Verizon data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xdbuix, Jun 21, 2011.

1. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I'm about to get my first 3g/4g phone ever. I'm looking to buy the Verizon iPhone. I've been reading up on the Verizon data plan tier plan and I'm a bit confused about what's being said. There's one side saying that the current unlimited data plan holders will not be grandfathered in and the other saying current unlimited data plan holders will. I've seen the pictures and all that, but what is more likely to happen?

What exactly is the verdict, because i'm on the tip between waiting for the new iPhone or just getting the iPhone 4 now with unlimited? Thanks.

2. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

3g unlimited data plans will be grandfathered in. However, if the iphone LTE ever comes out you will not be bale to keep the unlimited plan b.c the 4g plan is different.

3. MacFan1701 macrumors member

What about upgrading and getting grandfathered in from an unlimited feature phone data plan to a 3G smartphone unlimited data plan?

4. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

from my understanding that won't work either b.c when we change features on a person's account the feature phone, 3g phone, and the 4g phone data plans are all different codes/plans.

5. MacFan1701 macrumors member

So, being that I dont have a smartphone my ONLY choices are either get an iPhone 4 now, but get the unlimited or get the iPhone 5 later and be FORCED to do tiered, right?

6. xdbuix thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the info. I'll porbably hold out.

7. xdbuix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes that's correct from what he said, but if you want to be grandfathered, it looks like its probably better to get any 4g phone now to get the unlimited. Then upgrade to hopefully a 4g iPhone in the future.

8. MacFan1701 macrumors member

dammit....well, this didnt really help at all lol but at the very least i know what im dealing with and i know what my options are...so thats something i guess lol

9. hotcocoa macrumors member

It seems like many people are assuming that Verizon will grandfather existing unlimited users. Couldn't they just switch everyone?

10. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

I'm not seeing this from my research.

Try this:

Go to verizonwireless.com and do a mock signup all the way through to the checkout process (using any "talk plan" and the required "data plan") for the following 2 devices:

1) an iPhone 4

2) any 4G/LTE capable phone device on their site

Point being is the data plan you sign up for doesn't differentiate between 3G/4G. Whether Verizon will pull a "They are different" when it comes time to upgrade in the future, I won't go there (e.g., no more speculating for me ;) )

Let me know what you think. I'm not sure 'bout anything re: this subject anymore -- we'll have to wait until "the time comes" to really find out, IMO.

$0.02

11. MacFan1701 macrumors member

Well, they COULD, but we're kinda sorta hoping for the best here....

12. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

I know it doesn't differentiate it there but in our point of sale system it does. I own a verizon store btw. So when i change a person's data plan the 3g plans and 4g plans are different.

Also i had customer who had the $15 150 mb data plan, when they upgraded to a 4G plan they couldn't keep the old plan b.c it was not "compatible" with the 4g phones.

13. hotcocoa macrumors member

S.hasan546,

Since you own a Verizon store, do you think existing users will be grandfathered in?

14. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Oh, didn't realize that.

I then defer my points of research to you.

Find out as much as y'all can, and post away for the benefit of all. (Yeah, I realize you only know so much -- even owning a VZ store -- but you certainly know more than the average "barkingDog" :) )

15. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

people will definitely get grandfathered in. however, the key issue is that i doubt they will keep you grandfathered if you go from 3g to 4g phone or 4g phone to 3g phone. Because those plans are totally different in our system.

16. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

tomorrow i will be calling my verizon reps and also ill take screenshots of the different 3g and 4g plans on verizon's internal sales system

17. Hrlygal macrumors newbie

I came to a deadend on my Verizon iPhone plz help

I am so new to this apple/iPhone stuff... I guess u can call me "clueless" for sure. On top of that I am what I call a computer retard. I managed to jailbreak my Verizon iPhone using greenpois0n. Yay'!! So now I'm trying to get the firmware??? And I found some pretty good am useful instructions on this sight.. I mean I could actually understand them.. Wow!! After finally figuring out that u couldn't install or download (I really don't know the difference) the apptapp installer which apparently must b needed to get the firmware...installed. That requires iNdependence to get to the installer app which iNdepenence requires a pc and my pc is a Sony vaio (windows) and it wouldn't download the independence cuz it's not an apple which required me to get 7zip- and and get windows to accept my requests...?at last!! I did it!!! I got the 7zip installed... So now, I can't find my indepence download to try to run indepence, I'm guessing, run using my 7zip... Aaaaand it says to jailbreak my iPhone using independence but it did that with the greenpois0n...oh and it also said in order to get the apptapp installer I have to downgrade to the earlier version of iPhone... There was something mentioned about re-jailbreaking phone that it would cause some BAND to bust and to b careful... So these instructions to say how to even get started "after a jailbreak" I would love to continue getting apptapp, firmware, learning to run independence etc... So if threes anyone out there who can guide me in plain amd simple english I would really appreciate the help.. Also, I am sorry for posting in the wrong spot.. I've been trying for a dew days to find sewhere and this is the best place I could find. I got awful dizzy running in those circles without end.. Thanx

18. TheXFactor macrumors regular

There is a verizon document posted at a few sites showing that you will be grandfathered in if you lock in before July 7th. It also shows you will still be able to keep unlimited data if you upgrade to a new phone, 3G or 4G. If the doc is the real deal no one knows for sure. There are too many assumptions, opinions and lack of facts right now.

I wouldn't make a hasty decision based on any of this and I for sure wouldn't buy any of the 4G phones just because there might be a slim chance you're gonna get locked in. There's the same possibility of getting locked in by signing up with a 3G phone, namely the iPhone. You're signing for 2 years. Get the phone you want now, don't be concerned about what's gonna happen in the future. You have no control over what Verizon does or does not do.

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I have no idea what you're talking about but you should definitely post this in the iphone hacks section, not here. Someone should be able to help you in the hacks section.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Odd. I just went from a Droid Charge with 4G to an iPhone and they said they didn't have to touch my plan. Just switched my device. Wonder if they just just left the 4G plan active.

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So if you have unlimited with a 4G device right now, you'll probably be allowed to keep unlimited when/if you decide to upgrade to a 4G-capable iphone then, right? Assuming this is true, I wonder if there's a way to "lock in" unlimited 4G data without locking myself into a contract. I'm currently under contract with AT&T for another year or so (like many others here who upgrade to the iphone 4) and don't plan to leave before my contract is up; however, a year from now I'd like to at least have the option to switch to Verizon with unlimited 4G data (getting a little sick of dropped calls on AT&T and Verizon appears to be well ahead in their 4G deployment as well). I realize that I'll probably have to do something before July 7th but I'm not sure if I can do anything other than sign up on Verizon with a used 4G device and pay Verizon every month as well (not under contract I assume though since I'd be providing my own phone).

Is there any way to do this without paying for both AT&T and Verizon for the next year? If not, I guess I'm going to just stick with AT&T for the forseeable future as long as I get to keep unlimited data. That's in question though too since I'm not locked in to unlimited 4G data with AT&T right now and I guess they could force me onto a tiered plan when/if the 4G-capable iphone comes out. Decisions...

22. MacFan1701 macrumors member

I just want to know if I can be grandfathered into an unlimited smartphone data plan, when upgrading and renewing from a feature phone unlimited data plan. Some people are saying I can, others are saying I can't, and others simply don't know. I wish I could find out so I can at the very least know what my options are.

23. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

They can do whatever they want - grandfather you in or not.

But, if they don't grandfather you, then they are changing the terms of your contract, which would allow you to terminate without paying the ETF. It's what happened when they changed text messaging rates a few years ago...

24. kdog005 macrumors member

I will confirm what s.hasan546 is saying, the current 29.99 data plans for the non LTE devices are a different coded in our system, thus would force a data change if you move to an LTE phone in the future. I'm a store manager, and we're actually getting this question a lot given the recent disclosure of the tiered plans.

25. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So can you answer my question above? If I buy a used 4G device on ebay (Samsung Galaxy S or whatever) and activate it with unlimited data on Verizon, am I able to freeze my service indefinitely until I'm actually ready to switch to Verizon? I was told that you can only freeze up to twice a year for a total of 6 months but I'm not sure if that's right. In other words, is there any possible way to lock in unlimited 4G data right now without paying Verizon every month between now and the time my contract with AT&T is up (June 2012)?