Verizon iPad 2 on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by famous600, Oct 6, 2012.

1. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Thought I would ask the pros. I know with the Verizon iPhone you can run gevey and use GSM networks but is there any work around for the Verizon iPad? I do t keep up much on the iPad technology until a Verizon 3G iPad 2 fell on my lap. So can I do anything to run my AT&T sim or a prepaid sim? Thanks fellas

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not a hundred percent certain, but I'm pretty sure that the reason that works with iPhones is because iPhones from 4S on up are compatible with both CDMA and GSM, while the Verizon iPad 2 is CDMA only. So it wouldn't work with the iPad 2. I think with iPad 3, you can put in an AT&T SIM and have it work -- I haven't really been paying much attention, but theoretically, it should work.

3. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Yeah I know the LTE new model can be run on ATT. Just wasnt sure if anyone has unlocked an iPad 2 like in the iPhone world. I just dont keep tabs on the iPad.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not a matter of locking/unlocking -- the hardware of Verizon iPad 2 is incompatible with AT&T network. I don't think the Verizon iPad is locked at all, it's just that its hardware doesn't work with AT&T. By the same token, you can't use an AT&T iPad 2 on Verizon either, even though they aren't locked. You can take AT&T iPads to Europe and use them with the carriers there, because they all use GSM, but an AT&T iPad 2 doesn't work on Verizon, because Verizon uses CDMA.

5. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

No problem. Thanks for the help!

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you already have the verizon ipad, try to insert the SIM somewhere. (if you can) :p
    There is no entry for a SIM.

7. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

good call haha. i dont have it in my possession yet so wasnt sure about that as well.