Verizon $200 trade-in program - What's the catch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacVault, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

What's the catch? Why would Verizon give me $200 for my iPhone 4 when the rest of the world values it at only about $60? And is this deal good when buying the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, or is it valid ONLY for iPhone 6 16GB?

2. robo74 macrumors 6502

there was no catch for me.

I went in, found out they had iPhones available, inquired about the trade in program.
    They inspected, shut off find my phone, reset passcode, I requested they wiped it as I watched.
    I activated my new phone, they were going to give me $200 on account credit but I requested that they take it off my current purchase and they did.
    I paid difference for new iphone along with fee and tax.

I will also add I was up for contract renewal, and I did just that.

Easy stuff right there, need to take my wife's phone in next.

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It's a $200 credit towards whatever model iPhone 6 you want.

4. fort macrumors member

The catch is you buy a new, more expensive phone, and re-sign a contract or lengthen your relationship with them. No real catch, just normal stuff.

5. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

It's an amazing deal for anyone but those who own a 5S. Those can be sold for more, otherwise, you are doing yourself a favor as long as you plan to stick with Verizon. Pretty awesome promotion if I do say so myself.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

The catch is you're under contract with them for two more years. But if you were going to do that anyway and you have an iphone 4 laying around it's a great deal. I just did it today and I didnt even buy my iPhone 6 Plus directly from Verizon, lots of missinformation going around that you have to order the phone from verizon to qualify.

7. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

If I currently have an Unlimited Data plan and want to keep it without signing new tiered plan, do they offer any trade-in towards full-price purchase?

8. GDF macrumors regular

So to get the 200 credit, you have to sign contract? I did not see that in the fine print anywhere. I am not on a contract and paying for my iPhone up front and was going to continue to go month to month.

9. scubacat macrumors member

I just did it today in the store and it was really easy. The employee didn't even inspect my phone other than to make sure it had been erased, then I got a $200 gift card which I immediately applied to my bill. He said you can buy your iphone 6 from any store (doesn't have to be through Verizon) as long as you bring the new phone in to prove you got an iphone 6. It looks like you can get the deal by paying full price.

From Verizon's FAQ:
    "You will receive a $200 VZW Trade-in Gift Card when you trade in your old iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, or iPhone 5c, and purchase a new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with a new Verizon Edge agreement, 2 year contract, or when you pay full retail price.

You will receive a $300 VZW Trade-in Gift Card when you trade in your old iPhone 5s and purchase a new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with a new Verizon Edge agreement, 2 year contract, or when you pay full retail price.

You must submit your trade online between 9/12/14 & 9/30/14. You will receive shipping materials to mail your old device to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, but no later than 12/01/2014.

The Trade-In promotion is also available in Verizon Wireless Retail Stores from 9/12/14 thru 9/30/14."

10. groupersandwich, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Never mind. It's amazing the things you can find out when you bother to read the directions!

11. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

My 6 Plus arrived Friday. I preordered from Version (3:40 am on Friday 9/12). At the time of preorder, I didn't know about the promotion. I dropped off my 4S as the Verizon store today and got the $200 applied to by Verizon bill. So, can be done after the purchase as well.

Now I just need to figure out if it's worth it for my wife to trade in her 5S (purchased under contract....one year remaining). $300 is a tempting deal, but she would have to purchase full price 6 or 6 plus (maybe under Edge plan)

12. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

So if I already bought my phone (and have it) from Verizon but haven't traded in my phone yet can I still do it and get $200 added back to my card for what I paid towards my 6+ or will I just get $200 of credit and have to use it in the future.

13. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Yep!

14. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Has anyone who purchased their iPhone 6 from Apple not be able to receive the $200 trade in when they went in a store?

At this point, I thinking about canceling my iPhone 6 preorder from Verizon so I can trade my iPhone 4 before 9/30/14. I honestly dont trust their online trade in.

Plus my Apple store has the iPhone 6 that I want.

The thing is, I called my store and they said it needed to be bought from Verizon. I honestly don't think they'll deny me if I buy it from Apple especially since I'll be renewing my contract with them in the store.

15. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

The one catch is: Per the terms of the promotion, you must ship the phone (that you are trading) to Verizon within 7 days of receiving the 6 or 6 plus. The easiest way is to take it to any Verizon direct store and have them process the trade there. You'll get the gift card on the spot instead of having to wait weeks for it to be sent if you ship the phone back. I dropped by a Verizon store after work today....in and out in 10 minutes....$200 credit applied to my account....so no payment this month and i've got a negative balance to apply to next months bill.

Not sure if they can apply the $200 against the card you used to purchase the phone....I'm guessing not.

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Not quite true - you must submit the request for tradein by 9/30 as posted above.

17. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Well.....here is a quote directly from Verizon's trade-in page: So, I bought a 6 plus last Friday. The way I read it: I have 7 days to mail back the trade-in

"The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014."

18. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

My mom took advantage of this promo. She traded in her iPhone 4S for an iPhone 6. They took her old phone on the spot and gave her $200.00 off of her new purchase.

19. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It's really only an amazing deal for iPhone 4 owners. I sold an iPhone 5 for $330 bucks last week.

20. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

No catch, you just need to agree to a two year contract. I traded my 5 and got my 64gb Plus for 200 bucks :)

21. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

So if I got my 6+ on Friday do I still have until the 30th to bring my 4S into Verizon and get the credit or do I only have until this Friday?

22. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

That was my question exactly. When you read Verizon's terms (stated above), it's a bit ambiguous on this point. Seems like they wrote this under the assumption that people would follow one process: get a quote for trade in, accept the offer, have Verizon ship you the shipping package, order your phone, receive your new phone, ship the old phone back them within 7 days from the date your new phone arrived.

Well, you and I didn't follow that process. My phone arrived last Friday. The trade-in was an after-thought on my part. I played it safe and dropped by a Verizon store today (well before 7 days have passed since my phones arrival last Friday).....since the terms state the trade in must be shipped to Verizon within 7 days of receiving the iPhone 6!

23. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Has anyone been able to trade in their phone and put it towards a iphone 6 order? The store around me is sold out and the rep told me they cannot do this and that I would order it through him and ship in the phone to Verizon.

Pretty sure he's full of crap.

24. GDF macrumors regular

I don't think you have to agree to a two year contract in you pay full price for the iPhone 6/6 plus, as someone stated in one of the posts above.

25. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

Bummer, it drops to $40 if you are not buying a 6 and opt for a 5S instead :(