Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon Wireless is the only major carrier in the United States that has not introduced Wi-Fi calling, but it appears that could change in the near future as the FCC today approved the company's request for an FCC waiver [PDF] that will allow it to move ahead with its plans.

Like AT&T, Verizon applied for an FCC waiver to delay implementing a teletypewriter (TTY) service for deaf and hard-of-hearing people until December 31, 2017. Verizon plans to use real-time text (RTT) as an alternative and the waiver will allow it to avoid offering a TTY service until its RTT technology is deployed and operational.

verizonlogo.jpg

On its website, Verizon says it plans to support Wi-Fi calling "in the future," but has not specified when Wi-Fi calling could be implemented. When AT&T was approved for Wi-Fi calling, the feature was turned on within days of receiving the go ahead from the FCC.

Wi-Fi calling will allow Verizon customers to make phone calls over Wi-Fi in situations where their cellular signal is low, automatically transitioning between Wi-Fi and a cellular connection as needed. AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all already implemented Wi-Fi calling, but Sprint and T-Mobile have done so without obtaining the necessary waivers from the FCC.

Article Link: Verizon Gets Green Light on FCC Waiver Needed for Wi-Fi Calling

kch50428

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
North Iowa
I believe wifi calling is already in iOS9.x - just need a carrier settings update to "turn it on". Look for that next week sometime...

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
But when you walk out of the wifi area the call drops! I had to run this off because of that.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Verizon is probably the least important carrier to enable this, since their coverage map is so strong compared to the others.
Right............ you keep on believing that. I know of so many places that have "Great" service and you can not hold a call to save your life. So in these places the wifi calling is going to be a boon. I also will no longer have a dead iPhone from straining to get service.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Verizon is probably the least important carrier to enable this, since their coverage map is so strong compared to the others.

I completely agree, although I live in a biggish city (Raleigh), I still do not have coverage at my house...it's actually due to the elevation most likely. The cell extenders are terrible...and to be clear, there is only 1 local carrier that has cell service in my house.

The wifi calling is a huge benefit for me since I wouldn't need the cell extender, that again, is horrible because it can take 5 minutes to activate once i get home. It also makes for talking to someone while at home while walking out the door impossible...I do get service about 50 ft from the house. Anyway - I can't wait...

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I completely agree, although I live in a biggish city (Raleigh), I still do not have coverage at my house...it's actually due to the elevation most likely. The cell extenders are terrible...and to be clear, there is only 1 local carrier that has cell service in my house.

The wifi calling is a huge benefit for me since I wouldn't need the cell extender, that again, is horrible because it can take 5 minutes to activate once i get home. It also makes for talking to someone while at home while walking out the door impossible...I do get service about 50 ft from the house. Anyway - I can't wait...
I'm in the same boat! I live in philly suburb. Can't wait!!

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
unless you have no service it sucks at least on att its just as bad as the microcell its takes forever to place a call and then you are lucky if they can hear you when they pickup I keep mine turned off this is my experience with wifi calling

cdodge

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
About time!!

Now I just need them to have carry over data and Number Sync like what attnt has. I want to have an Iphone, Android and a Windows Phone that share the same number.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
That logo, ugh!
Who really cares about this?

That's absurd. Even if the best coverage map, what good does it do if you can't get good cell reception in a specific area?And their are plenty of areas with bad coverage for any given carrier.

But when you walk out of the wifi area the call drops! I had to run this off because of that.
Doesn't happen to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.