Verizon 4G LTE - Hotspot Capability

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ufgatorbait, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ufgatorbait macrumors newbie

For the data plan experts, can you provide feedback on the tethering capabilities of Verizon's plan?

There is a front page article on macrumors that Verizon's data plan is confirmed to include hotspot capabilities at no additional cost to the data plan. This to me seems like a major advantage over AT&T at the moment which hasn't given their ruling on hotspot capability.

My main questions are -

If I connect my iPhone via tethering from my iPad, does the usage from my iPhone eat into the 2GB allotment from the data plan?

Is anyone else going with Verizon based on the hotspot capability (even though AT&T gives 3GB vs. 2GB for $30 monthly)?

2. travistaylor macrumors regular

Yeah, any device you have connected to your Verizon iPad's hotspot will use the data plan from the iPad. So, if you have an iPhone that is connected to the hotspot on your iPad, it will use the iPads data plan.

3. Ariz macrumors member

Any data that goes though the cell phone data connection on the iPad will count towards your data usage on the iPad plan. So if you're surfing the net using a phone connected to the hotspot on the iPad you will be using data from the iPad plan.

I picked the Verizon model before I knew about the hotspot feature. Mainly because there are a couple of places I go where AT&T has bad connectivity.

4. simply stunning macrumors regular

Yes, when you tether the data plan eats through the allotment of that 2GB.

I had ordered a regular non LTE modle. Now with this announcement I think I will return it for the Verizon model. Between the tethering, and they have a 1GB option. Also, I was reading that each additional 1GB after your allotment is used up costs $10, even on the low 1GB plan.

Where as AT&T on the 250MB per month for $15. Then if you go over, it is another $15 for another 250MB. So you don't even get another GB for that $15!

So for me who will only use this on trips, the 1GB option is nice!

5. ufgatorbait thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you simply stunning, as I feel this capability is huge enough for me to go with the LTE iPad.

6. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

You might want to double check that. Verizon's website does not show any 1GB for $20 option for the new iPad. In fact, 3GB for $30 is the cheapest they show, and it goes up to 5GB for $50 and 10GB for $80. Be careful ordering one expecting 1GB for $20, as it may not truly be available (unless someone has confirmed otherwise). Also, I read that the Hotspot functionality has been conflicting, by two different Verizon sources, so that may or may not come to pass either.

7. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for the info, as Apple's website shows 1 GB for $20. Look at the pre- order page. I'm not surprised that both companies are a bit confused this early in the pre-sale. I canceled an order thinking I don't really need another idevice, but I liked to know whether Verizon is offering the $20 plan and if hot spotting is included. I'm going to call Verizon, to hear from the horses's mouth so to speak.

8. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Ok, just called Verizon directly (twice actually, just to confirm that I got the same story twice). I was told by both reps that the 1GB for $20 will be offered if you do the data plan as a Pre-paid account (meaning you pay up front with credit card). If you do post-paid (where they send you a bill each month), the 3GB for $30 is the lowest plan. As I would be only turning on the service when I occasionally need it, I would do Pre-paid anyways, so we should be good for the 1GB for $20.

With regards to confirming the free Hotspot tethering, I'm waiting on a call back from the rep, who had to double check on it. At first he didn't think so, but when I mentioned all the news stories on the web that are reporting that they would, he said he would go check with a few key marketing people and call me back. Stay tuned...

9. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

When did Verizon start offering 3GB for $30? I thought it was 2GB for $30?

So confused by all of this.....I know Apple must be hating having a device for each carrier.

10. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I called too and confirmed the pre paid/post paid info. But the Rep I spoke to said the current guidelines could change, as a deal could have been struck between the two companies. Also, the Rep I spoke to heard that Apple said hot spotting is included but wasn't sure whether it would be included in a plan free of charge. He asked for my phone number and I gave it to him. He said that he is working Monday and hopes to find out more by then, hence he will call me. These people at Verizon are tops in my book!

It appears that Verizon has their crap together since we confirmed pretty much the same thing from two different Reps. Most likely I will pre-order a Verizon iPad and go from there. One can always return it, as the extra cash is hard to justify if one does not use the service. It is a piece of mind if anything though. Stay tuned...... LOL

I wonder if AT&T breaks down and offers something for free? "that'll be the day" quoting the late Buddy Holly! He he

11. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry! My bad. I mistyped. You are correct.

1GB for $20 (prepaid only)
    2GB for $30 (prepaid or postpaid)
    5GB for $50 (prepaid or postpaid)
    10GB for $80 (prepaid or postpaid)

----------

Agreed. So far, it's nice to hear the same answers from multiple sources.

I literally just did the same thing. I ordered the Verizon 4G iPad, getting it on Friday the 16th, and if it doesn't work out as planned, I can return within the 14 day window. :)

I think we have a better chance of seeing pigs fly, than AT&T giving away something for free just to stay competitive. Either that, or they will give you Hotspot away for free, but then crank up the overage costs expecting to gouge us there to make up the difference.