Verizon: FYI On Activations and Used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thetexan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. thetexan macrumors 6502a

For all you future iPhone on Verizon users, you should keep the following in mind:

1. If your iPhone becomes lost or stolen, contact Verizon to let them know ASAP. They will block the ESN so the phone will not be tied to your account.

What's cool about Verizon is the fact the phone is now worthless, as it can never be activated by anyone but you again. Having your phone stolen sucks, but at least you know that your phone is a mere brick and is not being enjoyed by the thief. On GSM, all the user has to do is pop in a SIM and the phone works again.

2. Accounts that are past-due will have the ESN on the account permanently blocked until the account is up to date.

Keep this in mind when you are ordering used CDMA iPhones via eBay or Craigslist. If the phone was stolen, or the account holder is past due on his or her account, then the phone will not work. There is no pleading to Verizon to get them to activate it as they will refuse to. Only the original account holder can activate a phone with a blocked ESN by reporting that the phone is no longer stolen or by paying the account balance.

Before paying the seller, always contact Verizon with the ESN of the phone you are buying to ensure that it is clear and ready to activate, otherwise you maybe stuck with a phone that will work fine but be as useless as a paperweight.

2. egautreaux macrumors member

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info.
    Not as simple as putting a new AT&T sim inside the phone.
    My guess is we will have tons of people with problems buying used CDMA iphones.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your comments are borderline trolling. You make it incredibly clear that you favor AT&T over VZW, which is fine. However, this guy is giving some good info out to those who will attempt to buy an iPhone off contract.

No, it's not as simple as swapping a sim card but there are positives to VZW's methods as well. You fail to see them. "We" won't have tons of problems with people buying CDMA phones. You won't, I won't ... if anything it will be VZW's issue, not "ours".

OP, this is good info and something that anyone buying a VZW phone should be aware of.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

True, while Verizon can block the phone from their network, AT&T could as well. Other GSM carriers in Europe block the phone if its reported stolen. I'm not sure as why AT&T doesn't do this as well, yet they have the ability to.

6. thetexan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've purchased several CDMA phones used via eBay and I have not had a problem, but the potential for a problem does exist. Of course I stick with high feedback sellers who are more established in the system. It's possible for you to purchased a stolen GSM iPhone via eBay today and not realize it, but you'll notice it right away with CDMA because it plain will not work.

Verizon (and Sprint) will gladly tell you if an ESN is clear or not. If it's not clear they won't tell you why except for the fact that it's not clear to be activated. Taking an extra step of verifying before paying will save you some problems down the road.

Having an iPhone stolen from myself, I was frustrated that AT&T would do nothing for me, not even block the IMEI in the system. I like the fact that should I get ripped off again at least the phone is worthless to the thief.

7. Applejuiced, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's why I said good info.
    Jessica, if you dont like my posts its very simple. Put me in your ignore list.
    Trust me I will not care:D
    You chose to see my comment as "borderline Trolling" cause you obviously have a chip on your shoulder.
    I was saying its not as simple as with GSM phones to use a lost or stolen phone and it might be a problem down the road with people buying used cdma iphones 2nd hand.
    Read the post again and keep your attitude to yourself next time.

I hear you.
    Hope people educate themselves and do this check so they dont get scammed by anyone off ebay or CL for example and get stuck with a phone that they cannot use.

8. vachargerfan macrumors regular

And you don't think that could be seen as trolling either? Not saying it is, but trying to defend something on AT&T doesn't mean that Applejuiced is trolling

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ You're right, but I look at the recent history of posts and manage to put together a fair amount of passive agressive attempts to once more point out that AT&T is awesome. The sim card argument is similar to the "no right click on a Mac" argument, basically pointless depending upon who you talk to. I think the iPhone and the ability to remote wipe has pretty much taken care of the fears of losing a phone with a sim card in it. But if you don't have the iPhone then what are you left with?

AT&T is awesome, for some. Unfortunately, it was not for me after I moved. Prior to that, it was all about AT&T. I have to go with the company that allows me to use my phone. /shrug

Applejuice, while I appreciate your candor, I simply don't buy it. ;) I could put you on ignore and you wouldn't care, I agree. However, I reserve the ignore list for another set of folks. Likewise, the ignore list is a feature available to you as well.

AT&T can also block phones, they tend not to. I've had a phone stolen and AT&T has been less than helpful. VZW has yet to be tested so any opinion or knowledge I have would have come from other peoples' accounts and not my own.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

Sim cards and easily switching phones was one of the things that made me like AT&T when I switched in 2005. I'm not sure if there will be tons of problems, but I'm sure we will read about some people having issues. It is apparently enough of an issue that we are being warned that it is a possibility.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What does the recent history of my posts have to do with this thread? You got a problem with me just send me a PM if you need to vent or if its that time of the month for you.
    No need to clutter the board with off topic posts or personal attacks.
    Yes, I do like AT&T and Im very happy with their service like many others. I dont care what you buy or you dont.
    Have a good day.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Another thing everyone thinks the sim cards are so awesome because you keep your contact on them...what if your phone is lost or stolen? Verizon uses Backup Assistant to keep your contacts online.

13. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Dumb question, but lets say you buy an iphone used that has a blocked esn. Would you still be able to use it as a glorified ipod?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is no, cause it will probably need to be activated first.

15. vachargerfan macrumors regular

When you sync your phone to iTunes, you will have a backup of them

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. I think this will be the first VZW phone we've seen in a very long time that would not have to use their backup assistant thing. I personally don't use it anyway. In that respect, I fully miss iTunes.

Applejuice, grow up. Challenging your motives doesn't correlate to my menstrual cycle. I can PM you my calendar if it would help you.

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im talking about sim cards in general, not only the iPhones. Im not sure if the iPhone will use backup assistant but once you set it up which will be the worst part of switching, it updates every night and keeps them backed up.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I personally do not see an issue with his post.

Good information OP.
    Seems like buying a used Verizon iPhone isn't as simple as buying an AT&T iPhone since you have to make sure its not locked by Verizon.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Thanks but I will not need that calendar.

20. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Lmao. Excellent.:apple:

Yeah I didn't really see a problem with your post either.

21. vachargerfan macrumors regular

With dumb phones you are SOL, but if you are linking your phone to something like gmail, then you can have you contacts stored there. But yes, AT&T doesn't do it for you automatically

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Dumbphones use backup assistant.

23. kdarling, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sure, just as you can now with an iPhone that's been activated already.

For almost a decade I've bought CDMA smartphones with bad ESNs for cheap on eBay, and used them as the same kind of device that eventually Apple sold as the iPod touch. (And for development.)

Especially after 2005, when smartphones started getting WiFi. I kept some around just for use with my Slingbox and Slingplayer on WinMo. It was quite cool to have little handheld TVs available in the bathrooms or for watching on the porch or late at night in bed ;) If my wife wanted to watch one show on the big TV, I'd use a WiFi phone with an earplug to snuggle beside her and watch a different channel.

In fact, I keep a couple of bad ESN phones charged up for when the grandkids visit. They love playing with them, and I'm not afraid of them being broken.

Heck, I'm looking forward to cheap bidding on some of the first bunch of CDMA iPhones that people default payment on. Of course, if someone figures out how to flash them on Cricket or something, the price stays high.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    If it's restored though you probably won't get past the connect to iTunes logo.
    But depending on the firmware version there might be a jb and hactivation program down the road.

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Speaking of backups....

I wonder if Verizon's OTA backup service will be enabled for the iPhone? Doubtful and not really necessary given iTunes, but would be a "nice to have."