Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnkat

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Seems like a good enough place to put my first post...I for one would still be there...I think. I was a Verizon customer for 8 years, and a Blackberry user for several, but the iPhone beguiled me and I couldn't resist.

The Storm, which was the last BB I had, is just the "best" option Verizon has to the iPhone...and it's a poor option I must say.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'd like to know where this survey came from.

It doesn't look like a professionally made one, and certainly leaves out a lot of questions. A good one would've asked about choice of devices, in general.

Makes me highly suspicious that this is a local survey, even perhaps from a kiosk.

marine610610

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
Id leave Sprint in a heartbeat if Verizon got an iPhone.

I can handle Sprint's bad customer service, but ATT's sorry network irritates me.

Verizon has good cust service and a good network.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Hehe i wonder which guy is getting fired at Verizon for telling Apple to go screw hehe.

StevnJ9971

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
It's good that Verizon realizes the iPhone is winning some of their old customers for AT&T. I was a former Verizon customer but after over a year of drooling over the iPhone (and waiting for my Verizon contract to run out) I left them for the iPhone.

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
This poll looks fake, but let's pretend it's real.

Lack of iPhone is the main reason I ditched Verizon, so yes, an iPhone would've kept me there (provided it wasn't ridiculously crippled like Verizon phones usually are).

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
If Verizon seriously gets the iPhone within the next 12 months, then I'm sticking with them.* Otherwise, bye, I'm going to AT&T.

*- That is, if Verizon doesn't ruin it with their V-Cast and other crap promotions that suck.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Living in NYC, I am really disappointed with AT&T's 3G speeds.

I rarely get anything over 120kbs during peak hours. Maybe around 4am I can get 700-900kbps

It's one reason I would welcome Verizon getting the iPhone. Especially with their transition to LTE. I was originally with Verizon about 8 years ago and switched to Cingular due to their really great Media Net packages. 1500 SMS/200 MMS/Unlimited internet for $19.99. Verizon at the time didn't have anything close to that. but I missed Verizon's solid network

AT&T really needs to fix the 3G speeds in NYC, or I might be looking at Verizon. Especially if they get an iPhone that has LTE and falls back on CDMA/GSM/HSPA

JWBlue

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Verizon called me several times to renew my contract. I asked them if they had the iPhone. They said no. I said someone screwed up in management and you're losing me no matter what you offer me now.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Same here...going month to month on alltel til the new iphone comes in June.....then switching to who ever has it.

oxdtown

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Dekalb, IL
i would switch back in a heart beat. i was with them for almost 3 yrs til the original iphone came out. then i went back to them for the storm spent just 12hrs with it hated it. the big reason is because att has 3g NOWHERE but big cities verizon has it in more locations

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Id leave Sprint in a heartbeat if Verizon got an iPhone.

I can handle Sprint's bad customer service, but ATT's sorry network irritates me.

Verizon has good cust service and a good network.

Sorry just saw this and thought it was funny. A comment from the article...

I left Verizon for two reasons; awful customer service and poorly made phones. With the iPhone, I have only ever spoken to an Apple employee, and the phone is of a far superior quality than any of the crapgadgets Verizon sold me over the eight years I was a customer.

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
If Verizon seriously gets the iPhone within the next 12 months, then I'm sticking with them.* Otherwise, bye, I'm going to AT&T.

*- That is, if Verizon doesn't ruin it with their V-Cast and other crap promotions that suck.

You should have wished that Verizon wasn't a CDMA carrier.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I had Verizon for my cellular broadband; they kicked me off the network and tried to charge me ETF when I used too much bandwidth on their "unlimited" data plan.

Sprint didn't give me crap about a limit, but they kept losing my payments and telling me I didn't pay my bill; wasn't content with them.

AT&T told me they didn't care that I went over the 5GB/month; so far no big problems. Had reception issues, one call to CS, was told they would send a technician to check out the cell tower and the next day I was getting full bars. Very happy with them. And no I don't have an iPhone.

Vanilla Cocoa

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I wouldn't even consider Verizon in the first place unless they had both the iPhone AND had a GSM/UMTS network. Yes, guys, AT&T's 3G coverage may be spottier, but at least their network is faster! (Those of you who get bad coverage will probably have a differing opinion, but I get fine coverage here.)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

yup, I never would have left vzn except for the iPhone. I like at&t just as much tho.

kdarling

macrumors P6
For those who obviously never owned a Verizon smartphone... they don't change the UI other than to give a default red color if you wish to use it.

The only thing they lock down (although that policy is now changing) is the GPS to only be used by their VZNavigator. Which was okay when you only wanted navigation, but people want other location services now as well. (And there are ROM hacks to enable it anyway.)

It's incredibly ironic that people talk about "crippling" a phone, when Apple has done a great job of doing that by themselves... far more than Verizon ever does.

Apple crippled the iPhone by leaving out Bluetooth profiles for stereo headphones, file transfers, external keyboards. They block users from downloading from anywhere excpet their own store... a lockdown that Jobs used to make fun of carriers for, just a few years back. They decide which types of apps you get to own, and don't allow too much customization. God forbid that you get to decide what your device does or looks like.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Sorry just saw this and thought it was funny. A comment from the article...

There customer service is good, never had a problem with that. All my issues I had, they fixed right away. I'm just sick of calling them once a month for the last 6-8 months to fix the problem that they know isn't my fault.

ckhris

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I would have stayed, had no reason to leave other than crappy phone selection and they are never 1st to get the good ones. But now that I'm on ATT I'll stay as long as they offer better selection of phones the service is the same.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Verizon has CDMA network. iPhone uses the international standard GSM network.

Can Verizon change its network nationwide to GSM within 1 year? Not happening.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Verizon has CDMA network. iPhone uses the international standard GSM network.

I find it difficult to believe that Apple could not make a CDMA iPhone in that kind of timeframe. On the other hand, I don't think they will. Even if Verizon did make a poll asking their customers if they would have stayed for the iPhone, doesn't mean Apple is willing or able (contractually) to sell it through them.

I think all the V-Cast and feature disabling kind of issues are moot. If Apple sold via them there's no way they would put up with any of this (aside from the features they themselves disabled on their own phone for their own reasons). I think the contract that is widely presumed to exist between Apple and AT&T and Apple's apparent comfort with remaining single carrier in the US are the arguments against this happening.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I find it difficult to believe that Apple could not make a CDMA iPhone in that kind of timeframe.

Yep, Apple could make a Verizon / Sprint version as easily as other phone makers have.

Non-engineers forget that the 3G iPhone uses a totally different radio chipset than the original model. And 3G uses W-CDMA, not the older TDMA.

I think all the V-Cast and feature disabling kind of issues are moot.

Especially since Verizon doesn't force VCast on their smartphones. Again, they're totally different from their dumb phones, which have a common UI to allow customers to move between phones easier.

I think the contract that is widely presumed to exist between Apple and AT&T and Apple's apparent comfort with remaining single carrier in the US are the arguments against this happening.

Exactly. It's business politics that decide the supported carriers, far more than any technical barrier.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I hope those POS pompous nickel and diming bastards lose all their customers. Good service or not i really despise that company. I love what happened to them with the whole iphone thing, Those pompous idiots wanted to take control of the iphone GUI and brand with that horrible red verizon crap and steve jobs told them to go fish. AT&T let apple do things their way and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not really "business politics". It's business + exclusive contract with AT&T to get started in the wireless field.

CDMA market is too small compared to world wide GSM market.

50 to 100 (probably not even that many) million people with CDMA vs billions of people with GSM, which market would you go into?

Also, due to lack of coverage in the rest of the world, CDMA can't really be used elsewhere. Ever seen an "unlocked" verizon CDMA phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.