Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
verizon will allow you to do an early upgrade, as long as it's in the same month. The catch is, they won't change the date, they just allow you to order over the phone or through a corporate store early. They can change the date, but only with manager approval, and with getting the right person on the phone.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I think it depends on who you get on the phone. I had Verizon give me an early upgrade about a year ago, by two weeks, and the only stipulation was that they could not upgrade me to an iPhone. Not sure how hard and fast that was, as I was trying to upgrade to something else anyway, but that was the only restriction they gave me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
verizon will allow you to do an early upgrade, as long as it's in the same month. The catch is, they won't change the date, they just allow you to order over the phone or through a corporate store early. They can change the date, but only with manager approval, and with getting the right person on the phone.
Don't think that's been an official policy as I haven't been able to do it over a number of upgrades. Only on one occasion I actually got the date changed a bit, but that's it.

elmorage

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I think the key is to let them know you plan on ordering the iPhone on release day from someone, and if they don't change your date you will start new service with ATT and let your contract expire on 9/21.

That was how I got them to change mine, and I am able to upgrade immediately.

tssumners

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
I just have a question about upgrading. My friend brought to my attention the other day that our upgrade dates fall on september 18th. We both both preordered the 5 with our upgrades and now that the 6 is coming out, we would like to do the same. My question is since we all know that the phone will be announced on the 9th, and a preorder of some sort will occur in the same week, will I be able to preorder the 6 using an upgrade or will verizon make me wait till the 18th. By waiting, I will probably not be able to preorder the phone, and most likely I will have to endure the pain of finding a store that has one after release.

When you preorder, Verizon uses the actual launch date as the date of purchase. So if your eligible on the 18th but the phone ships and arrives on the 19th then you can preorder on the 12th and Verizon uses the 19th as the actual day of purchase. I just confirmed this with Verizon customer service cause my upgrade date is the 17th. They also gave me one additional GB of data for 12 months. :D

john91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Fountain Valley, CA
When you preorder, Verizon uses the actual launch date as the date of purchase. So if your eligible on the 18th but the phone ships and arrives on the 19th then you can preorder on the 12th and Verizon uses the 19th as the actual day of purchase. I just confirmed this with Verizon customer service cause my upgrade date is the 17th. They also gave me one additional GB of data for 12 months. :D

Sweet, so what you are saying is that Verizon's website will show that my account has an upgrade on the 18th and since the release date is the 19th, that I will be able to preorder with no problem?

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I spoke to a manager and they seem to have taken care of this for me. They said they could only move my upgrade date "up to 72 hrs" earlier than the original date, putting me at the 18th, and that the date would not change but my account would be noted and I'd be allowed to upgrade early when the time came to purchase the phone. However now when I log into My Verizon it shows both my lines as eligible for an early upgrade, but the date still shows the 21st.

Not sure what to make of it. I'd say you can either be aggressive about calling Verizon and trying to get it changed or wait and see what happens after the announcement. I get the feeling Verizon will play ball and allow all the launch-day iPhone 5 buyers to upgrade.

tssumners

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Sweet, so what you are saying is that Verizon's website will show that my account has an upgrade on the 18th and since the release date is the 19th, that I will be able to preorder with no problem?

That is what I was told.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
I have gotten iphone early upgrades twice on two different lines and can tell you they won't do it. By the time there system would even allow them to early upgrade to that phone you're upgrade date would have already passed. Usually devices are in the iconic portal (aka preorder site) for at least 90 days. "Iconic" phones cannot be picked as an early upgrade unless something goes on high up but I highly doubt it. In case you want to give it a whirl though contact marni.walden@verizonwireless.com
And expect a reply from your VZ district manager. The first time I did it without the district manager but it took at least 10 phone calls and frustration. However the other route took an email and a phone call with the manager and I got the phone in store (vs shipped) two days later. However I was forced to do the verizon trade in program so be prepared!

john91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Fountain Valley, CA
Just got my upgrade moved to today. I didnt have to threaten them or anything. But the lady did confirm that the system will allow you to upgrade your phone up to 7 days before your upgrade date and that verizon would let you preorder as long as the 7 days are during the preorder prior. That is from my understanding, I could be wrong. She updated my upgrade date for reassurance. I'm Hyped!

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
My Verizon contract is up on Sep. 21 and that date has shown up as my upgrade date on store.apple.com and Costco.com. Today suddenly the Apple Store and Costco sites as well as Verizon say I am eligible for an upgrade. So others on this thread may want to check again.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
My Verizon contract is up on Sep. 21 and that date has shown up as my upgrade date on store.apple.com and Costco.com. Today suddenly the Apple Store and Costco sites as well as Verizon say I am eligible for an upgrade. So others on this thread may want to check again.

Wow, you are right! My upgrade date kept showing the 22nd, even when I checked yesterday. Just logged in and I am now due tomorrow, 9/5. This was without a phone call or email to verizon. Thanks for the heads up!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Mine was 18th & is still 18th.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
i spoke with a verizon chat rep and he said all i would need to do to move up the upgrade date is walk into a verizon store and have a manager approve it. im not sure how much they can move it up but i am hoping it can done tomorrow so i am eligible by monday.

jasonc11

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Verizon Upgrade Changed

I had called into Verizon about this issue earlier this week, they did move up my upgrade from the 21st to the 14th...but in reading this thread today I double checked and both of my lines, which are iPhone 5's bought on launch day have been changed to "Eligible for a discount now."

So, if you're on big red log-in and check your account...Maybe upper management realized they could cut down on customer service inquiries and streamline their response for early adopters by making this adjustment while keeping early adopter customers happy.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Same with us. My son's phone and mine both originally showed updates as Sept 21. I looked today and both have been changed to eligible now!!! Thank you Verizon!! Makes sense. What does a few days matter to them. they want to get you and lock you in. Plus this is easier then everyone calling them.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
My upgrade date still shows as the 21st, but it says I'm eligible for an upgrade right below that and when I click it it takes me to the phone selection page, where the only prices shown are for the 2-yr contract subsidized price. Is this what everyone else is seeing as well?

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
My upgrade date still shows as the 21st, but it says I'm eligible for an upgrade right below that and when I click it it takes me to the phone selection page, where the only prices shown are for the 2-yr contract subsidized price. Is this what everyone else is seeing as well?

Yes. The contract date doesn't change. Verizon is just allowing for an early upgrade. Same info on Verizon, Apple and Costco sites for me.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Yes. The contract date doesn't change. Verizon is just allowing for an early upgrade. Same info on Verizon, Apple and Costco sites for me.

Cool. Unfortunately it appears like we may only be able to upgrade through Verizon, however. On Apple's site, Best Buy's, etc it still shows as not eligible until the 21st with no option for an early upgrade.

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
I used to work for Verizon in a Call Center. In my experience, it greatly depends on the rep's supervisor. I had supervisors that would change the date for customers within a few weeks, and then I had supervisors that would only change it under the stipulation that it is ordered with that particular rep.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'd be interested to see whether all of those getting upgrade dates moved up were scheduled to be updated on the 21st. Perhaps VZW saw the potential lost income here and is deciding to go ahead and fudge the dates so as to renew 2-year contracts. I would.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Cool. Unfortunately it appears like we may only be able to upgrade through Verizon, however. On Apple's site, Best Buy's, etc it still shows as not eligible until the 21st with no option for an early upgrade.

So when you look on Apple's site and click on the "Upgrade Eligibility" link, you are shown full retail prices for buying iPhone today?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.