Verizon iPads: Anyone seeing the LTE status indicator *before* signing up for data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macdude2, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macdude2 macrumors regular

Verizon's coverage maps indicate that I should be receiving LTE in this area, but I am still seeing only the 3G status indicator. I'd like to see if I can get LTE before I purchase the data plan. Is there anyone who has NOT purchased a Verizon data plan that is seeing the LTE status indicator?

2. mikepas macrumors member

When I turned on my new VZW iPad about an hour ago I saw the Verizon LTE symbol in the upper left and I have not signed up yet. It's turned on by default and I'm guessing it's just like a cell phone before it's activated in that it connects to the network automatically but just doesn't work until service is activated to the account.

3. macdude2 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured. I'll try resetting some of the settings and see what happens. Right now I'm only seeing 3G.

4. macdude2 thread starter macrumors regular

I've even tried leaving cellular data on for a while now and still not having any luck seeing the LTE symbol. Anyone else having these issues or is yours showing LTE just fine?

5. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Mine is showing LTE just fine. Like an earlier reply, mine was showing LTE from the get go.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Mine did NOT show LTE until I signed up. It showed 3G even though Verizon says I'm in LTE. As soon as I signed up for a data plan it went to LTE!

7. ethana macrumors 6502a

I had to restart the device for LTE to appear.

8. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Same experience here. Showed Verizon 3G then after I signed up, it shows LTE.

9. dread macrumors 6502a

Mines not showing LTE either. I called Verizon and they informed me that you have to sign up to activate the sim and then the LTE icon will appear.

10. macdude2 thread starter macrumors regular

This makes sense, but I don't understand why others were able to see the LTE icon before signing up.

11. dread macrumors 6502a

No idea. I stuck my AT&T sim in to check that the sim could be read and it worked so I feel better.

12. wsbsteven macrumors member

The Verizon store said let can take a few hours to activate.

13. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Took an hour or so to activate and the LTE eventually appeared on its own.

14. ljx718 macrumors 6502

If its 4g extended coverage, it's bull crap. I got it and they Pretty much admitted that it doesn't work.

15. dread macrumors 6502a

That extended coverage is a scam.

16. BigCatz macrumors member

No LTE out of the box for me, signed up and still nothing. Power off/power on and it stuck on Searching.... then still no LTE.

Coverage map says I should have it. What's the point of having a 4G device without 4G :confused:

17. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I couldn't get it to stay on lte so I did the following. Try it if you can't get lte to work

go to settings, reset, subscriber services and then hit reprovision account.

Restart it after those steps

18. BigCatz macrumors member

Thanks, I'll give that a go in a few hours. Once the weather improves the iPad is going outside or to the other side of the hill to see if the LTE lites up.

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Yeah, i wanted to see the LTE to know if i truly get LTE, the map says I'm blanketed. What nonsense.

20. macdude2 thread starter macrumors regular

Has this worked for anyone else?

21. 100Teraflops, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I have LTE service and the stickie/reminder provides a phone number to call if one doesnt have service 15 minutes after the transaction. I understand people might know this, but did you folks turn off your wifi before accessing Verizon's network? If so, ignore my post! :p

Edit: I didn't try what the other members recommended, some sort of reset or what not.

22. mph88 macrumors newbie

Nope that didn't work for me. I could barely even get one bar of 3G and it would keep changing to "Searching". I activated the iPad with Verizon (1GB). After about five minutes of "No Signal" the LTE icon popped up and now I have four bars. Very strange that I couldn't get signal before and now I have close to full...

23. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Let

lte won't activate it comes on for like 15 seconds then goes back to 3g

24. BigCatz macrumors member

Hey that's 15 seconds more than me! :p

Check the coverage maps on sensorly.com, which show peer testing results. Their tests show I am in a 4G/LTE deadzone in spite of VZ's insistence that "4G is available in my area." VZ's definition of "my area" unfortunately must be very lenient.

25. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Try my steps. I had the exact same situation. I haven't gone back to 3G after I did the reset process.