Verizon i5 - Keeping Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vice92, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Vice92 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but scouring through the older posts I still haven't found the information I need, or conflicting information.

I went to the Verizon store and the worker outright told me the only way to keep my grandfathered unlimited 3G data plan was to purchase the i5 outright for full price. I know this information to be false, but it seems Verizon is really pushing this. So my question is, how do I keep my unlimited data?

I'm on a family plan with my mom, dad, and sister. My mom has an upgrade on 10/22 that I want to use to get myself an i5.

2 years ago, I used my mom's upgrade to get my i4. I ordered the phone online through verizon's site, then called them up once it arrived to activate it/switch it over to my line. I was able to keep my unlimited data but granted, there were no shared data plans at this point. Would this still work for getting the i5?

2. mr lee macrumors member

mr lee

They have changed the policy. Now Either you buy a phone at full price and keep your unlimited OR use an upgrade and lose your unlimited data package. (I know it sucks)

I have verified this over the phone with them many times and a family member of mine works for verizon wireless customer support and confirmed it :(

3. PN4 macrumors member

I successfully kept my Verizon unlimited data and it was very easy. All that you have to do is pay full price for the iPhone 5.

4. SexyBeast macrumors regular

Start a new line for $10. Use the new line to purchase the iPhone 5 and have it activated. Once it's activated, transfer the iPhone to your main line and put a flip phone on the new line. It's like just paying $10 per month extra for unlimited

5. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's incredibly disappointing. I can't justify spending $750 on a phone.

I also don't see how adding a new line, upgrading that line to i5, then switching it over to my line is any different from upgrading a current line, then switching it over to my line.

6. CatsTide macrumors 6502

well...it is. to keep unlimited you can get a subsidized phone on that line.you can get one on other lines.

7. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Right... so I upgrade one of the other lines on my family plan, then switch it over to mine. Still not seeing the difference.

8. SexyBeast macrumors regular

That's how I kept my unlimited data. You are not using a subsidy on your main line therefore you don't have to give up unlimited. These people who buy the phone at full price are morons. Make sure the phone is activated on the new line first then switched over. Not a cross upgrade

----------

It's the equivalent of you and someone else switching phones. It's super easy and I don't understand how else to explain it. Not to be a jerk, but if you don't understand then that's your fault. Read some books and get smarter

9. CatsTide macrumors 6502

The difference is...you can't get a discounted phone on an unlimited plan line.you can get it on another line.After you get the phones you can put them on whatever line you want to. To start you will have to get a 2gb plan on your new line but you can drop that as soon as you put a dumb phone on that line.

----------

lol

10. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

That makes perfect sense but.. ugh, perhaps I'm just getting confused. You said earlier that you had to add another line for $10, upgrade to an i5 on that line, then switch it over to your line.

Then you said in this post that you are not using a subsidy on your main line, therefore you don't have to give up unlimited. To me, these two statements contradict each other.

Let me try to explain. My mother's line has an upgrade available. I want to upgrade her line to the i5 & activate it on her line. Once the i5 is activated on her line, I will call Verizon and have them switch it over to my line. Hence, "the equivalent of you and someone else switching phones." You're saying this will work?

11. CatsTide macrumors 6502

yes it will work...they can do all the switching in the store for you. It's not a loophole or shady but an accepted practice for Verizon. Just make sure if you have them do it you tell them to leave your unlimited alone.

----------

so if you already have a line ready for an upgrade you don't have to add another line. I'm assuming your mother doesn't have unlimited? Because if she did,she would lose it.

12. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Actually you know what happened with me? I upgraded to a 4S about a month and a half ago and i decided to swap it out for a GS3, i was witgin the 14 day restock period so i did it. I had unlimited data at the time and when i swapped my 4S for a GS3 i still kept my unlimited data and i still have unlimited data to this day... idk how im not really sure but its amazing for sure lmao unlimited 4G baby!!

Im about to sell my GS3 though and get a i5, im going to use my moms upgrade that she said i can use because she could care less about phones and im just going to switch it over to my line.... hopefully the unlimited data stays

13. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the clarification. And no, she does not have unlimited.

14. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

If you are on a family plan and you upgrade a line then that line will no longer have unlimited data. Unlimited data is no more.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My, my, my...aren't we charming, good humored, patient and friendly.

I apologize for all us incredibly stupid morons who have never read a book and, obviously, have made your life difficult and unpleasant.

I'll try to read a book and get smarter, and I beg your forgiveness for existing in your world and creating such misery for you.

:rolleyes:

16. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I would speak slower and use small words, but since I'm typing, the speaking slower part wouldn't translate well.

17. CatsTide macrumors 6502

That is not true...don't jump on a thread posting wrong info!

18. jetlagged, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

jetlagged macrumors 6502

this is good to know. well currently i have an iphone 4 with verizon, i
    m eligible for upgrade, but definitely want to keep my unlimited. i want to purchase the iphone 5 and hope to get it by next month.

how do i go about doing the above method? will i have to pay extra? i'm currently paying $66 a month for 450 min/250 messaging/unlimited data.
    so not sure if i'lll be paying extra for a new line or how that's gonna work. i went to verizon.com and apple.com to try it out and add a new line, but its forcing me to select a plan and stuff.

so yeah give me a breakdown of how much i will be paying/month if i go the add a new line route? or is it just i'm better off buying full retail because i'm a single guy and have no need for an extra line. seems like i have to pay an extra monthly cellphone bill for an extra line which i dont want.

19. oreo1112 macrumors newbie

Posted this on the other Verizon loophole thread...hopefully someone can help me!!

I have been reading this forum and trying to figure out how I can keep my unlimited plan but get the new Iphone 5.

Line 1(my line): Smartphone (with unlimited data) able to upgrade 10/7/12
    Line 2: "Dumb"phone not able to upgrade till 2/2013
    Line 3: "Dumb"phone not able to upgrade till 2/2013

I live chatted with two different Verizon reps and they said two different things!! :(

Can someone please help me!! I would like to upgrade to the iphone 5 on my line but also keep my unlimited data plan!! Thanks in advance everyone!!

Attached Files:

20. CatsTide, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

CatsTide macrumors 6502

you have a family plan?
    only way to not lose the unlimited on line 1 is to not get an upgrade on that line. you can add another line,get the i5 with a 2gb plan. then switch the new line to a dumb phone ,cancel the 2gb plan and put the i5 on line 1.

21. oreo1112 macrumors newbie

I am currently on a family plan. I dont want to purchase another phone to get the Iphone 5 and keep my unlimited data plan. So it seems like I either have to wait until one of the other lines is able to upgrade also or just suck it up and lose my unlimited data. :(

22. CatsTide macrumors 6502

correct. a new line is only 10 bucks a month though.

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this is the only way it will work if you want to buy the phone subsidized. i'f youre not willing to add a line you either have to give up unlimited or buy full price. sorry

24. scmguru macrumors member

So if I have a single line with unlimited data, i know i can buy a full price ip5.

How about adding a new line and paying full price for the second phone? Will that get me two phones with unlim data?

I'm guessing no..