Verizon iPads: Anyone seeing the LTE status indicator *before* signing up for data?

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Verizon's coverage maps indicate that I should be receiving LTE in this area, but I am still seeing only the 3G status indicator. I'd like to see if I can get LTE before I purchase the data plan. Is there anyone who has NOT purchased a Verizon data plan that is seeing the LTE status indicator?

mikepas

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Verizon's coverage maps indicate that I should be receiving LTE in this area, but I am still seeing only the 3G status indicator. I'd like to see if I can get LTE before I purchase the data plan. Is there anyone who has NOT purchased a Verizon data plan that is seeing the LTE status indicator?
When I turned on my new VZW iPad about an hour ago I saw the Verizon LTE symbol in the upper left and I have not signed up yet. It's turned on by default and I'm guessing it's just like a cell phone before it's activated in that it connects to the network automatically but just doesn't work until service is activated to the account.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
When I turned on my new VZW iPad about an hour ago I saw the Verizon LTE symbol in the upper left and I have not signed up yet. It's turned on by default and I'm guessing it's just like a cell phone before it's activated in that it connects to the network automatically but just doesn't work until service is activated to the account.
That's what I figured. I'll try resetting some of the settings and see what happens. Right now I'm only seeing 3G.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
That's what I figured. I'll try resetting some of the settings and see what happens. Right now I'm only seeing 3G.
I've even tried leaving cellular data on for a while now and still not having any luck seeing the LTE symbol. Anyone else having these issues or is yours showing LTE just fine?

macbookguy

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I've even tried leaving cellular data on for a while now and still not having any luck seeing the LTE symbol. Anyone else having these issues or is yours showing LTE just fine?
Mine is showing LTE just fine. Like an earlier reply, mine was showing LTE from the get go.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Mine did NOT show LTE until I signed up. It showed 3G even though Verizon says I'm in LTE. As soon as I signed up for a data plan it went to LTE!

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Mine did NOT show LTE until I signed up. It showed 3G even though Verizon says I'm in LTE. As soon as I signed up for a data plan it went to LTE!
Same experience here. Showed Verizon 3G then after I signed up, it shows LTE.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Mines not showing LTE either. I called Verizon and they informed me that you have to sign up to activate the sim and then the LTE icon will appear.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Mines not showing LTE either. I called Verizon and they informed me that you have to sign up to activate the sim and then the LTE icon will appear.
This makes sense, but I don't understand why others were able to see the LTE icon before signing up.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
If its 4g extended coverage, it's bull crap. I got it and they Pretty much admitted that it doesn't work.

BigCatz

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
No LTE out of the box for me, signed up and still nothing. Power off/power on and it stuck on Searching.... then still no LTE.

Coverage map says I should have it. What's the point of having a 4G device without 4G :confused:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I couldn't get it to stay on lte so I did the following. Try it if you can't get lte to work

go to settings, reset, subscriber services and then hit reprovision account.

Restart it after those steps

BigCatz

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
I couldn't get it to stay on lte so I did the following. Try it if you can't get lte to work

Thanks, I'll give that a go in a few hours. Once the weather improves the iPad is going outside or to the other side of the hill to see if the LTE lites up.

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Yeah, i wanted to see the LTE to know if i truly get LTE, the map says I'm blanketed. What nonsense.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006

Has this worked for anyone else?

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I have LTE service and the stickie/reminder provides a phone number to call if one doesnt have service 15 minutes after the transaction. I understand people might know this, but did you folks turn off your wifi before accessing Verizon's network? If so, ignore my post! :p

Edit: I didn't try what the other members recommended, some sort of reset or what not.

Last edited:

mph88

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Has this worked for anyone else?
Nope that didn't work for me. I could barely even get one bar of 3G and it would keep changing to "Searching". I activated the iPad with Verizon (1GB). After about five minutes of "No Signal" the LTE icon popped up and now I have four bars. Very strange that I couldn't get signal before and now I have close to full...

BigCatz

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
lte won't activate it comes on for like 15 seconds then goes back to 3g

Hey that's 15 seconds more than me! :p

Check the coverage maps on sensorly.com, which show peer testing results. Their tests show I am in a 4G/LTE deadzone in spite of VZ's insistence that "4G is available in my area." VZ's definition of "my area" unfortunately must be very lenient.