Verizon Data Article...are you kidding?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by black743, Jan 17, 2011.

1. black743 macrumors 6502

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

3. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

I did talked to a VZW Support person via their webchat, and the person stated it will stay at the $30 dollar unlimited data price range.

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Lol. No. I expect that they might initially offer 'unlimited' service with a soft cap around 5GB until they see how successful the launch is. If enough people are signing up for service, then they will probably introduce tiers

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Please don't post any articles that contain the phrase "said Rob Enderle."

I'm serious. Just don't do it.

6. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

I would like to point out, for perhaps the grillionth time, there is no soft cap at five gigs on Verizon Wireless. I have exceeded it many times, and know many people who have. Also, the terms of service in the contract do not specify any such cap.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Charge up to $120 monthly for unlimited data on top of voice and texting costs?
    "Data plans for Verizon iPhone could range from $20 to $90 a month or even $120 unlimited a month,"
    I highly doubt that, Verizon will try to stay competitive and near AT&T's pricing structure cause they are a direct competitor.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think I read somewhere about the hotspot functionality having a soft cap of 5 GB. Data would be unlimited for the phone, but there is a 5GB quota for data shared with other devices. I'm not familiar with Verizon, so this may or may not be accurate.

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The 5GB limit is for data-only devices such as an aircard or Mifi device. There is no 5GB limit for phones.

10. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Not exactly. I pay $29.99/month for unlimited data on my Incredible. I pay another $20 for 2 gigs of data for my mobile hotspot, with overage at $10/gig. Sadly the phone reports all data as hotspot data whilst the hotspot is running. If I browse the web on my Incredible whilst I run the hotspot it counts against my two gigs.

Then again, if the hotspot is running I can't imagine I'm gonna use the phone itself all that heavily.

11. TimShady macrumors member

Unlimited data on Verizon goes from $29.99/month to $120? Really? Who could possibly believe there is any validity in that?

I'm not scared of tiered pricing because I'm not a super heavy data user. With ATT I could actually save 5 bucks per phone a month by staying under 2GB, which I can easily do. I'm interested to see what pricing changes, if any, will be implemented but I'm not too worried about it.

Also, I would think any changes would apply to all Verizon smart phones, not just the iPhone. That would be weird.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

And for that matter they could go up to $1,000,000 a month. :eek:

Honestly, I get really tired of these analysts pulling crap out of there....anal orifice.

It also makes no sense to charge more for the iPhone because Verizon themselves have released numbers showing that the average Android user uses more data than what AT&T said the average iPhone user uses.

13. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's a RIDICULOUS amount of speculation.

I want my 90 seconds back.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i highly doubt any subsequent changes to the data plan, especially if theyre touting Personal Hotspot features and a phone like the iphone just doesnt make sense for them to do it as they havent had issues with the data hungry androids.
    But I wouldnt believe anything until its released by verizon specifically.

And I doubt again they would change their family share plans if you plan on using multiple phones on the same line.
    There are two family share plans, Talk and Talk & Text (which includes unlimited txt/pix messaging) which include 2 lines starting around $80~ give or take at 700minutes.

One thing I would prefer would be if Verizon kept the Smartphones talk free with the iPhone as that takes away the 9.99 per line if you have 3 or more lines

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I read somewhere the world wuz gonna end in 2012.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Exactly right.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm paying $30/month for BB Storm2 unlimited data. If vzw wants to give 10/GB a month or higher or unlimited for $30/month - it will be fair. If they expect me to pay $40/month or higher for unlimited - it isn't happening.

18. SpinDoc macrumors newbie

Rob Enderle is clueless

I just spoke to Verizon today. The sales rep told me that Verizon will continue to offer their two current data plans for the iPhone. $15/mo for 150 Mb, and $29.95/mo for unlimited.

She did not know whether Verizon plans to charge anything for hotspot.

She also said that all service plans will also remain the same.

19. black743 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, apparently I haven't been educated on the whole Rob Enderle deal....I take it from the sounds of it that he isn't exactly on the money?

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

21. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

He's just a vapid and sensationalist hit-whore.

22. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

So basically what I get there is... it's not announced, with no Verizon credible "leak" on said speculation. Therefore it's just people trying to get in the news.

The only reason it's not announced is that they're going to use it as a final "push" right before launch to get in the news with solid Data pricing. Another PR opportunity for Verizon to BLOW UP the News sources just before it goes live.

23. geko29 macrumors 6502

He's a world-class dope, who's nearly always wrong on anything that hasn't already been announced. But he must have quite the personality, because he somehow continues to convince journalists that he isn't full of ****.

24. Apple 26.2, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Our current "government" has given the FCC the right to allow the carriers to start charging for bandwidth.

Do not think, for a split second, the carriers will not take advantage of it!:rolleyes: