Verdict on 10.9.2: Get it or stick with 10.9.1?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kathyricks, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Does 10.9.2 solve more problems than it creates or vice versa? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Ever since I updated my 2012 13.3" rMBP I have this very annoying issue where it disconnects from the WiFi network when it goes to sleep. When I wake it, it doesn't reconnect. I have to shut off WiFi. Give it a minute, and then reconnect. So freaking annoying.

3. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Nothing overwhelming but 10.92 has been smooth and glitch free on my Mini i7 and iMac i5. Basically the same as 10.91 but without server dropouts in mail and improved FW function (will sleep with system or if ejected).

4. twintin macrumors 6502

I'm still in an evaluate phase, but so far so good. But then unlike others I did not have many issues in 10.9.1 either, so who knows.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

Haven't use it for long, but at least i don't get "beach-balls" anymore in Imap Gmail checking...

Well, it at their minimal... Apple's done good so far.

I'd say if nothing at all the SSL fix is one, over and above anything that you should update alone for.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Strange....I have the exact opposite....Before the upgrade my rMBP would drop wifi a lot...now it's rock solid.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not noticed any glaring issues with 10.9.2 so I'd say take the plunge.

8. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I say yes. 10.9.2 works better for me. I like it.

9. TerenceW macrumors member

10. olegunnar macrumors member

10.9.2 just gave me the only kernel panic I've had on my 2012 mac mini.

I guess I was pushing the system, trying to select a mailbox in mail.app ...

I'll call it a fluke for now.

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I've been running 10.9.2 for a while and it feels smoother to me. I didn't have any problems with 10.9.1, but 10.9.2 is an improvement (security, mail, graphics are smoother for me).

Make a TimeMachine back up of your current system, then upgrade to 10.9.2 and test for a while. If you don't like it then downgrade using your Time Machine backup.

12. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

When i had Mavericks my time machine Drive and other external drives would disconnect themselves for no reason and especially during sleep. Did 10.9.2 fix that? I downgraded to 10.8.5 and did not want to go back to Mavericks until they fixed that. I don't see that in the updated notes..

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

14. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

In my case I am not at 10.9.1 so that is not a issue with me since I am at 10.8.5.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Been a revelation on my old 2008 MacBook.

Feels much smoother, more responsive and has been totally stable.

16. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

Mavericks 10.9.2 has been a smooth experience for me - no issues. :D

Late 2012 iMac
    24 GB RAM

17. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

10.9.2 is worth it, if only to eliminate Software Update's nag screen.
    Haven't noticed any performance differences, from 10.9.1->10.9.2.
    However, when 10.9.2->10.9.3 goes sour, I'll know which fractional update did it to me. If you stick with 10.9.0 until 10.9.5 comes out, and then have problems, you'll have to search all the threads for all the versions in between to find out the origin of your troubles. It's far easier to just keep up to date, and fix as needed.

18. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

IMO it still has issues. Specifically Mail. If you receive an email, and read it, the mail indicator still shows it as unread. If you right click, the option is to change to unread, even though it's shown that way. If you click on a different option, say go to Sent Mail, or something else, and then back to the inbox, it takes the indicator off as being read.

Not sure what has happened to the Apple QA dept. but I feel they're not what they used to be. The release notes state a number of fixes to Mail, but they're still present. Also, the sync to Exchange is still slow, buggy, and malfunctioning. I've done a mailbox rebuild, taken offline/online, removed/readded the account. Same results.

19. Gunlance macrumors newbie

10.9.2 was the start of all of my MBP woes:
    1) 10.9.2 doesn't display the native resolution of my dell U2711 monitor. Google around and you'll find that this is a common occurrence. It is specifically the 10.9.2 update as I went through a battery of tests with Applecare regarding the issue.
    2) Due to the testing for the issues above, my GPU has decided to give up the ghost.

Now my machine is at applecare awaiting a new logic board. Yes the GPU issue was a ticking time bomb but it was not showing any issue prior to the update. The update was the "straw that broke the camels back" in essence.

Should you upgrade? Probably. Just be wary and have a timemachine backup ready. Just in case.

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For me as well. Seems to have fixed an iCloud Helper problem that showed up occasionally--but since it was an infrequent issue caused by corrupted cache, it may show up again. Also seems to have fixed a QTKitServer problem--where it would hang. No issues with mail for me. Spotify Helper still hangs but that is most likely a problem they need to fix.

21. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

So far, 10.9.2 is running great on all of my family's machines. It has resolved the black screen of death on my wife's MacBook Air, Quicklook is now Quick again, I haven't had any issues...

So far, I am happy!

22. mapsgal macrumors newbie

Serious wifi issue with 10.9.2 upgrade :(

Guess I am one of those folks that is going to have to time machine back.
    Its been a week since I abandoned my main computer (iMac) because of wifi issues so serious that when its on it effects all the other computers in the house by turning the internet off and on every 5 secs or so :mad:
    I didn't have any wifi issues until this upgrade. I have so much work that I haven't been able to take the time out to do the time-machine return. For now, I work on my daughter's macbook Pro because she never updates ;)

23. twintin macrumors 6502

24. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I'm running Late 2013 13" rMBP and I haven't had issues with any version of Mavericks so far.

Seeing that most people with issues are using older machines than the newest.. I'm kind of worried about future update to 10.10. :confused:

25. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I seemed to have experienced this forever, but its very intermittent. Annoying problem that doesn't seem to get fully fixed. Currently using 10.9.3 13D61 and the problem continues. Apart from this wifi issues, everything else runs fine on my MBP.