Verizon/AT&T Overages - Data Expiration Date

Discussion in 'iPad' started by floridonet, Apr 15, 2012.

1. floridonet macrumors regular

Question for those on the prepaid plans that have had overage charges. As a hypothetical scenario, let's say I'm on the Verizon 2GB plan that renews the 1st of every month. On the 30th day of the March, I have used up all of my allotted 2048MB of data and the 1GB at $10 overage begins. Does this give me only the few days to use the 1GB of data until my plan renews, or does this overage have a separate expiration date?

I'm hoping it's the latter, but I'd like to know from the people who have experienced this first hand.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

The data overcharged in said month is only available to use in said month.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There is no "overage" on prepaid, only postpaid plans. You have to pay the full $20 (or whatever plan you choose). It will tell you your time (or data) is up and ask if you want to "renew." The white section is prepaid, the gray section is postpaid.

[​IMG]

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I believe on prepaid plans, once yOu use up your allotted amount, you can purchase an additional monthly amount. The month period for the additional amount starts when you purchase it. So you would have a month to use the 1GB

5. floridonet thread starter macrumors regular

Very interesting! The majority of the articles I've read states overages for prepaid plans. I guess this would be a compelling reason to go postpaid.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No, because on POSTPAID you MUST pay for data every month, plus I believe there is an activation fee to start. You can cancel your POSTpaid plan since there is no commitment however when you do your SIM card is rendered useless and you need to locate a new one then start over again with activation. If you are on prepaid you can stop/start any time you want AS LONG AS 5 MONTHS DON'T GO BY between purchases. After 5 months your account is closed and once again your SIM card is killed. If you plan on using data every month than postpaid is probably your best bet but the smallest plan is $30 and not $20 like on prepaid.

This only applies to Verizon, not AT&T.