular Airframe for a couple years with my 6 and just went to the Airframe+ with my 7 Plus. Best solution out there (to hold the phone vertically or horizontally) for "quick & easy" in my opinion. It also "travels" well if you switch vehicles at all.

6707c1a8b83e97b09e4b2389a42c7b96.png

c0511832be55b3cb259676721c159bd0.png

5f3b5f8264f73513606b6dfb4a7666a1.png

Reactions: ultra7k

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Should also mention the Airframe holds your phone very securely. In all the years I've had the Airframe, (2 or 3 years now?) it's never once fallen off the vent or dropped the phone.

As mentioned above, if you have a Plus, go with the Airframe+ as the older ones aren't made to hold such big phones.

You might have to press it into the vent from time to time, but that's a minor issue. Be aware of Chinese replicas/knockoffs as I've heard these tend to lose tensile strength over time.

Reactions: Ntombi and Krabba

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Using the Brodit Proclip and I love it. No more faffing around with sticking magnetic mounts and metal plates on my phone and it's VERY secure. Bit of a hassle finding the right bracket and holder for your car and very expensive, but there are loads of options for ideally mounting your phone depending on your make/model of car.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I'll second the proclip, I have one and got one for my wife. It's on the high end of expensive but worth every penny IMO. They have mounts specific to your car model and it's the only mount I've used that I can both place the phone and take it out with one hand.

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Wow thanks for all the great replies. The proclip looks interesting. The Airframe looks super simple the only thing that has me iffy on that is clipping it to my air vent. Not sure if i want to put that stress on one of my air vent louvers. I plan on having this truck a very long time and would hate myself if it broke my vent some how.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Wow thanks for all the great replies. The proclip looks interesting. The Airframe looks super simple the only thing that has me iffy on that is clipping it to my air vent. Not sure if i want to put that stress on one of my air vent louvers. I plan on having this truck a very long time and would hate myself if it broke my vent some how.

I think the chances of breaking a vent louver is near zero. Like I mentioned earlier the biggest issue with vent mounts is one that is sturdy, I am sure some exist. I haven't tried the vent mounts mentioned here in this thread.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012

Honestly I think there is very little chance of breaking the vent, and I've been using one in my 2004 mazda.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom

Ditto!
Best accessory out there for cars! Especially BMWs!

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami

Yep been using the exact one for years. It's awesome.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Thinking about trying this mount.

There isn't much real estate on my car dashboard and if I use one of those cd mounts then my phone will block the back up camera view.

Only concern is when it's cold and heat is blasting right at the phone

91iLbUuaZRL._SX522_-2.jpg

Reactions: EnderBeta

Ryxmd

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Which mount is this? The only reason by I got the Airframe+ is because I wanted to move away from the magnet ones.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I use a proclip bracket, to create a nice flat surface in my car, and I glued this mount to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MLZZ7KA/

I like it because it holds the phone vertically, which is better for music and fine for maps, and also charges your phone. It is a bit difficult to use in the dark though...

613TXbTo6bL._SL1000_.jpg

I use a similar setup except I use a magnetic mount and just plug it in from the bottom.

Only issue is that the 3m adhesive is starting to wear off.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I use a similar setup except I use a magnetic mount and just plug it in from the bottom.

Only issue is that the 3m adhesive is starting to wear off.

I know this is hugely nitpicky, but my goal was finding a one-handed solution that both charged and held the phone. Plugging in a loose cable isn't one-handed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.