Verizon iPad 3 won't activate

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mzkb, May 11, 2014.

1. mzkb macrumors newbie

My iPad 3 died. Apple gave me a new one and my verizon won't activate the LTE service. Verizon says it's not their problem and Apple gave me a non Verizon iPad. Att says it's not theirs either.
    I've been thru 2 more iPad 3's to get them to activate and 3 SIM cards. No lunch anywhere.
    Except Verizon will take my money for the service.
    I've been to the Apple store 5 times and 2 different Verizon stores 7 times. They just blame each other. They have tallied to each other thru many departments while I was at one or the other.
    So, verizon says they can request my iPad be put on their system, but won't guarantee it will work.
    Apple says I can go to att with my Verizon iPad and get another SIM card and use att service.
    Att isn't sure. Apple doesn't want to test any more iPads as they don't have mine any longer. I can't afford to buy a new one. I'm so frustrated and this has been going on almost 2 months. My warranty on my iPad is up soon. I need my LTE wifi service to work.
    Any ideas or help? Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's a non Verizon iPad but its not an AT&T iPad either? I'm confused as the iPad 3 only came in Verizon and AT&T variants.

3. mzkb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes

iPad only came with att or Verizon at that time. It is a Verizon iPad, something is wrong with their system and they don't know what to do, so it's not their problem.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you try calling Verizon customer service instead of going to a store? I've found their telephone support tends to know what they are doing and gets things like this done much faster than their stores.

5. mzkb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Yes I have called Verizon and spoken to at least 9 managers or supervisors and 5 tech guys. Two say they have it solved, but they didn't. I have to go back to Apple again. Ridiculous!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. When you first exchanged your iPad, you didn't happen to keep the SIM card that was in it, did you? Taking the old SIM card and sticking it into the new iPad should have worked.

7. mzkb thread starter macrumors newbie

SIM card

Yes, they did put the old sim in it. It didn't work. Tried 3 other new sim cards and nothing. Verizon says it's Apple's problem and Apple says it's a Verizon problem.
    One tech guy I spoke with said that maybe when it was "refurbished" they deleted it from Verizon.
    ATT says they cannot activate it, but Apple says they can.
    Its a mess and I need something done today.

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Ran into something possibly similar during iPhone 5 launch day with Verizon.

Wandered in around 3PM and jokingly asked if they had any left. They did, so I bought.

Won't activate.

Verizon is on-site, they ignore the poor Apple guy trying for 30-45 minutes to get it to activate.

Finally they get off their asses, as they've noticed I've been glaring at them sitting there.

After another 30 or so minutes, they got it figured out, someone had backed out of buying the phone earlier in the day. Apple returned it to stock (IIRC, the bar code scanned initially was on the box?), so it was in Apple's system as available, but it was stuck in Verizon's system as being in the middle of a purchase.

It took over an hour, even with Apple HQ, Verizon HQ and people at the store.

There are corner cases where getting something activated can be very tough to solve.

9. mzkb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hope this works

Well, back to the Apple store today. They replaced the iPad again and extended the warranty for me.
    This one did activate. Having a bit of trouble getting it registered, but it looks like it's going to work.
    Let's hope this is it.
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!