Verizon blocking 4chan.... same AT&T deal... no back story

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jav6454, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, it seems many Verizon users can't access: boards.4chan.org

2 of my friends with Droids say there browsers time-out. I checked online with other communities and apparently the problem is network wide....

any comments on Droid or other Verizon users? By the way, AT&T has no restrictions....

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

You came to this conclusion based off what happened to two of your friends?

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

I would think the bolded part would indicate that he already checked more than just the results of his two friends. Read before you comment and offer no help or advice.

OP, I have a Droid, 4chan.org works, boards.4chan.org doesn't, on a PC it redirects to 4chan.org.

Trying to access any of the boards from 4chan.org (technology for example) doesn't work on the droid, where it does from 2 other computers.

4. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thank you... some people have reading comprehension problems. In any case, yes, my friends browse /g/ - Technology and apparently many other users in 4chan (Tech and other boards) are complaining about the same thing.

Developers of an Android browser called Chandroid deployed a quick fix but it still doesn't fix the fact Verizon is stepping out of bounds here.

Regardless of content, there should be no Internet censoring.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Clicking a direct link to http://boards.4chan.org/ redirects me to their main page (4chan.org). But from there I can click on a link to a specific Board, agree to a Disclaimer, then be granted access.

Attached Files:

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Could be verizon is having issues of DNS attacks or something coming from the site and in order to protect its network is blocks it.

Same reason ATT blocked it for a while. It did it to protect its own network and any ISP would do the same. They block what they suspect is an attack and then try to figure out if it really is one and how to fix it.

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Actually that wasn't even there when I was replying to the post...

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

Don't see an edit, so how couldn't it have been?

Yeah, if I had to guess it would be caused by the general lameness of 4chan in general(sloooooow). At any rate, it might be a bit more of an issue if 4chan were any sort of good, but of course, no, it really isn't.

9. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

True, but like I said, there is no backstory and Verizon isn't saying anything. /g/ Itself has apparently mobilized to make a fix, but it is unknown how long that fix will last.

Yes, there was no edit, post#1 is as is no editing. Also, 4chan hasn't been slow in a while, in fact they just did a server overhaul and things load up faster (except /b/ and r9k; which I don't care for). Sometimes there is no value in some discussions there, but from time to time you get a good argument that goes for a fair time on something specific (in this case, /g/ argues over ATI and nVidia and the respective Fermi GF-100 based cards v HD 5000 series)

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I clicked on a link my friend posted on my fb wall and when redirected I got an error message, maybe its the website itself

11. geeseh macrumors newbie

I'm in California and I have a Droid.

Same problem here, I can get to the main page but none of the boards using the normal browser.

Interestingly enough, there is an app on Android Market called Chandroid that has a "connection bandaid" feature which works around the problem. Not sure what magic they are using there, but it solves the problem for me.

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-onymous-browser-pnCD.aspx

12. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

They use a Proxy server to connect, otherwise you couldn't. It's a bit slower, but works nonetheless.

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

True enough, often as not though you find /b/ spilling over, has there been any sort of reasoning/announcement to customers about why this has been done?

14. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

No story from Verizon as of yet... people are calling their reps, but the reps say everything is fine and Verizon isn't doing anything (which is a blatant lie)

15. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

More info, apparently Verizon is deliberatly and without motive to remove placing an actual block. More info here.

http://status.4chan.org/

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Can't get it here at home on my regular iMac and Verizon Fios. Oh well, never tried to visit it before today...

17. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If you begin editing before anyone views your thread or replies to it (I don't remember off-hand), the edit will not be marked.

EDIT: Screw Verizon. I'll be canceling my phone service with them upon my return to the states.

18. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Nop, once you post and you edit, it is marked... in any case, apparently Verizon doesn't give a crap about net neutrality.

19. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

/g/... sure buddy... ;)

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, my EDIT section was actually an edit, and it doesn't seem to be marked there.

Regardless, this is annoying. Not that Boston had FiOS anyway, but I hope that someone else starts providing similarly fast Internet instead.

21. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm not going to discuss boards or anything. I am not going to lie and say I've never been to /b/, fact is I like /g/ better. /b/ was fine first 2 weeks, then it got boring so I went and dived off to the other boards. /g/ was instant winner.

Btw, the difference between all those boards is that /b/ is random while the other boards have a more generalized topic which people like and discuss albeit using some of the same pics/memes all over 4chan.

Also Gizmodo has done a report.