Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robertsmania

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
My Verizon iPad just told me there was a carrier settings update.

I declined it for now.

Does anyone know what this is?

Are these kind of updates common? My previous iPads were all Wi-Fi only...

Icedliptontea

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Just want to chime in...I just got that prompt a min ago. I clicked to update...perhaps foolishly...I hope not.

Verizon IPad 64gb owner

(not activated yet - waiting for summer travel before signing up for prepaid Verizon)

Last edited:

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I wonder if an update like this could impact the ability to get onto AT&T's network.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
It just means something will likely quit working if you do not update eventually. It is settings so you can connect to the network. All carriers require it to function.

kimhill

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2002
NYC
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/4069/64/

If you have a Verizon LTE iPad 3, you will see a popup message that says:

Carrier Settings Update

New settings are available. Would you like to update them now?

These settings will only update the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) which allows your Verizon equippment iPad to connect to new towers that Verizon has recently installed. This update is completely harmless and is recommended for all users. The update should only take a few seconds to perform.

After the update, the iPad3 shows a PRL version of 15102 (Goto General -> About -> Click on Carrier). Enter in the comments below the PRL that you have, if different. Didn't get a chance to write down the PRL before the update. The carrier settings are stored in your Micro SIM, so if you install a new SIM, you will have to apply the carrier settings again.

What are Carrier Settings Updates?

Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10 kb) that are installed on your iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. Carrier settings include updates to Access Point Names (APNs), MMS settings, features such as tethering, and default apps such as Stocks, Maps, and Weather. You might receive notifications periodically about installing a carrier settings update.

Robertsmania

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks! That is a lot clearer than the info I found searching before posting the question about it.

Why not just except the update? Because I didn't know what it was. I often switch the unlimited Sim from my LTE phone to the iPad and don't know what they might try to turn off or change. "Carrier settings" seemed like it could have meant a lot of things...

Icedliptontea

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Would Verizon have capability to permanently block me from using AT&T via an over the air update on my Verizon iPad? That's what dstar #6 is worried about...that got me worried too.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Somehow my personal hotspot got turned on after the carrier update, which was weird. But it works fine.

I wish someone would turn on my personal hotspot.

----------

Would Verizon have capability to permanently block me from using AT&T via an over the air update on my Verizon iPad? That's what dstar #6 is worried about...that got me worried too.

I highly doubt they'd be able to do that. AT&T is the only one that could prevent you from using AT&T. If you have a Verizon iPad and put an AT&T sim in it, how could Verizon possibly know what you're doing.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
The carrier update for me was actually helpful. Before the update, I couldn't keep a 3G signal in my home. Not a big deal, since i use WiFi. After the update, I now have LTE in my home. Pretty sweet. Still not a big deal, because of the WiFi.

Icedliptontea

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Here's what is on my iPad. Settings>General>about>carrier

Verizon 12.1
PRL 62121
ERI 8

I dunno what they mean.

(my iPad already has the carrier update this thread is talking abt)

Last edited:

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Wirelessly posted

No it won't..the IPad is a fully unsubsidized device. Stop being so paranoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.