Verizon iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Mar 29, 2010.

1. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Since the Wall Street Journal said Apple is working an a Verizon iPhone for launch in September, what are the chances they'll make a Verizon iPad?

2. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Much less likely than the phone. (Which, though rumored for years, never seems to materialize.)

3. rmfair macrumors newbie

wait for Verizon ipad?

I have ordered the 3G ipad and now I'm seeing rumors that Verizon might get an Apple Tablet. I have an iphone with AT&T and also a droid from Verizon. I have been waiting FOREVER for Verizon to get an iphone and that looks like it might come true.... I am moving to Montana and Verizon owns Montana. AT&T doesn't even have data there. SHOULD I WAIT to order the ipad??

4. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
  6. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

It's not happening. Verizon/CDMA is no less a dead-end standard now than it was three years ago. Apple wants to sell these things world-wide. It's being sold sim-unlocked for a global audience (or so we hear).

7. GadgetX macrumors regular

Every year around this time rumors start flying and a Verizon iPhone is always brought up. I don't think it's going to happen now or ever for that matter, but hey thats just my best educated guess.

8. GadgetX macrumors regular

If you really want to use Verizons network with the iPad just go with a wifi iPad and a MiFi. As for a true Verizon iPad.. Don't hold your breath.

9. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

10. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

That's what I would expect. And not the fake 4G that Sprint is marketing. Actual 4G/LTE.

11. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Go ahead and wait. Let us know when you have one, if we're all still alive.

12. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

do you know what 4G means? Wimax is fake 4G? how so?

13. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

Yes. Yes. Read this.

14. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

Because it's an built from their existing 3G network where LTE is built from the ground up...something like that.

15. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

We've seen leaks of Verizon's iPad strategy before. If a customer brings up the iPad, they'll be encouraging the customer to consider buying a MiFi modem/router, which they could use to bring a mobile hotspot with them wherever they go. Then the customer can connect any number of WiFi-enabled devices including the WiFi-only version of the iPad.

They'll tout the benefit of being able to save money by buying the cheaper, non-3G version of the iPad. They'll brag about the more widespread geographical availability of 3G speeds with a MiFi on Verizon then you could get with any data-only 3G device on AT&T.

They'll conveniently forget to mention that you also have to factor in the purchase price of the MiFi. If you buy it at the fully discounted price, you'll be locked in to a service commitment for 2 years and face an ETF to opt out. There is no unlimited data option. If you want a service that's even remotely similar to unlimited data, you'll have a 5GB cap with overage fees, and activation fees.

And they'll also forget to mention that if you go for Verizon's non-contract prepaid service, you will have to pay full price for the MiFi, which pushes the price for the MiFi higher than the price premium you would have paid to get the AT&T 3G iPad.

On top of that, their prepaid rates range from a worst-case of 20 cents per MB of quota ($15 for 75MB that expires in 24 hours) to a best-case of 10 cents per MB of quota ($50 for 500MB that expires in 30 days), versus versus AT&T's worst-case rate of 6 cents per MB of quota ($15 for 250MB that expires in 30 days).

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Verizon CDMA iPhone in September. Makes too much sense. The hardware issues of creating a CDMA iPhone are trivial compared to working out a mutually acceptable business model with Verizon, and relative to the money to be gained from access to those 90 million phone subscribers. Not to mention the increased pressure Google is applying in the phone market.

I don't know about the iPad, but since it's a no-contract deal, I doubt there's that much pressure to go Verizon at this time. And maybe that was a sop to AT&T for bailing on the exclusivity with the iPhone.

17. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I don't see this being a big issue as the iPhone because the data plan is reasonable and there isn't a contract. Now if you have issues with AT&T...